GAA Mavericks

Trademark edginess from Fran blowing me out of the water here.

:lol: :lol:

Youā€™re an entertaining poster Sid but the boring Kilkenny players thing has been done to death now. You need some new material

Brolly really loves annoying people on and off the pitch but heā€™s one of the more conservative, old school GAA men of his generation surely.

Itā€™s Richie Hogans jersey.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/webimage/1.4331041.1349341390!image/2962346114.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_595/2962346114.jpg

Until the KK players grow a little bit of personality or fuck off its not done to death IMHO. Talk about sucking the life from a once proud sport.

I thought Sidneys post was quite a nice riff on an old theme.

It takes a certain type of simpleton to laugh at the same joke over and over again

suck it up sham

:rolleyes:

ah superb :clap:

You forgot about favourite quote - 'fail to prepare , prepare to fail"
and also for favouite film - ā€œwatching Braveheart on the bus up to the gameā€.

Tony Keady - Man of the Match in AI Final.

Goes boozing with Brendan Lynskey in Phibsboro directly after the game and never turns up in Burlo to collect MOTM award.

Cyril Farrel collects on his behalf.

2013 has been a strange year for Kilkenny hurling legend Canice Picklington. marked by injury problems, a new arrival and an unusually early exit from the championship. I caught up with him in that famous Kilkenny haunt, Langtons.

Canice, itā€™s great to talk to you again, although this year hasnā€™t been as successful for Kilkenny. Youā€™ve had a few injury problems over the last year?

"Ah yeah, itā€™s been frustrating. I suppose it all started when I played for the club the week after the All-Ireland last year and I tore my cruciate. Iā€™d probably put it down to not being in top shape after the four pints I had on the Tuesday at the celebration. Then in the county semi-final I tore my other cruciate, which wasnā€™t ideal. That meant I had a tough battle to play in the final, but I was fit to start thankfully, although we lost by 10 points and I had to go off after five minutes.

Then when the League came around in February, I tore my achilles in the first match against Tipp. That meant I was only able to go in corner forward for the rest of the League. But Cody said I was fine, and if he says it thatā€™s good enough for me. "

That wasnā€™t the end of the injuries, though?

"Thatā€™s right. I broke my jaw trying to wrench a cracked metal band off the boss of one of my hurleys, and then I missed the first couple of matches of the championship as I was in getting a new hip, but Ger Hartmann said heā€™d have me right for the Tipp game and, fair play to him, he did.

Iā€™ve been getting some treatment here in Kilkenny too. The doctor inside in St. Lukeā€™s told me not to play if I wanted to walk again, but I told him he must be confusing me with somebody else, as Iā€™ve never been sent off."

That Tipp game must have been a special occasion?

ā€œDefinitely. The match against Tipp inside in the Park was unreal. Definitely the best atmosphere of any match Iā€™ve ever played in. There was no way we were going to lose that night. Weā€™ve the best supporters in Ireland and we didnā€™t want to let them down. The intensity was up there with some our A v B games in training. Savage.ā€

There must have been real optimism that you could go all the way after that night, but it wasnā€™t to be as Cork beat you in the quarter-final.

ā€œAh yeah, we felt we were very hard done by this year, like, with Henry being sent off and all. There wasnā€™t a dirty stroke in the game. It was good, manly stuff. Thereā€™s no problem with the rules, thereā€™s no problem there, but that decision was awful unfair.ā€

Did you watch the final between Cork and Clare?

ā€œI didnā€™t have the heart to be watching it, to be honest. I saw bits of it later on, but we were having a club fundraiser here that afternoon so I was busy making roast beef and cucumber sandwiches. I heard it on the radio though - I thought DJ did a terrific job. Heā€™s a very good analyser.ā€

Who do you hope wins the replay now?

ā€œAh it wouldnā€™t bother me too much now, but I suppose Iā€™d like to see Cork win. Itā€™s always nice if you lose that the teams who beats you goes on to win it, and thatā€™s what we told the Cork players after the match in Thurles. ā€œGo on and win it nowā€.ā€

Thereā€™s been quite a change in the hurling landscape this year.

ā€œAh yeah, itā€™s good to see these young teams like Clare and Dublin coming through. Itā€™s good for the game to have more strong teams. Thereā€™s good hurling people in every county. The more good teams, the merrier, I supposeā€.

