GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1026776, member: 273”]This is getting embarrassing from Totti. Proof if ever needed that he only really started watching football this year.

Brogan is sheer class. Any inside forward in the game is only as god as the ball going in to him. Brogan has regularly been outstanding even when Dublin were poor or off form. The only thing that changed recently is he got some support and Connolly woke the fuck up.[/QUOTE]

Brogan hadn’t even nailed down a starting spot with Dublin until his mid 20s. A top class inside forward will be able to make the most of the ball that’s going in there.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1026778, member: 273”]So he was out cos he was injured?

You are a pony.[/QUOTE]

Alan came off with an injury and Bernard came on for him. Your comprehension is shocking.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1026781, member: 2533”]Brogan hadn’t even nailed down a starting spot with Dublin until his mid 20s. A top class inside forward will be able to make the most of the ball that’s going in there.

[/QUOTE]
Stop, just stop.

Without even looking, Brogan has probably been in top 3 scorers in championship for last 5-6 years. And he also probably has the most MOTM awards behind Gooch in the last decade. He is always man marked, always, that’s what corner backs do. He is incredibly consistent and patient and the sign of his class is that patience. Even when it seems he is being marked out of it he can change a game in a flash. He is a 70 minute goal threat, and not all forwards are like that. He is also mentally very resilient.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1026790, member: 273”]Stop, just stop.

Without even looking, Brogan has probably been in top 3 scorers in championship for last 5-6 years. And he also probably has the most MOTM awards behind Gooch in the last decade. He is always man marked, always, that’s what corner backs do. He is incredibly consistent and patient and the sign of his class is that patience. Even when it seems he is being marked out of it he can change a game in a flash. He is a 70 minute goal threat, and not all forwards are like that. He is also mentally very resilient.[/QUOTE]

Was Brogan one of the best forwards over the past 5 years? Yes.
Was he the best forward along with Cooper over that 5 year period? Probably.

I think the standard of football has been quite poor in that time period though and there is a much higher calibre of forwards now. Right now I wouldn’t have him in the top 5 inside forwards, I probably wouldn’t have him in the top 10 and it’s primarily for what I’ve said. Right now Dublin suit him, he doesn’t have to work hard to win his ball, chances are presented to him by Dublins sheer dominance of teams.

Your conveyance on the job or corner backs is retarded, what do corner backs do when a man comes steaming through the middle unmarked? Stick with their man? Take the unmarked player coming through? Split them? I said and I was explicit in saying this, that if a good marker is put on Brogan and they can focus on this job without having to put out fires elsewhere then you can keep Brogan very quiet - man on man. I think he’s easy sniff out of games in this regard, I don’t think he’s great at winning the 50-50 balls going into him.

Your comment about forwards only being as good as the ball going in to them is stupid, you don’t set much high standards of your forwards if that’s your outlook. What separates the great forwards from the good ones is what they make of the ball going in, one of the first things we were taught in underage football was to play the ball into the space for the forwards to win. This was something Armagh did to great effect under Kernan where they had probably the best ball winning full forward line I’ve see in McDonnell, Clarke and Marsden. They were great players because you knew they’d win those balls if you could get it into them. It’s not always going to be pretty passes landed clean on your chest.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1026806, member: 2533”]Was Brogan one of the best forwards over the past 5 years? Yes.
Was he the best forward along with Cooper over that 5 year period? Probably.

I think the standard of football has been quite poor in that time period though and there is a much higher calibre of forwards now. Right now I wouldn’t have him in the top 5 inside forwards, I probably wouldn’t have him in the top 10 and it’s primarily for what I’ve said. Right now Dublin suit him, he doesn’t have to work hard to win his ball, chances are presented to him by Dublins sheer dominance of teams.

Your conveyance on the job or corner backs is retarded, what do corner backs do when a man comes steaming through the middle unmarked? Stick with their man? Take the unmarked player coming through? Split them? I said and I was explicit in saying this, that if a good marker is put on Brogan and they can focus on this job without having to put out fires elsewhere then you can keep Brogan very quiet - man on man. I think he’s easy sniff out of games in this regard, I don’t think he’s great at winning the 50-50 balls going into him.

Your comment about forwards only being as good as the ball going in to them is stupid, you don’t set much high standards of your forwards if that’s your outlook. What separates the great forwards from the good ones is what they make of the ball going in, one of the first things we were taught in underage football was to play the ball into the space for the forwards to win. This was something Armagh did to great effect under Kernan where they had probably the best ball winning full forward line I’ve see in McDonnell, Clarke and Marsden. They were great players because you knew they’d win those balls if you could get it into them. It’s not always going to be pretty passes landed clean on your chest.[/QUOTE]
Stone cold clueless.

The obligatory Ulster was better when football started in 2002 reference. I’m just waiting for Jamie Clarke gushing now.

Football is the same as it always was, evolving. As usual there 3-4 contenders and everyone else are wannabes. End of story.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1026813, member: 273”]Stone cold clueless.

The obligatory Ulster was better when football started in 2002 reference. I’m just waiting for Jamie Clarke gushing now.

Football is the same as it always was, evolving. As usual there 3-4 contenders and everyone else are wannabes. End of story.[/QUOTE]

That’s some cliched nonsense, even for you.

:rolleyes:

2007 was his first year as a regular starter. Did his hamstring against Westmeath in 2008 and didn’t get back in as a starter after that although I think he may have replaced his brother early on against Tyrone.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1026790, member: 273”]Stop, just stop.

