GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

Johnny Doyle’s angst was diverted into one my many social media streams. The comments that follow it are an embarrassment to the education institutions of this country.

We are a nation of simple yokels.

Altho ud swear by sum of dem dat Geezer woz goin 4 3 in a row.

[quote=“kerry1891, post: 826322, member: 1379”]spot on re Cork. Compare to the Dublin hurlers who kept players away from clubs in the 5 week break between the leinster final and semi final. Kerry footballers go back to their clubs a bit during the summer, Kilkenny hurlers always have. If Geezer is not playing ball on this front, its no wonder the clubs have voted the way they have.

The “brainless fools” tweet is also very distastleful and unfair[/quote]

Kilkenny’s hurlers always get thrown in here but Cody was fairly quick about culling the club games this year when they lost to Dublin. Traditionally they’ve had a canter through Leinster followed by a 6 week break which gave them ample time to run off 2 rounds of the club championship with 3 or 4 weeks left to prepare.

true to some extent. Cork played a round of club hurling games after the all Ireland semi final and I think also after the munster final. Dublin hurlers could surely have sent players back to clubs in the 5 week break. Dublin footballers have had a clear path through the front door yet no club championship games being played for ages now. Kerry have got through enough rounds to be at the QF stage. Some counties better than others. McGeeney not the only offender in fairness to him.

[quote=“count of monte cristo, post: 826055, member: 348”]not since micko.

McGeeney seems to have had a good affect on the underage structure within the county.[/quote]

Based on what count? From what I understand he was just 21’s selector. How is that going to change or influence structures

[quote=“Appendage, post: 826144, member: 11”]Club games should be fixed by Croke Park and take the power away from inter county managers and county boards. If this was the case each county manager would know before they take the job that they’ve no control but equally are at no disadvantage to their peers. I’d foresee a scenario whereby county players play games with the club but train with the county team.

It’s the only way a proper streamlined fixtures program will ever be implemented. Inter county players should be compelled to play if fit.

Each county championship should be of a format such that all club players get a similar number of games therefore equalising the risk/benefits across all counties.

The status quo in most counties is a shambles. Wexford are playing off the championships in a blitz format after a length period of championship inactivity.[/quote]

My staggered championship suggestion is the only thing (or a variation of it) that can work. The provincial championships don’t work as much because of uneven numbers as anything else.

You are right, Croke Park need to take control of fixtures. County boards are too weak an bitter to make fair decisions, clubs are too reactionary, County managers are too selfish and ignorant and County players narrow minded.

That’s cos all he is, is a fan, he looks at it as if it was the EPL. He doesn’t play or give a fuck about clubs.

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 826210, member: 2272”]Cork hurlers played club games the week after the semi-final win over Dublin. A lot of the players seemed to think it was a good release.

Cork are in an All Ireland Final. Kildare are not.[/quote]
And never will be.

I think it would be most informative to find out the last Club game he was at.

based on the underage results during his tenure.

It could be a coincidence.

[quote=“count of monte cristo, post: 826407, member: 348”]based on the underage results during his tenure.

It could be a coincidence.[/quote]
Jesus the lads working on the underage in structures in Kildare will thank you for that.

The Kildare ultras (Emmet Bolton) make their feelings know.

Theyve won 2 u21 leinster and 1 minor since McGeeneys.

before this they last won a minor in 1991.

Say what you want but the Co. Board adding McGeeney as a manager was somewhat a declaration of intent of the seriousness of the assualt that they were going to make on Sam Maguire. They knew he would bring a level of professionalism to the post. This in turn engendered more interest in Gaelic football.

Bear in mind this is my opinion.

[quote=“count of monte cristo, post: 826410, member: 348”]Theyve won 2 u21 leinster and 1 minor since McGeeneys.

before this they last won a minor in 1991.

Say what you want but the Co. Board adding McGeeney as a manager was somewhat a declaration of intent of the seriousness of the assualt that they were going to make on Sam Maguire. They knew he would bring a level of professionalism to the post. This in turn engendered more interest in Gaelic football.

Bear in mind this is my opinion.[/quote]
A rookie first time manager was a statement of intent about an assault on Sam? This was a county who 5 years previously had the most fabled manager of all time in charge of them, so its not like they were wandering in the desert for 40 years or anything.

Also, you’re saying that 6 years ago, some 15 year olds decided because McGeeney came in charge of Kildare, he was going to knuckle down and learn all the skills of the game necessary to win a Leinster U21 in 2013? Also, I’m curious, when McGeeney was appointed in 2007, what would his influence have been in them winning an U21 in 2008? It was a credit to the rookie managers abilities that he could revolutionise that Kildare U21 panel in a matter of weeks and months.