Clare look to be the coming team. Are you looking forward to taking them on next year?

ā€œYes, I suppose so. Theyā€™ve some really good young hurlers and we know all about them from the under-21 final last year when my cousin Lester was marking Tots Oā€™Connell. I was discussing the merits of the under-21 championships with Brian Carthy there last week and we both agreed that itā€™s great for bringing through the youth. 'Tis nice to see Antrim involved this year, as thereā€™s good hurlers in every county.ā€

There was a bit of controversy over the venue for that match? What do you think yourself?

ā€œAh, I can see Antrimā€™s point, but I think Thurles is the right venue, as itā€™s the home of hurling. I know there was talk of playing it up North in somewhere like Navan or Cavan, but theyā€™re football rather than hurling pitches and theyā€™re set up for football, so Thurles is definitely the best place for it.ā€

It must have been a bit of a shock to the system to go out of the championship at the quarter-final stage, given that youā€™re so used to being involved in All-Ireland finals?

"Ah, yeah, itā€™s been kind of strange, alright, going out so early, but it means Iā€™ve had time to catch up on hobbies and stuff. "

What kind of hobbies have you had time to catch up on?

ā€œJust hurling away with the club, like.ā€

It surely gave you time to catch up on your social life, given that youā€™re away training so much during the year?

ā€œI suppose Iā€™ve been able to have the odd pint now that weā€™re out of the championship, but the lads there in the pub would keep you in check. Some of the lads whoā€™d drive down from Graiguehenry and Knockcharles, theyā€™d be your worst critics, actually. If they saw you on your third pint they wouldnā€™t be shy in letting you know what they thought of you. But theyā€™re our greatest supporters as well, and they know their hurling better than anybody.ā€

I hear you got to see ā€œthe Bossā€ after that defeat to Cork?

ā€œCody? No, Iā€™ve seen enough of him already!ā€

No, Bruce Springsteen.

ā€œOh right, sorry. Yeah, a few of us headed down to the Park that night, and it was very enjoyable. 'Twas nice to be able to relax for once, although we were still feeling the pain of the defeat badly. Iā€™d be more of a Coldplay fan, but an event like that is great for the area.ā€

A career in media may be on the cards, Iā€™m hearing?

"Ah, I donā€™t know about that, now. John Knox has sounded me out about doing a column in the Kilkenny People, and I said Iā€™d think about it, as itā€™s always nice to help out.

Barrie Henriques here on the local radio station KCLR has asked me if Iā€™d consider doing a bit of co-commentary for some of the club championship matches when weā€™re not playing, and I said Iā€™d think about it as itā€™s always nice to help out. I heard DJ commentating with Marty there during the match on Sunday and he was very good. If I could be half as good as that Iā€™d be happy."

Youā€™re clearly hugely devoted to your club and Iā€™m told youā€™ve been putting something back in lately?

ā€œYeah, Iā€™d be a big club man. Malcolm whoā€™s the chairman here asked me if Iā€™d be interested in refereeing a few camogie matches recently, which I was happy to do, as thereā€™s a great refereeing tradition in the family here as my great grandfather the Reverend Timmy Picklington refereed the 1901 All-Ireland final. Itā€™s strange because I didnā€™t think Iā€™d enjoy it but it was actually very enjoyable - the standard was very good, and itā€™s always nice to help out.ā€

Thereā€™s been a new arrival in the Picklington household since we last spoke?

ā€œThatā€™s right. My wife Rachel had a son, George, there in May. We named him George after Rachelā€™s father who died there three years ago. Rachel was delighted when William and Kate named their son George as well. as sheā€™s a big fan of Kate. I met the Queen two years ago and she was a very nice woman. Anyway, Georgeā€™s arrival means Harry, Chloe and Canice Junior have somebody else to play with out on my father TJā€™s farm, which is great, especially during the summer when they get to run around in the wheat fields and see how the combine harvesters work.ā€

Thatā€™s not the only change in your life since we last spoke. I hear?

