Galway - dual travails part 2

Could do this :+1:t2:

1 Like

The under-performing Dessie Conneely has fallen well down the pecking order. Two more downward steps and for him the cause is lost.

1 Like

Are Maigh Cullin that good that they justify 8 players on the match day squad? I thought they looked an ordinary enough outfit when up against Glen.

That’s a hard no from me anyways. A lot of talented club players but Sean Kelly is the only lad that warrants a place in the first 15. There’s two spots wide open for the taking at corner and wing back though but I thought Eoghan Kelly and Mulcahy were a big step off the level against Mayo.

2 Likes

Peter Cooke is frustrating. He’s big and fit and ripped and should be a lot more effective than he currently has been.

2 Likes

Only his first game back at this level last week. Has the ability to be pushing for all stars.

1 Like

Iv had another look and 14 of the match day 26 are from the Salthill-Ougtherard yuppie belt. I’d have grave concerns about ye when ye meet some robust Ulster opposition.

There’s plenty of hardy bastards round salthill. Always has been. Fair scatter of wild men. Unfortunately most don’t play gaa

1 Like

In fairness the third Kelly brother and Mulcahy did quite well against Mayo I thought. Especially as they only joined the Galway squad a week or two beforehand. And Davoren had been showing well in recent months. Been playing very well for NUIG as well. He’s exceptionally good under a high ball. How many of them make the team remains to be seen but there are certainly two vacancies in defence with Silke and Molloy gone and someone has to fill those spots.

1 Like

A nice lad but folks would have you think that a few nice points when the game was gone from us against Mayo in the qualifier down Limerick a few years back makes him one of the top players in the country. We’ve too many passengers as it is when Tierney and Paul Kelly are starting.

The fact 8 of them made the panel and the keeper didn’t makes me wonder how atrocious he must be.

Maigh Cuillen will learn a lot from their day out in Croke Park.

With the way the draw works out next year, if they win Galway they’ll probably make an All Ireland Final.

Having 8 involved with Galway is no help to them though. They’d be better off going to America or somewhere.

Any word on the extent of Finnertys injury?

Hard to know what to make of today because Wexford couldn’t knock out a wank all evening. After a very shaky start Niland looked good and was scoring frees from all ranges. You’d have to feel you can’t have O’Shea and Niland on at the same time. Niland at wingback towards the end was interesting.

Whelan and Concannon bullied the strawberries but I was very happy with young Collins’ cameo. For a small maneen he has a bit of mullocker in him.

Morrissey and McInerney had fantastic outings too.

2 Likes

Yep, agree with pretty much all of that. Collins, along with others, looks a biteen slight. And may struggle if they have an ape from limerick hanging off them in July. But we need to find a few forwards. Maybe Collins has it in him to step up.

1 Like

I’d give up on Ja Mannion and Kevin Cooney so we can see what the likes of Collins/McManus/McLoughlin have to offer.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t pay any heed into todays game. Wexford offered nothing whatsoever. Not sure will Cork be much better next week going on their first half here

A bit like Connelly for the footballers, I’m inclined to mark him down as ‘very good club player’ but maybe not up to it at this level. But maybe I’m being a bit premature and unfair though.

1 Like