GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

from rte.ie

Tony Considine has officially withdrawn as a candidate to succeed Richie Bennis as next Limerick hurling manager.

It is believed that the length of the interview process has played a part in the ex-Clare supremo’s decision.

Subsequently, Justin McCarthy will be interviewed by the selection committee tonight and the former Waterford boss is now seen as the favourite for the post

a few of the limerick die hards can breathe a sigh of relief

No offence to ye in Clare Pukey, but we didn’t want that fella. Seemed to make a right mess of Clare last year.

yeah was talking to a few limerick heads and they didn’t want him either…in fairness the problem wasn’t al his fault in clare last year a lot of it has to do with the county board and wanting to be in control…

don’t think justin is the answer either…but there aren’t too many other options i suppose…who else is in the picture SS**…

Richie is still plugging away, then you’ve Pat Herbert, and Eddie Murphy. Eddie hasn’t been in too many big movies lately so this may tell against him. :wink:

I want Justin to give it a lash, proven track record and a coach as opposed to a manager. I think you could put Brian Cody in charge of our lads and we’d still come up short. We’re miles away from having the raw material for an All Ireland with Kilkenny around.

Jaysus, anyone that gets Tony is just asking for trouble.

Am I the only 1 that thinks that the manager for the county team should either be:
A) Proven Inter-County manager who is looking to come home to his home county
:wink: Proven club manager looking for the next step on the ladder
C) Proven underage county manager, looking for next step on the ladder?

Woops

D) Successfully Selector who has proven leadership abilities

from what i hear a lot of lads would like pat herbert but like you say i don’t think the talent is there in the current to even win a munster title let alone an all ireland…ye have a few nice young hurlers the likes of hickey, o mahoney, macnamara and ryan but a lot of the lads in the 25-30 age bracket ren’t up to it…

Puke, I’d say a combo of Clare, Limerick and Tipp would struggle to beat Kilkenny the way things are going. Hopefully it can’t last for ever. If they go into the doldrums we’re all back in the game. Just have to wait and be ready to capitalise when we get the chance.

[quote=“Clareman”]Jaysus, anyone that gets Tony is just asking for trouble.

Am I the only 1 that thinks that the manager for the county team should either be:
:wink: Proven club manager looking for the next step on the ladder
C) Proven underage county manager, looking for next step on the ladder?[/quote]

In the case of Limerick & Woohurfurd B is the answer
B is someone who knows the club scene and the new blood.

In Cork its just a case of who’s turn is it next.

[quote=“Clareman”]Woops

D) Successfully Selector who has proven leadership abilities[/quote]

Limerick Nomad

well kilkenny are a nice bit ahead of everyone at the moment and i reckon they will probably win 2 of the next three all ireland but when the likes of kavanagh, shefflin, comerford, hickey and brennans powers start to wain in a couple of years time they won’t be as strong…granted they have players coming through but there is no guarentee they will be as good collectively as this bunch…

tipp and clare both will be stronger next year as will offaly and galway…cork need to start looking at the bigger picture and start rebuilding for the future while limerick need to get rid of some dead wood…hard to know about waterford and wexford as i don’t really know what is coming through from either…

kilkenny will probably win the all ireland next year and then i can see the gap closing a bit and hopefully the championship might open up a bit…

[quote=“Clareman”]Jaysus, anyone that gets Tony is just asking for trouble.

:slight_smile: Proven club manager looking for the next step on the ladder
C) Proven underage county manager, looking for next step on the ladder?[/quote]

A) Eamon Cregan
http://www.thefreekick.com/board/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool.gif Tony Considine
C) Dave Keane

Jose Mourinho couldn’t turn our lot around.
Justin might improve a few of them, and in turn they might take some of it back to their clubs.
Ollie Moran, for one, might jump at the chance of benefitting from McCarthy’s experience.
Man-mangmnt and tactical nous aside, nobody has ever denied he’s an excellent coach, and we have skill deficit to address.

justin macarthy has accepted the job as the new limerick huling manager…to be ratified by the county board on tuesday

I am as giddy as a Geordie on hearing King Kev has returned. Let’s hope the expectation doesn’t mushroom just because Justin is at the helm, men as big as him have floundered on Shannonside. I think he will get the best out of what we have that’s all we can hope for.

Glenn Ryan is taking over from Luke Dempsey at Longford according to RTE. He led the Kildare U-21s to a Leinster title last year but McGeeney’s there for the next couple of years with their seniors so there was no natural progression for him within the county at the moment. He’ll probably be a future Kildare senior manager though.

Correct. Shock result in the Kildare semis yesterday - Sars beat Moorefield 0-6 to 0-5.

here…don’t be bracketing us with Ye mullockers and drinkers.

We’re Tipp I hope you know.

Ye are as in as bad a state as anyone tipptops*. Jimmy Doyle must be aghast at the flakiness of the current Tipp team.

The year Tipperary took back hurling.

Watch this space.

I won’t hold my breath. I hear Eoin Kelly is looking like the Michelin Man already.