ā€œThatā€™s right. Iā€™ve got a new job now with Glanbia as a rep and they gave me a new Toyota Yaris, which is a lovely car, the same as the previous one I drove. That was good because I like to have the one thing and stick to it.ā€

Youā€™ve an eagerly anticpated book coming out for Christmas. ā€œCanice Picklington - Hurling Man.ā€ That will be in a lot of hurling fansā€™ stockings come Christmas morning, I imagine?

"Thatā€™s right, myself and Brian Carthy are working on my autobiography at the moment. "

Will you be letting us into the secrets of what makes a hurling legend like yourself?

"Ah, thereā€™s not much to tell, I suppose, but there should be some good stories in there. "

Will you be laying bare what happens in the Kilkenny dressing room?

"Ah not really, like. But as I said, thereā€™s some good stories there - most of them are about Tommy Walsh doing impressions. Heā€™s some character. He can do loads of them - you should have seen the time he did Cody on the team holiday to Mauritius. The look on Codyā€™s face was priceless. Iā€™ll never forget it. "

Was it always an ambition of yours to tell your life story?

ā€œNo, not really, but Brian Carthy said I had an interesting story to tell, and thatā€™s nice to hear. Iā€™d be a big fan of his radio work, heā€™s a great journalist.ā€

Do you enjoy reading about sport?

ā€œYeah, Iā€™d be a big reader about sport. I really like Rachel Wyseā€™s columns in the Irish Independent. She really knows her stuff, especially about hurling, and itā€™s great to see someone like her be so successful in England. Itā€™s good for the country, like. And of course Iā€™d have to say I enjoyed Codyā€™s book, otherwise heā€™d kill me.ā€

Did you fear Brian Cody might call it a day, especially given his recent health scare?

ā€œNo, never. I think Cody will go on forever, and we hope he does, and I know all hurling people will hope he does. Heā€™s great for the game, such a character.ā€

Did you consider that now might be the time to call it a day yourself?

"No, not really. Sure what else would I be doing with myself. Lookit, youā€™re only as good as your last game, and that tenth All-Ireland medal is what keeps driving me on.

Sure Iā€™ll keep going as long as the body will take it, and please God, it seems to be holding up well at the moment."

Thanks for your time, as always, Canice.

ā€œCanice Picklington - Hurling Manā€ by Canice Picklington and Brian Carthy, foreword by PM Oā€™Sullivan, will be available in all good bookshops soon, priced at ā‚¬30.99

Picklington reveals ā€œproperty hellā€ in new book

Kilkenny hurling legend Canice Picklington has revealed how his ā€œproperty hellā€ resulted in ā€œhumiliationā€ and fear that he ā€œwould not be able to put bread on the tableā€ for his wife and children.

The frank account of how his exclusive Thomastown apartment development went disastrously wrong is contained in his new autobiography ā€œCanice Picklington ā€“ Hurling Manā€, ghost written by respected RTE Gaelic Games commentator Brian Carthy, and which goes on sale next week.

Picklington also details how his financial troubles spurred him on to even greater success on the pitch.

But itā€™s the tale of his failed property deal which will no doubt attract most interest.

Marketed as ā€œRanelagh-sur-Noreā€, the development of 10 luxury riverside apartments launched in September 2006, right at the peak of the property bubble.

Picklington was the public face of the scheme, built in partnership with his cousin Derek Picklington and infamous beef baron turned property developer PJ ā€œHornsā€ Prendergast, but it was the latter two who pulled the strings behind the scenes.

Derek Picklington had had success in property development in mid-Leinster the early 2000s. A former Kilkenny intermediate hurling championship winner with St. Davidā€™s, Welshtown, he first entered into business with former team mate Podge Parkinson and later with the much more experienced PJ Prendergast. ā€œDerek was a hard man both on and off the pitchā€, says Canice.

Prendergast, who made his name as a controversial ā€œbeef baronā€ in the late 1980s and early 1990s, had diversified successfully into property, developing low-specification apartments in Dublin. Basing himself out of the ā‚¬4.7m trophy home on Dublinā€™s ultra-prestigious Shrewsbury Road, which he bought in 2003, he was a fanatical supporter of the Kilkenny hurlers. His face was ubiquitous at county fundraisers and post All-Ireland banquets.

