GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

There will be a 5 month gap in Dublin this year.

OK, anyone else other than Limerick?

Unacceptable situation.

Is that not a similar situation to most counties?

Probably but I think thats fairly common in Dublin, They are almost used to it! Before McGeeney the Kildare championship used to be run fairly smoothly throughout the year and then McGeeney changed the whole way the thing was run. Im only going on what I have been told by a club player in Kildare. He was hated by the clubs because he dictated when Club matches would be played.

But why would whoever succeeds McGeeney be any different in their demands? As has already been said this is the way almost all counties who are serious about success at inter-county level operate.

If Glenn Ryan makes the same demands what happens? Will they then be accepted because he’s from Kildare as opposed to an outsider like McGeeney?

Were Kildare often involved late in the championship before McGeeney anyway?

[quote=“Sidney, post: 826048, member: 183”]But why would whoever succeeds McGeeney be any different in their demands? As has already been said this is the way almost all counties who are serious about success at inter-county level operate.

If Glenn Ryan makes the same demands what happens? Will they then be accepted because he’s from Kildare as opposed to an outsider like McGeeney?[/quote]

Are Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Galway to name a few not serious about Success? Im not saying that players have to play every week with their clubs but under Mcgeeney Kildare players might not play with their club for 3 months because they couldnt play league games either. There is a balance to strike between clubs and inter county teams something which McGeeney completely ignored.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 826048, member: 183”]But why would whoever succeeds McGeeney be any different in their demands? As has already been said this is the way almost all counties who are serious about success at inter-county level operate.

If Glenn Ryan makes the same demands what happens? Will they then be accepted because he’s from Kildare as opposed to an outsider like McGeeney?[/quote]
Yes but being a Kildare Clubman Ryan will no doubt be more sympathetic to the Clubs and not try ride roughshod over them as McGeeney has done. He burnt his bridges.

not since micko.

McGeeney seems to have had a good affect on the underage structure within the county.

So he’ll make the same demands, just with a smile on his face?

They were involved in a few Leinster final in the early part of the 00s but not much in the 2 or 3 years before McGeeney took over.

He will give Clubs some leeway if hes a smart man, releasing panel member for Club games etc. word is McGeeney released none and punished all who tried to turn out for Club, even unused league subs.

This is my big issue with a lot of the inter county stuff that goes on.
You have a young lad brought on to the panel at 19/20, he’s left on the bench for league games and at the same time told he’s not allow play with his club in league games, or even sneakier told to play away with his club in the league game “if that’s what he wants” i.e. go away playing league games and you can forget about getting a run.

The cruel fact of the matter is too that of the 32 or squad training with a county team, 8 or 9 of them are only there so they can play 15 on 15 matches at training.

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 826065, member: 1786”]This is my big issue with a lot of the inter county stuff that goes on.
You have a young lad brought on to the panel at 19/20, he’s left on the bench for league games and at the same time told he’s not allow play with his club in league games, or even sneakier told to play away with his club in the league game “if that’s what he wants” i.e. go away playing league games and you can forget about getting a run.

The cruel fact of the matter is too that of the 32 or squad training with a county team, 8 or 9 of them are only there so they can play 15 on 15 matches at training.[/quote]
Even in Limerick this year we had training matches between the seniors and 21s early in the season where 21s players on the senior panel were sitting on the bench for the seniors instead of starting for the 21s. Madness.

Cian O’Neill would be a good choice if he is available.

Cork hurlers S&C coach is from Kildare as well - seems to have been able to add a lot of pace to that Cork team. Also worth sounding out.

I can’t wait for this statement from the Kildare players, they must be at a dangerous level of seethingness by now.

Club games should be fixed by Croke Park and take the power away from inter county managers and county boards. If this was the case each county manager would know before they take the job that they’ve no control but equally are at no disadvantage to their peers. I’d foresee a scenario whereby county players play games with the club but train with the county team.

It’s the only way a proper streamlined fixtures program will ever be implemented. Inter county players should be compelled to play if fit.

Each county championship should be of a format such that all club players get a similar number of games therefore equalising the risk/benefits across all counties.

The status quo in most counties is a shambles. Wexford are playing off the championships in a blitz format after a length period of championship inactivity.

[quote=“Appendage, post: 826144, member: 11”]Club games should be fixed by Croke Park and take the power away from inter county managers and county boards. If this was the case each county manager would know before they take the job that they’ve no control but equally are at no disadvantage to their peers. I’d foresee a scenario whereby county players play games with the club but train with the county team.

It’s the only way a proper streamlined fixtures program will ever be implemented. Inter county players should be compelled to play if fit.

Each county championship should be of a format such that all club players get a similar number of games therefore equalising the risk/benefits across all counties.

The status quo in most counties is a shambles. Wexford are playing off the championships in a blitz format after a length period of championship inactivity.[/quote]

That’s stupid.

I don’t think so.

In fairness to McGeeney, he seems to have had the full backing of the players.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/kildare-players-react-angrily-to-kieran-mcgeeney-s-dismissal-1.1515728