GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

He almost did. But got shafted by Dublin Football. Long story, and done to death on other forums

He is available and if the t’s & c’s are similar to before; he won’t be leaving the bank.

The poison dwarf will put Dublin Hurling back 10 yrs. Its an appointment that will be Dublin’s biggest mistake since greenlighting the Ballymun Towers.

Is that a serious question Puke? Davy has trained an inter-county team for a couple of months and all of a sudden he’s the most experienced man for this job

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]He almost did. But got shafted by Dublin Football. Long story, and done to death on other forums

He is available and if the t’s & c’s are similar to before; he won’t be leaving the bank.

The poison dwarf will put Dublin Hurling back 10 yrs. Its an appointment that will be Dublin’s biggest mistake since greenlighting the Ballymun Towers.[/quote]

time will tell…i don’t think it will be a bad decision…davy is a very innovative coach/trainer and passing on his expertise and guidence to coaches in dublin will have many benefits and if the right frameworks are put in place it could be a roaring success…you never know if this goes well davy could well be a future president of the association;)…

I’m Laughing so much I’ve a pain in me face

thanks Puke
I’ll look forward to his coaching seminiars and his All Ireland day speeches.

I just hope he doesn’t get lost in the Cumann na mBunscoil crowd

Very good!

Puke, I know you’ve great respect for Davy Fitz but he still is relatively inexperienced. But I suppose that doesn’t mean he can’t be a success either.

[quote=“Bandage”]Very good!

Puke, I know you’ve great respect for Davy Fitz but he still is relatively inexperienced. But I suppose that doesn’t mean he can’t be a success either.[/quote]

well he has been doing a similar role with LIT for the past 4 years…granted it has been on a much smaller scale…he has also been training/coaching teams since he was a teenager and the man is very good to come up with hurling drills…mentioned it on another thread before(think it was the wexford gaa one) he has something like 200 different goalkeeping drill, the majority of which he has devised himself…

Thats not what Dublin needs.

They need match skills, tactics and game plans; and a high focus on technical skills that will teach them to hurl themselves out of trouble rather than react.

They need to be lead by a leader and a class act; not some thumping stump who can’t even control his temper around minors.

Mind you I reckon his Goal Keeping drills might find a buyer in Galway.

[quote=“Mairegangaire”]Thats not what Dublin needs.

They need match skills, tactics and game plans; and a high focus on technical skills that will teach them to hurl themselves out of trouble rather than react.

.[/quote]

tactics and game plans comes down to the respect coaches that are over each team…granted davy would be there to give guidance but he wouldn’t be over any team directly…in the role he would be involved in setting up workshops and seminars etc where experienced coaches would come and talk to the boys at the grass roots level and help build up their understanding on this…

Not sure if there’s been any other major appointments in the past week.

I saw former Offaly player Richie Connor was ratified as their new football manager.

The intense speculation about Davy Fitz taking up that role in Dublin seems to have been dampened a bit. John Mullane was in the press the other day appealing for him to commit to Waterford for 2 or 3 years to build some foundations there.

I wonder if Pat O’Shea will come under any pressure in Kerry after last week?

[quote=“Bandage”]Not sure if there’s been any other major appointments in the past week.

I saw former Offaly player Richie Connor was ratified as their new football manager.

The intense speculation about Davy Fitz taking up that role in Dublin seems to have been dampened a bit. John Mullane was in the press the other day appealing for him to commit to Waterford for 2 or 3 years to build some foundations there.

I wonder if Pat O’Shea will come under any pressure in Kerry after last week?[/quote]

Not a dickie on either of the Dublin manger’s. Alls quiet- either great work being done to line up the candidates or else the DCB are fiddling on the deck of the titanic.

Think Mullins should be involved in some way. Think its essential with this crop of players that a “All Ireland winner” is involved, someone to reassure them and tell them what it takes to win. The psychology of winning has been tough for the current crop so I think its absolutely crucial that the football manager is somebody they respect who has been there and done it before.

WBY

I hear Nicky English is close to taking the Dublin job and that Keaney will go back hurling with them if he does.

The Limerick situation is a farce, they’ve had all summer but here we are facing the county final and we’ve no man installed. What form book is he going to be working off for next year…?

Knowledgeable posting on the Dublin hurling vacancy By Puke and Maire, but I’m thinking that Mac’s earlier post re: Davy and Dessie Dolan is a wind-up.
Leitrim couldn’t wait to get rid of him - all he wants is to fish. Tactically, very one dimensional and “allegedly” poor man-management skills.

Keith Barr on the radio earlier said that he thinks Mullins and Pat O’Neill are getting the Dublin job. But you can’t believe everything you hear on the radio - heard Jimmy Magee earlier telling us that the Leinster - Munster Magners League game was last night.

Really?! :wink:

Mac:
You Phucker, I must have bought that one.

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER**”]I hear Nicky English is close to taking the Dublin job and that Keaney will go back hurling with them if he does.

The Limerick situation is a farce, they’ve had all summer but here we are facing the county final and we’ve no man installed. What form book is he going to be working off for next year…?[/quote]

yeah thats what I heard too.
But a nugget from last year:
Conal said he’d return to hurling if Nicky came on board then, but DCB saw it as a problem given their 08 ambitions.
However this time around I think the Leinster Council will “encourage” the Dublin Hurling appointment.

One thing ye can hold me to for the 09 season. If Nicky takes the gig, and I hope for the game I love and the team I want to support, attendances will quadruple for the league.

This is the manager’s job so - not a development type role? No harm in a bit of profile anyway and might even take some of the pages of analysis away from the footballers.

[quote=“Boxtyeater”]Mac:
You Phucker, I must have bought that one.[/quote]

No bother lad, can’t believe you fell for it though!

I could be all wrong here but does this line not indicate that Boxty knew it was a wind-up?

Thats what I thought until he mentioned the fishing and man management line and then said he must have bought it.