GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

[quote=“Midshipman Asha, post: 830654, member: 1508”]How do you know it wasn’t Michael Dempsey providing the altered sideline and tactical acumen? - he and Martin Fogarty joined together from the U21 setup and its always Dempsey standing on the sideline with him.

I wonder will the selectors meetings go on for weeks now instead of just days now there are four of them?[/quote]

Fogarty is the fitness guy isn’t he? I heard many times he had a great knack for pushing them to the right limits and was a great reader of the players and how hard each one could/needed to train. He was the balance to Cody’s flog them attitude?

Or am I mixing Dempsey an Fogarty up? I’m nearly certain I’m not as Fogarty was in my class studying S&C at one point.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 830659, member: 273”]Fogarty is the fitness guy isn’t he? I heard many times he had a great knack for pushing them to the right limits and was a great reader of the players and how hard each one could/needed to train. He was the balance to Cody’s flog them attitude?

Or am I mixing Dempsey an Fogarty up? I’m nearly certain I’m not as Fogarty was in my class studying S&C at one point.[/quote]

Michael Dempsey is the trainer. No reason that Martin Fogarty wouldn’t have been doing a S&C course at some stage though.

Fitness an trainer would be different guys in my world but we could be talking about the same thing. Ger Cunningham is the Cork “Trainer”, Dave Mathews is the fitness coach. JBM is manager.

Was that not the way with Dempsey, Fogarty & Cody in the same order?

Right, Michael Dempsey is the fitness guy then, I think it’s because he’s a selector too that it gets mixed up. I don’t think many other counties have the fitness person as selector too.

Generally not. Kerry are the exception off top of my head

I don’t know about Derek Lyng but James McGarry is definitely involved with the underage development squads.
They probably both coach with their clubs neither of with are senior- Emeralds are intermediate and Bennettsbridge are junior

[quote=“Midshipman Asha, post: 830676, member: 1508”]I don’t know about Derek Lyng but James McGarry is definitely involved with the underage development squads.
They probably both coach with their clubs neither of with are senior- Emeralds are intermediate and Bennettsbridge are junior[/quote]

McGarry managed Ballyhale Shamrocks back around 2009 and 2010

Remind me to get back to you on this

Dempsey is a former intercounty manager as well, so while it was merely in bogball as they’d say across the ditch, he is an astute tactician hence his well regarded position in the set up.

I’m a bit out of touch with the club scene but McGarry was co trainer with Shamrocks with the Fennelly’s dad at least one year. Don’t know about Lyng.

Speaking of the KK club scene, @cluaindiuic, how did Jackie Tyrrell’s brother get the Village job. Has he any background in coaching? They seem to have great time for him down there .

[quote=“Midshipman Asha, post: 830654, member: 1508”]How do you know it wasn’t Michael Dempsey providing the altered sideline and tactical acumen? - he and Martin Fogarty joined together from the U21 setup and its always Dempsey standing on the sideline with him.

I wonder will the selectors meetings go on for weeks now instead of just days now there are four of them?[/quote]

I always got the impression from interviews with players that Fogarty was the tactics man. Hopefully I am wrong and the Laois man is a tactical genius with a good plan for next year

I still maintain Cork are lacking a little bit in their conditioning. The impression I got from interviews was this was the first year they had taken strength training seriously (or more seriously). Might be another year or two before they really see the benefits.

Fitness won’t sort out Killkennys issues, just like Cian O Neill can’t make IC backs out of the few club players Kerry have playing back there.

The best teams are in peak condition, but they need age and talent if their side as well.

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 830787, member: 273”]I still maintain Cork are lacking a little bit in their conditioning. The impression I got from interviews was this was the first year they had taken strength training seriously (or more seriously). Might be another year or two before they really see the benefits.

Fitness won’t sort out Killkennys issues, just like Cian O Neill can’t make IC backs out of the few club players Kerry have playing back there.

The best teams are in peak condition, but they need age and talent if their side as well.[/quote]
Cian O’Neill would be a good option for Kildare. Cork looked very fit on Sunday and finished strongly last ten minutes. I think they did do more strength work this year too. Focus seems to be on pace and stamina though. Harnedy is new to squad - a year or two of weights and he will be better.

[quote=“corner back, post: 830774, member: 1572”]I’m a bit out of touch with the club scene but McGarry was co trainer with Shamrocks with the Fennelly’s dad at least one year. Don’t know about Lyng.

Speaking of the KK club scene, @cluaindiuic, how did Jackie Tyrrell’s brother get the Village job. Has he any background in coaching? They seem to have great time for him down there .[/quote]

When my brother told me a few months ago I honestly thought he was taking the piss. If I remember properly he has some experienced former players working with him. He does the organisational side of things. I don’t think it’s like the rule that former managers like Rigney and Critchley had. I must ask my brother for an update on it. He has since retired off the panel after an injury.

When I heard he got the job I thought that too. He has Philly Larkin as a selector and the players all wanted him seemingly so he must have something going for him.

Unconfirmed reports from my sources…

Tony Considine will be the next Limerick manager

Martin Fogarty will be the next Waterford manager

Great appointment

You don’t have to have been a top player or even a player at all sometimes to be a good manager/coach. American sport has proved that.

Alot of good players fail to seperate their own careers or the teams they were on from teams they manage. They often get very frustrated.

[quote=“Piles Hussain, post: 832057, member: 363”]Unconfirmed reports from my sources…

Tony Considine will be the next Limerick manager

Martin Fogarty will be the next Waterford manager[/quote]

Jesus Limerick.

Don’t believe the hype!