The hurling boys are right, this bogball is a fierce simple sport altogether.

[quote=“myboyblue, post: 826414, member: 180”]A rookie first time manager was a statement of intent about an assault on Sam? This was a county who 5 years previously had the most fabled manager of all time in charge of them, so its not like they were wandering in the desert for 40 years or anything.

Also, you’re saying that 6 years ago, some 15 year olds decided because McGeeney came in charge of Kildare, he was going to knuckle down and learn all the skills of the game necessary to win a Leinster U21 in 2013? Also, I’m curious, when McGeeney was appointed in 2007, what would his influence have been in them winning an U21 in 2008? It was a credit to the rookie managers abilities that he could revolutionise that Kildare U21 panel in a matter of weeks and months.

The hurling boys are right, this bogball is a fierce simple sport altogether.[/quote]

Also, you’re saying that 6 years ago, some 15 year olds decided because McGeeney came in charge of Kildare, he was going to knuckle down and learn all the skills of the game necessary to win a Leinster U21 in 2013?

I did not not say this, you are making an inference. McGeeneys appointment may have engendered more interest in the game. Yes, he was a rookie manager but everyone knew he was going to be a serious man.

Also, I’m curious, when McGeeney was appointed in 2007, what would his influence have been in them winning an U21 in 2008

I dont have any facts no more than you do so I think i’ll repsond in cliches " a rising tide lifts all boats"

It was a credit to the rookie managers abilities that he could revolutionise that Kildare U21 panel in a matter of weeks and months.

At that age little thing like strength and conditiong would have a big affect.

As i siad in the last post this is my opinion, if you dont like it fuck off.

You’ve made a holy show of yourself here.

:oops:

some person i dont know on an anonymous internet forum had formed the opinion that I have made a show of myself.

number of fucks i could? Zero.

some person i dont know on an anonymous internet forum had formed the opinion that I have made a show of myself.

number of fucks i could? Zero.[/quote]
Enough fucks to reply twice. The Internet, it’ll fuck you up.

[quote=“Appendage, post: 826144, member: 11”]Club games should be fixed by Croke Park and take the power away from inter county managers and county boards. If this was the case each county manager would know before they take the job that they’ve no control but equally are at no disadvantage to their peers. I’d foresee a scenario whereby county players play games with the club but train with the county team.

It’s the only way a proper streamlined fixtures program will ever be implemented. Inter county players should be compelled to play if fit.

Each county championship should be of a format such that all club players get a similar number of games therefore equalising the risk/benefits across all counties.

The status quo in most counties is a shambles. Wexford are playing off the championships in a blitz format after a length period of championship inactivity.[/quote]

I dont Agree that Croke Park should fix the club games, However I do agree with you that Croke Park need to get involved. Id be more in favour of suggesting something like a directive from Croke Park that every club has to Have at least 2 championship matches played by the start of August. Id then leave it up to the discretion of County boards after August. There should be no more than four weeks between any club championship match at club level.

I think I did a thesis on this on this very website circa 2007.

The problem is not that clubs don’t get games before August, it’s that there’s no coherent fixture list.

Inter county fixtures and club fixtures are inextricably linked so saying there should be no more than 4 weeks between club games is pointless because successful dual conties like Wexford and Limerick will have county teams out for 4 or 5 weeks in a row at times.

County Boards are generally run by idiots who are more susceptible to parish pump politics than most organisations. Big brother needs to be involved in setting the dates. The venues and times the local hicks can fight over.

The GAA has some funny conventions like the 9 day rule, meaning that inter county managers can basically prevent games being played the weekend before a championship match. Yet FIFA only allow 5 days before internationals. GAA is only a hobby FFS sake.

There’s a massive, radical over haul needed to bring the GAA up to speed in terms of providing structured meaningful games for most adult players. Some counties have decent leagues, like Dublin, but by and large it’s all about the championship which is totally contingent on an unsuccessful year for county teams.

[quote=“Appendage, post: 826478, member: 11”]I think I did a thesis on this on this very website circa 2007.

Inter county fixtures and club fixtures are inextricably linked so saying there should be no more than 4 weeks between club games is pointless because successful dual conties like Wexford and Limerick will have county teams out for 4 or 5 weeks in a row at times.
[/quote]

Sure if Croke Park were to set the fixtures they are going to have problems working around this aswell?

So all the shite you post up here about them is just for show ya?