GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Lost out by 1 vote it seems, 29-28.

For me McGeeney did well at Kildare.

Got the best out of a very average bunch of players.

Nearly got them to an All Ireland in 2010. Remember Coulter’s square ball goal?

Similar fate in 2011 against Donegal in the quarter where a perfectly good Tomas O’Connor goal was ruled out for a square ball.

Two average years in 2012 and 2013. Got them into the top 4 in Division 1 this year though. I don’t think that bunch of players are a Division 1 team.

I like the bloke I must say. Seems pretty unassuming. I respect him as well.

From a football point of view alone that’s a fucking crazy decision.

There’s more going on than football though, the clubs are sick of the fixture situation for a start and I’d say the finances also have a role to play. Presume the Ryan boys are front runners.

McGeeney to Laois?

No.

Interesting one. The players won’t be too happy about this.

They’re seething

Tommy Carr and Val Andrews have already expressed an interest.

No harm for some players to realise that the county team is not the be all and end all of the GAA.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 825777, member: 24”]I spoke to an ex Leitrim player (early 2000s vintage - he’s around 35 now) who is being interviewed this week for the Leitrim job. He previously coached the Minors. He is a bit of a nutter so that may be a good thing.[/quote]usually it’s not farmer.

Does that rule you out of the Cork job then Kev?

For a few years fitzy ya.

What are the systems that have to be in place for Jim McGuinness to remain as Donegal manager? Very cryptic from him last week.

He can cancel club games any time he wants

McGeeney was hated by the clubs. The Club scene had turned into a farce while McGeeney was Kildare manager. Once I heard the decision was down to the club delegates I knew he was in trouble. To be honest he should have got the bullet last year. Outside managers will give the team a bit of a lift initially but more often than not their tenures go flat.

Can someone give examples of how his tenure was affecting the club scene?
How is the senior championship run off in Kildare?

There was absolutely no senior championship matches played while Kildare were still in the championship. Often a 3 month gap between 1st senior club game and the next one. Most of the players didnt play in League games either. Led to massive resentment in the clubs to McGeeney.

Who was the last decent team Kildare beat in the Championship under McGeeneys tenure?

Limerick and they were poxed to do so.