Without even looking, Brogan has probably been in top 3 scorers in championship for last 5-6 years. And he also probably has the most MOTM awards behind Gooch in the last decade. He is always man marked, always, that’s what corner backs do. He is incredibly consistent and patient and the sign of his class is that patience. Even when it seems he is being marked out of it he can change a game in a flash. He is a 70 minute goal threat, and not all forwards are like that. He is also mentally very resilient.[/QUOTE]
One of Brogan’s best matches was the semi-final against Donegal in 2011 even though he didn’t score from play. Kept up the fight all along, played for the team rather than himself and never let his head drop.

no offense pal but its wexford FFS…i doubt he´s going full tilt…

Totti do you think Gooch is a better ball winner than Brogan? Your criticism of Brogan seems to wholly rely on Brogan’s ability to win 50 50 balls. Forward play is much more than that.

In fairness it took me a couple of years to realise that as well, I was at least 10 before I started getting it. He’ll get it eventually, he seems determined to learn more about the game.

Yes, I think Cooper is a better ball winner than Brogan, I think his movement is much better for a start and he seems to be quicker and he’s usually able to create space for himself.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1026763, member: 183”]How has he got on in the All-Ireland finals. semi-finals and quarter-finals he’s played in over the years?

[/QUOTE]

Only Colm Cooper ranks ahead of Bernard Brogan as the best inside forward in the game over the last decade. Anyone who suggest otherwise is either an attention seeker or knows nothing about the sport. In answer to your question, here’s a breakdown of Bernard’s performance at the business end of the season since establishing himself as a starter in 2007.

Quarter Final -v Derry 0-3 (3 from play)
Semi Final - Kerry 0-1 (1 from play)

Quarter Final -v Tyrone 0-3 (3 from play)

Quarter Final -v Kerry 0-3 (2 frees, 1 from play)

Quarter Final - v Tyrone 0-9 (5 fress, 4 from play)
Semi FInal - v Cork 1-7 (1 free, 1-6 from play)

Quarter Final -v Tyrone 0-5 (1 free, 4 from play)
Semi Final -v Donegal 0-4 (4 frees, scoreless from play)
Final -v Kerry 0-6 (4 frees, 2 from play)

Quarter Final -v Laois 0-4 (3 frees, 1 from play)
Semi Final -v Mayo 0-6 (6 frees)

Quarter Final -v Cork 0-1 (1 free)
Semi Final -v Kerry 0-6 (2 frees, 4 from play)
Final -v Mayo 2-3 (0-2 frees, 2-1 from play)

Quarter Final -v Monaghan 1-7 (0-6 frees, 1-1 from play)
Semi Final - v Donegal 0-3 (1 free, 2 from play)

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 1027130, member: 377”]Only Colm Cooper ranks ahead of Bernard Brogan as the best inside forward in the game over the last decade. Anyone who suggest otherwise is either an attention seeker or knows nothing about the sport. In answer to your question, here’s a breakdown of Bernard’s performance at the business end of the season since establishing himself as a starter in 2007.

Quarter Final -v Derry 0-3 (3 from play)
Semi Final - Kerry 0-1 (1 from play)

Quarter Final -v Tyrone 0-3 (3 from play)

Quarter Final -v Kerry 0-3 (2 frees, 1 from play)

Quarter Final - v Tyrone 0-9 (5 fress, 4 from play)
Semi FInal - v Cork 1-7 (1 free, 1-6 from play)

Quarter Final -v Tyrone 0-5 (1 free, 4 from play)
Semi Final -v Donegal 0-4 (4 frees, scoreless from play)
Final -v Kerry 0-6 (4 frees, 2 from play)

Quarter Final -v Laois 0-4 (3 frees, 1 from play)
Semi Final -v Mayo 0-6 (6 frees)

Quarter Final -v Cork 0-1 (1 free)
Semi Final -v Kerry 0-6 (2 frees, 4 from play)
Final -v Mayo 2-3 (0-2 frees, 2-1 from play)

Quarter Final -v Monaghan 1-7 (0-6 frees, 1-1 from play)
Semi Final - v Donegal 0-3 (1 free, 2 from play)[/QUOTE]

Football was at a low standard in that time period.

I think he would have struggled to keep a place in the Tyrone and Armagh sides in that decade. His brother was/is a better player.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1027139, member: 2533”]Football was at a low standard in that time period.

I think he would have struggled to keep a place in the Tyrone and Armagh sides in that decade. His brother was/is a better player.[/QUOTE]
Hahahaha.
I knew that was coming.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1027141, member: 273”]Hahahaha.
I knew that was coming.[/QUOTE]

It’s the obvious counterpoint, I think the 09-12 period was poor for football. You had average Cork and Dublin sides winning All Irelands and an ageing Kerry team still at the top of the table - Donegal were also as convincing winners of an All Ireland in 2012 that I can remember.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1027139, member: 2533”]Football was at a low standard in that time period.

I think he would have struggled to keep a place in the Tyrone and Armagh sides in that decade. His brother was/is a better player.[/QUOTE]

Hard facts really are an inconvenience to you. They invariably blow whatever bullsh1t you are spouting out of the water. Why not go the full way and tell us that football has been at a low standard for nearly 130 years stretching back to 1887, bar the 6/7 period between 2002-08 when Tyrone and Armagh briefing clambered out of the morass of mediocrity they’ve inhabited almost continuously since the championship was first competed for in 1887.

It’s my opinion, I have also have the opinion that you are a dull bore who is incapable or arguing the points at issue and instead focuses on stats that are not pertinent.

So scoring stats from the quarter finals onward for a forward are not pertinent. Please pray tell what would be pertinent stats?

What could be more pertinent to your rubbishing of Bernard Brogan than to focus on his scoring statistics in crunch matches from the quarter final on throughout his career. That’s the most important aspect of the job for an inside forward. Your problem is that the stats expose your argument for the utter bullsh1t it is.