GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

where’s the fun in that??..lets confuse it to a level where everyone thinks they are winning…

Who?

[QUOTE=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 1027672, member: 2272”]they couldn’t all win two titles over three years :smiley:

comparing between eras is pointless but if you go down that road then if a team cannot win a few during it’s own peak then it doesn’t merit a place in any debate about teams across the eras and entry into a debate about the best team of all time[/QUOTE]

Not what I said. If you put one of the Kerry, Tyrone or Armagh sides during the previous era mentioned into the 09-11 time period, I would be certain they would pick at least two titles up.

And your second point is an irrelevance and one shrouded in inferiority.

Fallon, Donnellan and Joyce were almost as good as McDonnell, McConville and Clarke…

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1027677, member: 2533”]Not what I said. If you put one of the Kerry, Tyrone or Armagh sides during the previous era mentioned into the 09-11 time period, I would be certain they would pick at least two titles up.

And your second point is an irrelevance and one shrouded in inferiority.[/QUOTE]
:smiley:

Self Awareness Sale ====>

Kerry won the title in 09 sport.

I know that.

Tomas O’Se on Ulster football:

“Like, I played in a very good Kerry team but we’d have struggled to put together back-to-back titles if we were playing in Ulster. I have so much respect for Ulster teams because of what they have to do just to win that provincial medal. For Kerry, with respect to all the others (and Limerick, in fairness, were right up there for a couple of years), it generally comes down to beating Cork. But for Tyrone or Down to win Ulster this year, they’ll have to do the equivalent of that four times!”

The lull in standards in Dublin football was ongoing between 2002-04 as evidenced by the Leinster Chamionship losses to Laois in 2003 and Westmeath in 2004. The Leinster Championship win of 2002 was Dublin’s only Leinster title in the 9 seasons between 1996-2004. Having said that, Armagh made heavy weather of disposing of Dublin by 1 point in 2002 and by 4 points in 2003 (a game in which Stephen Cluxton was sent off) in an era in which Dublin football was at one of its lowest ever ebbs. This was a Dublin side which featured the likes of Peadar Andrews, Paul Casey, Coman Goggins,Shane Ryan, Darren Magee, Darren Homan, Senan Connell and John MacNally in its starting line up. None of those players would have come within an asses roar of featuring on the Bernard Brogan inspired Dublin sides of 2011 and 2013.

Comparing sides from different eras is an impossible exercise, but in my book Dublin 2011 & 13 were a much stronger side than Armagh 2002. If that Armagh side had such problems in beating a middling Dublin side in 2002 and 2003, its hard to make any kind of case that they could have near to the Dublin side of this decade.

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 1027698, member: 377”]The lull in standards in Dublin football was ongoing between 2002-04 as evidenced by the Leinster Chamionship losses to Laois in 2003 and Westmeath in 2004. The Leinster Championship win of 2002 was Dublin’s only Leinster title in the 9 seasons between 1996-2004. Having said that, Armagh made heavy weather of disposing of Dublin by 1 point in 2002 and by 4 points in 2003 (a game in which Stephen Cluxton was sent off) in an era in which Dublin football was at one of its lowest ever ebbs. This was a Dublin side which featured the likes of Peadar Andrews, Paul Casey, Coman Goggins,Shane Ryan, Darren Magee, Darren Homan, Senan Connell and John MacNally in its starting line up. None of those players would have come within an asses roar of featuring on the Bernard Brogan inspired Dublin sides of 2011 and 2013.

Comparing sides from different eras is an impossible exercise, but in my book Dublin 2011 & 13 were a much stronger side than Armagh 2002. If that Armagh side had such problems in beating a middling Dublin side in 2002 and 2003, its hard to make any kind of case that they could have near to the Dublin side of this decade.[/QUOTE]

Paddy McKeever was also sent off in 2003, the bottom line is in 2002 and 2003 Armagh beat Dublin on both occasions in the Dublin’s backyard. The Dublin side of 2011 weren’t anything special and I think Armagh had a much more potent attack and rigid defence and would have got the win against them. The 2013 Dublin team was a different animal however.

The games were played in neutral Croke Park not Parnell Park.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1027632, member: 2533”]Stop talking horseshit, the consenus around the ground at half time was that this was Armagh’s to lose, they dominated the first half. Kerry got a well improvised goal completely against the run of play and Armagh should have been a lot more ahead than they were at half time. Kerry got on top in the second half, Donaghy caused mayhem in the full forward line, Kernan did nothing to counter it but it was still a close game right until the end when Mallon made a stupid mistake that finished the game with 5 minutes remaining. Before that it was nip and tuck and Armagh there or thereabouts. McDonnell had a really poor day on frees as well and Armagh badly missed McConville who struggled with a back injury that year.

It’s quite obvious you weren’t at that game and it’s even more obvious you know nothing about it.[/QUOTE]
I don’t believe for a second you were there. I believe you are googling the shit out of it and getting opinions from other sources.
Cork were playing Before it. I was actually hoping Armagh would win, but it was clear pretty soon after half time it was all over. Maybe its easier see that as a neutral, but Armagh seriously ran out of steam.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1027728, member: 273”]I don’t believe for a second you were there. I believe you are googling the shit out of it and getting opinions from other sources.
Cork were playing Before it. I was actually hoping Armagh would win, but it was clear pretty soon after half time it was all over. Maybe its easier see that as a neutral, but Armagh seriously ran out of steam.[/QUOTE]

Again this is absolute horseshit and it’s clear as day you’re talking out of your arse, the game was in the melting pot until McNulty made the mistake for the O’Sullivan goal. Once again you have been exposed and the majority of people on here who can recall that game will see it as such.

They were significantly better ffs. They had the perfect mix. McDonnell and Marsden were very similar players. McConville isn’t in the same stratosphere as Fallon or Donnellan. Joyce was almost a mix of everything and outlasted them all playing at A very high level.

Galway probably would have won in 2000 as well with Fallon.

So you don’t trust your own recollection?
I trust mine. And its funny that you want us to respect your opinion but you refuse the same cordality.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1027747, member: 273”]So you don’t trust your own recollection?
I trust mine. And its funny that you want us to respect your opinion but you refuse the same cordality.[/QUOTE]

Of course I trust mine, I trust mine so much that I would imagine the vast majority of people who watched that game and can still recall it would see much the same way as I did. You’re getting exposed for the absolute bullshitter you are once again.

Has anyone agreed with the stooks view of the game?

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1027728, member: 273”]I don’t believe for a second you were there. I believe you are googling the shit out of it and getting opinions from other sources.
Cork were playing Before it. I was actually hoping Armagh would win, but it was clear pretty soon after half time it was all over. Maybe its easier see that as a neutral, but Armagh seriously ran out of steam.[/QUOTE]
No they weren’t.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1027744, member: 273”]They were significantly better ffs. They had the perfect mix. McDonnell and Marsden were very similar players. McConville isn’t in the same stratosphere as Fallon or Donnellan. Joyce was almost a mix of everything and outlasted them all playing at A very high level.

Galway probably would have won in 2000 as well with Fallon.[/QUOTE]

What an embittered fool you are.

Oh dear.