ā€œIt wasnā€™t something I had any interest in up to then, Iā€™d have to say, as I was happy with my lot hurling with the club and county and working as an insurance salesman inside in the cityā€, says Picklington. ā€œBut in 2005 Derek and PJ Prendergast approached me. They were pretty bullish about it. ā€œThis is a no-lose betā€, they said. I was to be the frontman, while they would get the thing built.ā€

ā€œMy mother didnā€™t trust Derek from the word go and warned me against getting involved. But after a lot of persuasion. I decided to go for it, against my better judgement.ā€

Prenlington Developments aimed the scheme at the high end of the market, with prices set at ā‚¬850,000 for a two bed apartment in the scheme. ā€œIt was ambitious, but Derek and PJ said that that price would prove to be a bargain three or four years down the line, and there would be queues of people waiting to buy them.ā€

The development was launched at a gala reception at the K Club on the weekend of the 2006 Ryder Cup.

ā€œOn the face of it everything seemed great. PJ and Derek organised a marquee and the drinks flowed. The McCarthy Cup was placed at the head of the top table. Brian Cowen was there and spoke about how I was a credit to the country both on the hurling pitch and in business. He had a few drinks on him and sang ā€œThe Offaly Roverā€ and then himself and PJ got up on the table with the McCarthy Cup to sing The Rose of Mooncoin.ā€ Iā€™d no real interest in the golf, but it was nice to be there, as the Ryder Cup being played in Ireland was good for the country, I suppose. But that kind of thing wasnā€™t really for me. There were people there who Iā€™d never seen in my life wanting to get their photographs taken with me. I was happy to oblige, of course, but after my third pint I made my excuses and left.ā€

An extensive advertising campaign for the scheme was launched in the national media. Picklingtonā€™s face was used in full page advertisements in the Irish Times property supplement under the slogan ā€œAn opportunity too good to ig-Noreā€.

Picklingtonā€™s naturally shy demeanour meant he felt ill at ease with such a role. ā€œIt just wasnā€™t me. I mean, there were radio ads as well. I couldnā€™t turn on the radio without hearing my own voice, so I kept it off and just listened to a CD instead. Coldplayā€™s ā€œParachutesā€ was the only thing I listened to for about three months. The song kept telling me it was all yellow, but as the apartments failed to sell, gradually the only thing I could see was red. ā€œ

The 10 luxury riverside apartments did not sell as expected, with only two selling within the first six months. Then the collapse in property values was to result in a financial nightmare for Picklington.

A week before Christmas in 2006, Picklington demanded showdown talks with his cousin Derek and PJ Prendergast. ā€œThey reassured me that everything was fine and that any talk of a property crash was nonsense. They said the worst that could possibly happen was that there would be a soft landing.ā€

Things reached the point of no return in mid-2007 when Canice told Derek and PJ Prendergast to ā€œfuck offā€. ā€œIt was the night before the Leinster final. They were strong words, and it was out of character for me, but they had to be said. I was very angry, and it showed the next day.ā€ Picklington was to put in one of his greatest ever performances in that Leinster final, scoring 2-11. But there was to be no going back after that and the relationship between him and Derek Picklington and PJ Prendergast broke down irretrievably.

Things hit rock bottom for Canice Picklington in late 2007 when he realised that all personal guarantees for the money borrowed to build the apartments had been registered under his name. ā€œI was naĆÆve, no doubt about it. I trusted Derek completely, but he took advantage of my naivety. I gave him access to my personal bank account. I trusted him to take care of the financial side of things, but he let me down.ā€ The pair have not maintained contact since and the split is said to have bitterly divided the extended Picklington family.

In 2008 Derek Picklington fled to the UK, where he declared bankruptcy and now runs a financial advisory service. Prendergast continues to live in his Shrewsbury Road home.

ā€œDerek just upped and left without telling anybody, and PJ laughed at me saying ā€you got yourself into this mess, you get yourself out of itā€. Things got pretty nasty, youā€™d have to say."

Playing hurling helped to take Caniceā€™s mind off things.

ā€œHurling became my refuge. I put everything into training and I was flying. On that pitch inside in Nowlan Park, I became an animal. But when I went home, I had trouble sleeping."

