Gaa split season, a total failure

The Munster Final is the biggest game in senior hurling or didn’t you get the memo. Closely followed by the Harty Cup

Ideal solution. Once a fella is 18 and one day they can play adult and play minor in that window. Under 19s at inter County and back to 21s seems right too. Minor at under 17 is too young.

1 Like

This looks to have serious potential for an optimum level of chaos in terms of fixture scheduling that we all love and need but if the split season is persisted with in its current guise, it’s pretty unworkable and doomed to failure after a year or so.

Is U19 at Intercounty level going to be the last underage grade?

Under 19 makes no sense. Most lads do leaving cert at 19.

What was it again that was so bad and unworkable about the Minor grade at U18 which pertained for close to 90 years or the U21 grade for over 50 years? Or was it just yet another one of these makey uppy, lets just change for the sake of it something that’s working just grand.

1 Like

U19 :smiley:

It was a shambles. Just because it went on for a long time doesn’t mean it was the right way to run it.

1 Like

Minor at U17 and this U20 grade is a shambles.

4 Likes

The Under 20 hurling championship was some total non-event this year played out on graveyard slots on Monday nights in April. I had to turn off the Final it was so bad. I think it was a curtain raiser to a dead rubber between Tipp and Cork in the round robin :grinning:

I can’t even remember if a football equivalent took place.

The Under 17’s are basically TY’s.

1 Like

I was under 17 doing my Leaving Cert, and there were plenty others in my year the same

Times have changed.

1 Like

We were the greatest generation. Lads repeated the Leaving Cert so they could excel at Minor Football. It was how it was meant to be.

1 Like

That’s nearly all gone now, everyone does TY or starts school later

1 Like

The optimum age to be to be sitting the leaving cert is to be a month shy of your 19th birthday.

Correct I was the same but most kids don’t start till they’re 5 now and do TY which means they’re 19 when they finish school now.

Both statements can be true.

Limerick and Ncw footballer Cian Sheehan delighted with the split season in an interview I read the other day.

cc @peddlerscross

1 Like

And he correctly recognises that Semple Stadium is a crumbling kip

Mr Floyd sounds like a very sensitive soul.