GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

I’d say it’s a bit simplistic to say that. I’m sure there are plenty of deep pockets around Kildare to pay his expenses outside the normal running costs.

The statement from the players is very much focused on the Kildare Senior Football team as if that’s all that matters in Kildare. They’re also getting mixed up between leadership and democracy. McGeeney has been there for 6 years and won nothing. Arguments could be made from to stay or go but nothing overwhelming on each side as the vote showed.

I would be interested to know were the club delegates mandated to vote by their clubs or was it just a solo run, as is often the case. If it was a solo run then they should go back to the clubs on it.

There was a really poor article in the independent yesterday bemoaning player power, the implication being that players should have no opinion on anything. He cited Cork and Waterford as examples of groups that utilised player power and won nothing. Which is totally inaccruate.

[quote=“Appendage, post: 826853, member: 11”]I’d say it’s a bit simplistic to say that. I’m sure there are plenty of deep pockets around Kildare to pay his expenses outside the normal running costs.
[/quote]
You would think there was, but given the fact it took them something like 6 months to come up with a sponsor, and in the end came up with Brady’s Ham, it would suggest there isn’t. Throw in the advance, and then the bailout the CB got from Croke Park already, and it’s plain to see the well doesn’t seem to full in Kildare anymore.

[quote=“Appendage, post: 826853, member: 11”]I’d say it’s a bit simplistic to say that. I’m sure there are plenty of deep pockets around Kildare to pay his expenses outside the normal running costs.

[/quote]

They are up to their necks in debt and no one has stepped up

There are benefactors out there that wouldn’t give 50c to the county board but might give 50k to a manager. I very much doubt his direct costs were the reason he left.

Granted the cost of preparing the team might be an issue alright.

It would seem that the disdain shown for clubs has come back to bite.

I’m not really that bothered either way.

[quote=“Appendage, post: 826861, member: 11”]There are benefactors out there that wouldn’t give 50c to the county board but might give 50k to a manager. I very much doubt his direct costs were the reason he left.

Granted the cost of preparing the team might be an issue alright.

It would seem that the disdain shown for clubs has come back to bite.

I’m not really that bothered either way.[/quote]
Those sort of benefactors are another major problem in the GAA but thats for another day. Kildare can’t even afford a decent stadium and they’re horsing money into this fellas backroom team and a group of self righteous donkeys, madness.

That’s it, get the basics right. I suggested here that the club I’m with stop wasting big money on ex-AFL players who couldn’t give a fuck and don’t give it there all and give more money to the facilities and te S&C and medical teams to educate an train the enthusiastic and talente young lads we have. I was told that the sponsors don’t give a fuck about that, they love the big names. My reaction to that didn’t go down so well :smiley:

It seems like a very similar situation in Kildare and other counties. All cherry on top kind of stuff.

The statement from the players is very much focused on the Kildare Senior Football team as if that’s all that matters in Kildare. They’re also getting mixed up between leadership and democracy. McGeeney has been there for 6 years and won nothing. Arguments could be made from to stay or go but nothing overwhelming on each side as the vote showed.

I would be interested to know were the club delegates mandated to vote by their clubs or was it just a solo run, as is often the case. If it was a solo run then they should go back to the clubs on it.

There was a really poor article in the independent yesterday bemoaning player power, the implication being that players should have no opinion on anything. He cited Cork and Waterford as examples of groups that utilised player power and won nothing. Which is totally inaccruate.[/quote]
But that’s where the Kildare players focus should be. If there is an issue with McGeeney having too much say in how club fixtures are run, then that is the fault of the county board, not Kieran McGeeney. Every county manager will want as much access to their players as possible and it is up to the county board to say yes or no.

From an outsider looking in, I’d say they can’t afford him anymore and that’s why he’s gone. The players seem to have a lot of time for him and want him to stay and that’s understandable. Hard to say whether he’s done a good job or not-they’ve been fairly competitive during his tenure but usually well beaten when faced with the top 3 or 4 teams whatever year they faced him. Would a different manager have done any better with that panel of players? I doubt it. If he is costing too much money, should they have voted him out? Absolutely.

[quote=“Horsebox, post: 826926, member: 1537”]But that’s where the Kildare players focus should be. If there is an issue with McGeeney having too much say in how club fixtures are run, then that is the fault of the county board, not Kieran McGeeney. Every county manager will want as much access to their players as possible and it is up to the county board to say yes or no.

From an outsider looking in, I’d say they can’t afford him anymore and that’s why he’s gone. The players seem to have a lot of time for him and want him to stay and that’s understandable. Hard to say whether he’s done a good job or not-they’ve been fairly competitive during his tenure but usually well beaten when faced with the top 3 or 4 teams whatever year they faced him. Would a different manager have done any better with that panel of players? I doubt it. If he is costing too much money, should they have voted him out? Absolutely.[/quote]
Is there a dog track down in Kildare that they could race around to raise money for him?

The players? That would be entertaining-I’d back Johnny Doyle anyway the little whippet.

:rolleyes:

Get off this thread, bro-some good debate going on.

The players yes. That’s what they used to do in KK to fund the teams holidays until the players got notions.

There is in Newbridge, close by to that big facility they built that bankrupted them.

Maybe they should follow this lads way of fundraising - http://www.donedeal.ie/fieldsports-for-sale/signed-dublin-football-jersey/5629448

Given that the Clubs have shafted the players should the players refuse to turn out for the Clus? They seem awfully upset by their own Clubs, it would be a perfect way to get back at them surely?

I think the problem is they’re not playing with the clubs as it is.

This is quite a pickle.

Davy Fitzgerald is a brilliant manager.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Paul Bealin installed as Westmeath bainisteoir

This will be good