"I was literally worried about how Iā€™d put bread on the table for my daughter Chloe and my wife Rachel. Only for the great feed Langtonā€™s gave us after training, I would have gone home hungry. It got to the point where I was bringing home food from Langtonā€™s in my gear bag.ā€

The real scale of Picklingtonā€™s difficulties became apparent at the Commerical Court in November 2008 when Mr Justice Michael Keating granted a judgement order against him for the repayment of ā‚¬5.7m to ACC Bank. ā€œThe bank that likes to say yes said a firm ā€œnoā€ to me when I asked for a few months grace. I was in turmoil. The media had llatched onto things. The ā€œCanice in a Pickleā€ headline in the Irish Daily Star was the worst moment. I felt humiliated.ā€

Picklington was also forced to sell his collection of All-Ireland and Kilkenny county championship medals, as well the crystal vases and gold watches given to him for his Man of the Match performances in the 2000, 2003 and 2006 All-Ireland finals. ā€œI never wore the watch so it was an easy decision. And the medals, well I didnā€™t really mind either, you canā€™t wear them around your neck. I was sorry to part with the vases though. They were very nice.ā€

But a chat with Mickey Harte at the 2008 All-Star awards ceremony, where Picklington picked up his third Hurler of the Year award, helped put things in perspective. ā€œHe was great. He told me that things could be a lot worse, and that Iā€™d always have the respect of true Gaels for the way Iā€™d represented my club and county, that Iā€™d provided employment in the area, and that there was a media witch-hunt against me. That meant a lot to me.ā€

Picklington declared bankruptcy in August 2009, just weeks before he lined out with Kilkenny in the All-Ireland final against Tipperary. He claims he used his financial difficulty as a motivating factor. ā€œI used it as a motivating factorā€, he says.

ā€œThat 2009 final was a great win, youā€™d have to say, and the reaction from the Kilkenny supporters was incredible. Theyā€™re the best and most passionate supporters in Ireland, and Iā€™ll never forget how they sang my name that day. That was the start of the road to recovery for me."

Picklington says the support from the local community when his financial difficulties became known helped him enormously. ā€œThey really rallied around me. They helped me to see the light at the end of the tunnel.ā€

ā€œIā€™m coping well now. Itā€™s been a tough road the last few years but Iā€™m happy with where I am right now. Life is about the simple things for me. It always has been. Hurling with the club and county. Helping out with the camogie. The family. An occasional day helping out on my father TJā€™s farm. Having a skinny latte inside in Ethos in Thomastown. An occasional dinner with Rachel inside in Hudsonā€™s. Browsing the antique shops on Market Street. A conversation with MJ inside in Fitzwilliamā€™s when Iā€™m buying a newspaper. That kind of thing.ā€

He can even look those riverside apartments in the eye when heā€™s having his latte. ā€œIā€™ve no regrets. And theyā€™re fairly decent apartments, actually.ā€

Heā€™s been there and done that. And all may not yet be done. ā€œIā€™d love to get that tenth All-Ireland. It drives me on. If I could get that tenth one Iā€™d be enclosed in an envelope of satisfaction, as we say down here. But then thereā€™s the club as well, and thatā€™s probably even more important. We went out of the championship early this year, which was disappointing. But weā€™ll be back training next week. I canā€™t wait.ā€

Happy with what he has, but never one to rest on his laurels, Canice Picklington has entered his season of mellow fruitfulness.

The apartments may not have sold well, but the book will surely be in the stocking of every hurling fan, and every hurling man, this Christmas.

ā€œCanice Picklington - Hurling Manā€ by Canice Picklington and Brian Carthy, foreword by PM Oā€™Sullivan, will be available in all good bookshops from next Monday, priced at ā‚¬30.99

Picklington to make surprise return to Fitzgibbon hurling

Liam Wordsworth, South Kilkenny Standard (incorporating the Mullinavat Bugle), March 21st, 2014

Legendary Kilkenny star Canice Picklington is set to make a surprise return to Fitzgibbon Cup hurling next year, the South Kilkenny Standard has learned.

Picklington has enrolled as a mature student on a full-time evening diploma course in Agricultural Financial Management at Waterford Institute of Technology, and is set to be the latest long-established inter-county star to make a return to inter-varsities action, after Graham Geraghty (Social and Community Development) with IT Blanchardstown and Paul Galvin (Fashion Buying) with DIT in the Sigerson Cup this year.

