Galway - quadruple travails part 2

Another bad bateing for Portumna.

They’ve shipped some big scores this year. If JC gets injured or God forbid decides to say cheerio they could slip to Intermediate very easily

What on earth is a “preliminary” quarter final?

It’s the wheat from the chaff final.

Sars dismantling Killimordaly here in Duggan Park - half time 2-14 0-10

2 Likes

Cappy took care of Gort handy in the first game

Anyone new with looking at IC?

From Sars John Cooney will easily make the step up. Ian Fox continues to impress. Alex Connaire has finally woken up and young MacCarthaigh will probably be on the U20s.
Killimordaly…I was very disappointed with Brian Concannon. I know he was well marshalled by Darren Morrissey but still he was anonymous until they were beaten. 3-27 to 1-18 it finished. K’daly literally played with 14 as big Brian Burke just didnt get the ball.

I didn’t see much of the early game but the reports are young Collins played extremely well as did Ja Mannion.

Galway SHC Quarter-Final Draw:

Oranmore Maree vs Sarsfields
Loughrea vs Clarinbridge
Castlegar vs Turloughmore
St Thomas vs Cappataggle

Senior B semis

Mullagh v Mellowes
Ahascragh Fohenagh v Kilnadeema-Leitrim

4 Likes

Galway SHC quarter-finals

Oranmore-Maree v Sarsfields
Loughrea v Clarinbridge
Castlegar v Turloughmore
St. Thomas’ v Cappataggle

Galway Senior B semi-finals

Mullagh v Liam Mellows
Kilnadeema-Leitrim v Ahascragh-Fohenagh

Galway IHC quarter-finals

Meelick-Eyrecourt v Kinvara
Tynagh Abbey-Duniry v Carnmore
Sylane v Clarinbridge
Rahoon-Newcastle v Ballinderreen

https://twitter.com/peterswellman/status/1703383146907988446?t=C2bugXOevPzWijof0_ziDQ&s=19

Johnny O’Connor to join Galway hurlers backroom team as coach

Share story:

FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmail

Galway Bay FM Sport can reveal that former Irish Rugby International Johnny O’Connor is the new Lead Athletic Development Coach with the Galway Senior Hurlers, replacing Lukasz Kirszenstein. Galway native O’Connor spent 10 years in two different spells at Connacht Rugby along with a trophy-laden three years at Wasps in England. Having earned his first professional contract with Connacht in 2000, he played at the Sportsground for three seasons before moving to Wasps. The dynamic flanker won two Heineken Cups, two Premiership titles, and a Powergen Cup with the English club before returning to Connacht in 2007 where he made a huge impact over a seven-year period.

On the international scene, O’Connor made his Ireland debut in 2004 and went on to earn 12 caps, helping the national side to Triple Crown success in 2006. Having retired from professional rugby in 2013, O’Connor took up his first Strength and Conditioning role at Arsenal before returning home to Ireland after three years to join Galway United’s backroom in 2016 under manager Shane Keegan. A year later, Johnny was back with Connacht Rugby before his latest role with the Galway hurlers sees him take on the full-time role of Athletic Development.

1 Like

So Lukasz is gone, or moved up?
I was reliably informed that the job spec was written for someone.

I think that cod is still involved with the underage unfortunately. Johnny is a solid appointment but hopefully his role expands.

I’d be fairly sure Lukasz is gone. I heard himself and Henry didnt see eye to eye at all.

Henry must have actually wanted the lads physically fit and conditioned or something mad like that.

4 Likes

Lukasz had the 17 to 20 year olds on some watery south Galway soup. Smaller and waker they were getting.

1 Like

Hopefully JO’C has skinny lads like Monaghan, Morrissey & Glennon looking like Hulk Hogan by the end of the Allianz

3 Likes

Johnny was some operator.

1 Like

He’s still very highly regarded. Did excellent work with Connacht in recent years so he’s no dinosaur they brought out of hibernation. Strange to see county board appoint probably exactly what we need, for a change.

1 Like

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth::smile::+1:
You mentioned dinosaur. Perhaps that species is evolving at Co Board level?

Him and Henry. Just need a brains trust.