GAA Managerial Merrygoround Thread

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1027747, member: 273”]So you don’t trust your own recollection?
I trust mine. And its funny that you want us to respect your opinion but you refuse the same cordality.[/QUOTE]
You shouldn’t.

After it so.

You must have missed the first half so.

Why cos I think the double all Ireland winning forward line is better than the one dimensional singular winning team? Hardly a reflection of embitterment.

Coming from the fella who keeps moving the years of this “era” he talks about. Two weeks ago it was 2000 onwards that armagh were a force. Now football only started in 2002, conveniently enough.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1027744, member: 273”]They were significantly better ffs. They had the perfect mix. McDonnell and Marsden were very similar players. McConville isn’t in the same stratosphere as Fallon or Donnellan. Joyce was almost a mix of everything and outlasted them all playing at A very high level.

Galway probably would have won in 2000 as well with Fallon.[/QUOTE]
Joyce and Donnellan did little at inter-county level after 2001. Joyce had a good year in 2008 but that was about it. They were top players for a relatively short period of time. I’d rate Meehan higher than either of them.

Ja was the best of those three and a truly gifted player. Would Galway have won had he not done his cruciate in 2000? Perhaps. He was never the same player afterwards though, sadly.

McDonnell and McConville produced the goods for longer than either Joyce or Donnellan. Clarke from 2005 to 2008 was up there with Donaghy as the best full forward in the game before injury destroyed him.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1027775, member: 273”]Why cos I think the double all Ireland winning forward line is better than the one dimensional singular winning team? Hardly a reflection of embitterment.

Coming from the fella who keeps moving the years of this “era” he talks about. Two weeks ago it was 2000 onwards that armagh were a force. Now football only started in 2002, conveniently enough.[/QUOTE]

Again, I didn’t say that, what I said was Armagh were knocking about at the top from 2000 to 2006. I’ve said that in the mid 00s we had 3 teams of real quality going for All Irelands, when that came to an end a few ordinary enough sides in comparison got their All Irelands. There are big question marks over the quality of Cork’s All Ireland winning team given their continuous failures against Kerry and their soft All Ireland in 2010, you get awfully defensive when this gets highlighted.

Maybe you shouldn’t jump in fast to expose yourself as being clueless of that day. You clown.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1027779, member: 183”]Joyce and Donnellan did little at inter-county level after 2001. Joyce had a good year in 2008 but that was about it. They were top players for a relatively short period of time. I’d rate Meehan higher than either of them.

Ja was the best of those three and a truly gifted player. Would Galway have won had he not done his cruciate in 2000? Perhaps. He was never the same player afterwards though, sadly.

McDonnell and McConville produced the goods for longer than either Joyce or Donnellan. Clarke from 2005 to 2008 was up there with Donaghy as the best full forward in the game before injury destroyed him.[/QUOTE]
What a load of waffle just to argue with me.Joyce was sheer class for 10-12 years, carrying Galway many a day.

Clarke is not part of this conversation.

I’m not the one who is recalling the way a match played out which was a lot different to reality. You have attempted to be dismissive of Armagh on the basis of one game and you picked the wrong game to do so. You continually expose yourself as a buffoon due to your poor temperament and low intelligence.

Kerry were better than Cork,but were pushed to beat them in 08 & 09. Cork destroyed Tyrone imn 09 when most expected them to finally get a repeat

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1027783, member: 273”]What a load of waffle just to argue with me.Joyce was sheer class for 10-12 years, carrying Galway many a day.

Clarke is not part of this conversation.[/QUOTE]
Clarke is part of this conversation. I specifically mentioned him above. If you want to throw in Marsden who was an outstanding forward in his own right that’s your prerogative.

Tell us all about Joyce’s great performances post-2001, because I sure can’t think of many.

Blaa blaa blaa.that’s not what I said. I was basing it on a few years actually. They were gone by 06, they didn’t have the legs. Hence a 2nd half collapse.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1027787, member: 183”]
Tell us all about Joyce’s great performances post-2001, because I sure can’t think of many.[/QUOTE]

Ah come now Sid…

The team went to complete shit but Joyce was a lone furrow who rescued game upon game up until the day he retired.

No they didn’t, they shat their trousers every time they went up against Kerry of real magnitude. The 2008 semi was a game Kerry should have won by 9 or 10 points and got complacement and coughed up a big lead, they never looked like losing the replay.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1027787, member: 183”]Clarke is part of this conversation. I specifically mentioned him above. If you want to throw in Marsden who was an outstanding forward in his own right that’s your prerogative.

Tell us all about Joyce’s great performances post-2001, because I sure can’t think of many.[/QUOTE]
The comparison was the 3 M’s versus Joyce, Donnellan and Fallon. There is so much more creativity in the Galway trio its not even funny.

Joyce was class nearly every day he went out. Without him they’d never have got a ball in to Meehan.

They weren’t gone by 06 and they didn’t lose their legs. You have been talking bollocks all day long, you said earlier that they didn’t freshen up their defence quick enough and that it was a major issue - bollocks - McKeever, Kernan and Mallon were all regulars by 2004 in that defence - a completely ridiculous comment from you and one that shows complete ignorance. The problem with Armagh was a lack of depth in the forward department, where Kerry always had good scoring threats off the bench down the years and Tyrone were able to add the likes of Penrose, Tommy McGuigan and McCullagh along the years - Armagh generally had to rely on the same faces of McConville, Clarke and McDonnell to get the scores and they did this well for the most part. Marsden stepped away from the panel too early I believe, he had another couple of years left in him and Armagh really need the option of introducing a scorer from the bench.

What really separated Armagh from Tyrone and Kerry was strength in depth.

[QUOTE=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 1027791, member: 686”]Ah come now Sid…

The team went to complete shit but Joyce was a lone furrow who rescued game upon game up until the day he retired.[/QUOTE]
Its amazing what I can get lads to say. They will pick the absolute opposite just to argue.

Funny enough I think there is a another quote around the place from Toma’s blowing on about Joyce. An out and out star

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1027799, member: 2533”]They weren’t gone by 06 and they didn’t lose their legs. You have been talking bollocks all day long, you said earlier that they didn’t freshen up their defence quick enough and that it was a major issue - bollocks - McKeever, Kernan and Mallon were all regulars by 2004 in that defence - a completely ridiculous comment from you and one that shows complete ignorance. The problem with Armagh was a lack of depth in the forward department, where Kerry always had good scoring threats off the bench down the years and Tyrone were able to add the likes of Penrose, Tommy McGuigan and McCullagh along the years - Armagh generally had to rely on the same faces of McConville, Clarke and McDonnell to get the scores and they did this well for the most part. Marsden stepped away from the panel too early I believe, he had another couple of years left in him and Armagh really need the option of introducing a scorer from the bench.

What really separated Armagh from Tyrone and Kerry was strength in depth.[/QUOTE]
They got the bollied kicked off them, end of story.

That’s utter bollocks and far removed from what actually happened on the day. You’re not doing anything new by making yourself look like an ignorant and bitter fool with these outlandish comments.

It’s amazing what you can get Kev to say if you give him enough rope.

Kev trusts his recollection, in the same way Brian Lenihan trusted his all those years ago.