It will mark a return to Fitzgibbon Cup competition for the St. Davidā€™s, Welshtown clubman after a gap of over 13 years, and will come some 16 years after he made his debut in the competition.

Picklington previously played in the Fitzgibbon Cup for UCD between 1998 and 2001, and was a key player in one of the most star-studded teamā€™s in the competitonā€™s history, winning one final in 2001 and losing another in 2000.

The man known to Kilkenny supporters as ā€œSt. Caniceā€ remembers his UCD days fondly. "Yah, itā€™s a fond memory, I suppose. We had a great bunch of lads there from all over the place but the atmosphere really was one of a club team. It was tough going though. Iā€™d have lectures on Monday, then Iā€™d get a bus down to Kilkenny for county training that night, back to Dublin for a lecture or two on Tuesday, and down to Kilkenny again for club training on Tuesday. Iā€™d usually skip Wednesday morning lectures, then we might be playing a college league match that afternoon, then itā€™d be straight down again to training with Kilkenny that night, back the next morning for lectures which I usually missed, back down for club training that night and straight back again for maybe an Ag Science party, before more missed lectures again on Friday and maybe a gym session on Friday night.

ā€œI suppose it was no wonder I failed and had to repeat first year twice before eventually I threw in the towel when we finally won the Fitzgibbon in 2001.ā€

The then commerce student was inconsolable when the Belfield men lost out to Henry Shefflinā€™s WIT team in the 2000 final. Picklington and his long-time Kilkenny team-mate and friend went head to head in a shoot-out that seasoned experts on the inter-varsities hurling scene have dubbed ā€œthe Fitzgibbon Cup match of the centuryā€.

ā€œYeah, well I suppose the century was only two months old at that point so there wouldnā€™t have been too many other contendersā€, quips Picklington, modestly.

ā€œIt was absolutely devastating to lose, but yeah, it was great to have been involved in a match like that at such an early stage in my career, and it helped me to deal with pressure, as we would have had the expectations of the whole college on us, even though I suppose hurling was fairly weak in Dublin at that time. The morale in the college was low after the Challenging Times team had gone out in the first round to Sligo IT, and hopefully we helped to lift everybodyā€™s spirits.ā€

Picklington considers the 2001 Fitzgibbon final win to be one the finest moments of his career. ā€œYeah, it was great, I suppose. We played UCC and of course they were the team that everybody wants to beat, especially as they called themselves ā€œCollegeā€, which we thought was a bit arrogant. There was a good bit of needle to the game and Donal Og Cusack would have been in goal for them. It was around the time of the foot and mouth disease and Cusack never kept his mouth shut the whole time. One of the lads made a joke at half-time that Cusack thought it was the foot in mouth final, which we all thought was very funny, and it helped relax us at half-time. That was the type of camaraderie in that team.ā€

Picklington is philosophical about his planned return to the competition. ā€œI suppose I wonā€™t really have too much time to think about it, as obviously Iā€™ve got the league to finish with Kilkenny and then of course thereā€™s the championship, which we hope to do well in, and then the club championship, which is the most important thing of all, I suppose. But yeah, itā€™ll be great to get back playing Fitzgibbon hurling, as itā€™s the highest standard there is, apart from senior inter-county.ā€

ā€œItā€™ll be a tough task to get into the WIT team, first of all. Jake Dillon might not be a household name throughout the country but heā€™s one of the best forwards around. Iā€™ll have a tough job to get into the team at all with lads like him around. But yeah, I suppose you could say Iā€™m looking forward to living the student life again (laughs), if I can fit in the time for lectures, which will be a tough job.ā€

Canice Picklington was speaking in his role as a brand ambassador for Avonmoreā€™s range of ā€œFreshly Gratedā€ cheese products - available in shops nationwide

[QUOTE=ā€œSidney, post: 716484, member: 183ā€]1. Joe Brolly.

A point from a handpass would have been a certainty, but Brolly sidestepped the goalkeeper and placed a perfect shot past a diving Donegal defender and into the top left corner of the net.[/QUOTE]

You werenā€™t allowed score a point with a handpass in 1998.

Fist pass, whatever.

