Geech to coach the lions

Wasps director of rugby Ian McGeechan has been confirmed as head coach for the 2009 Lions tour of South Africa.

The Scot has already coached on four previous Lions trips, three as head coach, including the victorious 1997 series win over the Springboks.

McGeechan, 61, was also a player on the 1974 and 1977 Lions side tours.

“From day one McGeechan was in our thoughts, he’s the most successful coach in Lions history,” said Lions chairman Andy Irvine.

“We wanted someone with a special bond with the Lions. We looked elsewhere as well but time and again we kept going back to Ian,” added Irvine.

“The 2005 tour (of New Zealand) was very disappointing as we lost the Test series 3-0 so it’s vital we have the best leadership for to achieve success in South Africa.”

McGeechan, coach of the successful midweek team in 2005 as one of Sir Clive Woodward’s assistants, guided the Lions to series victories over Australia in 1989 and then-world champions South Africa in 1997, as well as a narrow series defeat by New Zealand in 1993.

The former Scotland and Northampton coach was always favourite to take on the role for the three-Test, 10-match tour from 30 May - 4 July next year against the world champion Springboks.

As a Lions player, the former Scotland centre featured in all four Tests of the 1974 series victory over South Africa and all four against New Zealand three years later

best man for the job to be honest…would expect edwards to have a fairly prominant role also…

wonder who will be the lions captain…ryan jones, steve borthwick, o driscoll, o connell etc…

Ah Puke, how can you suggest borthwick for captain??

I think they’d be better off without O’Driscoll as captain or any Irish player for that matter. Would prefer to see them playing to their best without any added pressure.

borthwick was named england captain for there tour of new zealand…presume he will hold onto it if england do anyway reasonable…think vicory is part it…had to include an english option mac…

ah fair enough, but I just cant stand him. His surname just sounds like one of the posh English private school names that annoys the shite out of me. He even looks like a pr1ck. Real toffee nosed b*stard. I never really rated him as a player but I know he had a decent 6 nations. Am sure Johnson will work with him to improve him as well.

if i had to pick a lions 15 myself it would be:

sheridan
flannery
jones

o connell
borthwick/o callaghan/wyn-jones

leamy
haskell(not a natural 7 but we need an aggresive pack in south africa)
ryan jones ©

peel/reddan
o gara

strettle
hook
o driscoll
sackey/williams/horgan

byrne

subs
bennett
stevens
borthwick/o callaghan/wyn-jones
rees/heaslip/lipman
peel/reddan
cipriani
henson/tait

welsh 5 and 2 subs
english 5 and 3 subs
irish 5 and 2 subs

in the positions that i have named more than one player the first named would be my preference

in fairness he does seem like a bit of a smug prick alright but he is a fairly decent second row and seems like a good leader for bath…think he is leaving them in the summer though…think he is going to sarracens

what the fook happened on AFR puke. You have any hassle logging in there no? Either the messing around on it has caused an issue or AFR has banned me…could be either!!

i have no bother…although about 2 months ago i couldnt log on for a few days kept tellin me my password/log in was incorrect…

did you step out of line or do anything else that could get you banned daniel…

[quote=“The Puke”]i have no bother…although about 2 months ago i couldnt log on for a few days kept tellin me my password/log in was incorrect…

did you step out of line or do anything else that could get you banned daniel…[/quote]

only thing I can think of is Dodge keeper posted that he couldnt get home to his local teams championship game as it was on a friday

I just said (as he is one of the main munster bandwagon adgitators and the only poster over there who I would really like to smash the shit out of) hed make it if twas the final with a foam hand and load of boozze etc…was a bit abusive towards him but any of the regular posters…and indeed AFR would have known the ‘private joke’ it was between me and dodgy…nothing that doesnt go on there day in day out…

im sure someone complained it was an abusive post but def shouldnt have resulted in a banning…im as happy to be honest sick of the horseshit there at the moment…probelm is i cant log in here from work

to be honest that place is no loss…only on it at the moment as i have 2 much time on my hands…

[quote=“dancarter”]only thing I can think of is Dodge keeper posted that he couldnt get home to his local teams championship game as it was on a friday

I just said (as he is one of the main munster bandwagon adgitators and the only poster over there who I would really like to smash the shit out of) hed make it if twas the final with a foam hand and load of boozze etc…was a bit abusive towards him but any of the regular posters…and indeed AFR would have known the ‘private joke’ it was between me and dodgy…nothing that doesnt go on there day in day out…

im sure someone complained it was an abusive post but def shouldnt have resulted in a banning…im as happy to be honest sick of the horseshit there at the moment…probelm is i cant log in here from work[/quote]

This is worth trying if you can’t access from work:
http://69.89.25.175/~thefreek/vbforum

Think I have that address right.