Or a fist-pass. The score with the hand (unless the ball was in open flight) wasnā€™t re-introduced until 2004

Picklington angry at GAAā€™s ā€œsell-outā€ to Sky

Sean Betjeman, South Kilkenny Standard, April 2nd, 2014

Nine-times All-Ireland senior hurling medallist Canice Picklington has become the first high-profile player to come out against the GAAā€™s new TV deal with Sky Sports.

The legendary Kilkenny hurling star launched a broadside against the new pay TV deal on his Twitter acount, calling it a ā€œsell-outā€, and ā€œa disgraceā€.

When contacted by the Standard this morning, Picklington explained his views.

ā€œI thought it was an April Foolā€™s joke at first. But then my wife told me that April Fool is dead and gone after midday, and I realised that it was actually trueā€, said the veteran forward.

ā€œIt goes against the whole ethos - which is also my favourite coffee shop in Thomastown, by the way, of the association. Itā€™s the thin end of the wedge, as they say. They might have 20 games now but in a few years theyā€™ll have the lot, the All-Ireland finals and all. Itā€™s all about money. I donā€™t know why they donā€™t come out and say it. Itā€™s dishonest.ā€

ā€œIā€™ve had a lot of reaction to my comments. Some people on Twitter have accused me of being a backwoodsman, but thatā€™s totally wrong. Iā€™m as open minded as anybody. I mean I watched the Irish rugby team playing France a few weeks back and I was as happy as anybody to see them win. I donā€™t know that much about rugby but it was it was good for the country. I suppose. But, look it, the vast majority of the comments Iā€™ve received have been positive, telling me that the association needs more people like myself to speak out against this.ā€

Picklington is pessimistic about the future now that the deal has been signed.

ā€œThis is a step too far. They went behind our back. Itā€™s a sell-out of our traditional values, I suppose. The recession has hit people hard. The Sky costs ā‚¬700 a year. Itā€™s pay-per-view. Thatā€™s money that myself and most other people donā€™t have. Take my neighbour Cecil here. Heā€™s an elderly man in his 70s and lives alone. Heā€™s too old to go to matches these days. He doesnā€™t have the Sky. He doesnā€™t have a television. How is he expected to watch his county playing?ā€

ā€œThis hits very close to home as our match against Offaly inside in the Park is the first match on the Sky. I wonā€™t be giving them any interviews, and I know most of the lads feel the same way, although I suPpose I might talk to Rachel Wyse, as Iā€™ve a lot of respect for her - she knows her hurling.ā€

Picklington also doubts that the increased coverage of Gaelic Games abroad under the terms of the deal will be of benefit to the association.

ā€œI want our games for our own children and couldnā€™t care less if the Arabs or black lads are running around the desert and jungle beating the camels or zebras with hurls whilst wearing Leitrim jerseys. Charity should begin at home. We need to look after our own first.ā€

ā€œBut I suppose the main thing Iā€™m thinking of is the children who are out on the roads and in the fields every night with hurls who wonā€™t be able to see the match, now. Thatā€™s very unfortunate. Iā€™ve often debated the merits of the under-21 championships with Brian Carthy and we always agree that itā€™s great for bringing through the youth. But if the Sky get their way, there might be no youth to bring through in the future. And where are we then?ā€

ā€œI know I might be a bit biased here as I wrote the book with him but itā€™s an insult to the likes of our great commentators like Brian Carthy. You canā€™t buy the passion that man has for our games. Iā€™d be very upset if Brian was sidelined for the likes of Geoff (sic) Stelling and Jimmy White (sic).ā€

ā€œWhat I want to know is - where is the money going? Will my club see a penny of it? I doubt it. Iā€™d usually be very defensive of the GAA but after this, people are right when they call them the Grab All Association.ā€

[QUOTE=ā€œSidney, post: 925504, member: 183ā€] Take my neighbour Cecil here. Heā€™s an elderly man in his 70s and lives alone. Heā€™s too old to go to matches these days. He doesnā€™t have the Sky. He doesnā€™t have a television. How is he expected to watch his county playing?"
[/QUOTE]

:smiley:

Good man Sid, love the bit ā€œHe doesnā€™t have a television. How is he expected to watch his county playing?ā€