George Lee

Christ, this whole thing is making me incredibly angry. This post would have been considerably longer except Noel Whelan said pretty much everything I wanted to say. Where does this gobshite get his sense of entitlement from? Because he was on the news every night for a few years? If he had so much to offer, why did I near nothing from him other than bland denouncements of NAMA with no real alternative given over the last nine months?

My main problem though is with this notion that heā€™s been kept quiet by the big boys in FG. He wasnā€™t co-opted onto the DĆ”il by FG, he was elected by a huge majority. If heā€™s not happy with his role in FG, whatā€™s to stop him from using his mandate to speak forcefully from the backbenches. He was probably the only TD with the profile to get seriously heard doing that. Donā€™t give me bullshit praising him for not taking the ā‚¬80K as an Independent or whatever it is. Heā€™ll still be taking a pretty penny from the public purse in his new/old job. Nothing should be considered more precious than being granted the right to represent the people in the national legislature. Nobody put a gun to his head to make him go looking for votes.

But thats the point, he was always going to be more than a lone backbencher, what was to stop him using his profile & huge mandate to be heard.

Hear that fucking eejit before the break on about how we should elect local gombeens who know local issues! The sooner his ilk die off the better for this country.

He was brought in on the basis that he was going to be involved in shaping the response to the financial crisis. And once he was in that didnā€™t happen, letā€™s face it, Fine Gael used him as a celebrity vote winner. He didnā€™t want to be that kind of politician so he left.

I think that the reality is that you canā€™t though, that ultimately the system is much bigger than any one individual regardless of their conviction. In other words there are pressures and obligations that maintain the current system that make the rules for the people in that system. Now the argument is that he could have created a political movement that would have challenged that system but itā€™s not often someone comes along who can do that.

I think thatā€™s the key point. Lee leaving politics isnā€™t going to reform it, he would be more true to his representative had he stayed in, used his undoubted public persona to attempt change things from the inside. The more I think about it, the more I think that George wanted it easy and nothing in life is easy.

Also with regards to young Brennan, if he is half the politican his Dad was then heā€™ll be better than most. Then again that could be the problem - far too many TDs in there living off a family name.

But why is he limited to what FG want him to be? Rightly or wrongly, his celebrity and mandate gave him a voice in the backbenches that would have to be listened to. If he spoke out on anything, it would have got massive coverage. If he was serious about it, thatā€™s what he would have done. What are the great ideas and policies that he keeps banging on about?

Instead, he slinks back to his cushy job in RTƉ. (As a matter of interest, does anyone know if his leave of absence had a time limit? Did that influence his decision?) He convinced 27,000 people to give their vote to him, and now heā€™s taking the piss out of every single one of them.

As an aside, his childish parting shot at Kenny by saying there are murmurings about him is absolutely pathetic and completely undermines his claim that he was about some new kind of politics. I hope they donā€™t put him back in the newsroom, because Iā€™ll just be able to ignore him if he has his own show.

Do you really think that he could have though? I donā€™t think anything short of a mass movement can change a political system. A well intentioned guy who used to be on the telly isnā€™t enough anyway. If anything itā€™s the Irish people who want things easy.

On the news this evening that leave of absence expires end of May and that RTE are obliged to take any member of staff back under such an arrangement.

Do you think this is Mr Smith goes to Washington?

He could have played that part but it would have been bullshit and he knew it.

Jesus, Varadkar is some cunt.

How frustrating is it that the likes of the interesting points made by Lee and the two academics about the nature of the political system are
allowed to be made and then simply ignored and the ususal current affairs media/party political discourse carries on as if nothing has been challenged. Iā€™m at the stage that any current affairs coerage that doesnā€™t involve Vincent Browneā€™s infectious exasperation and wit just leaves me seething.

Yeah it was the Ivan Yates/Noel Whelan smuggery that got me.

Your man is just an egomaniac and the system is grand so it is. Letā€™s just crack a few jokes and be done with it.

It is an Irish trait more than anything I would say to run ourselves down - no more so than on this website. We are a joke of a country because a stack of snow brings us to a standstill (it brought the UK to one as well), our whole political system is a disaster (yet we have peace in the North and our economy appears to be holding up - just about, much like other countries). I am not trying to say for one minute that we are perfect and the whole treatment of the Celtic Tiger was extremely reckless but we are not that bad, and running ourselves down unjustifiably the whole time certainly doesnā€™t help matters.

Lee has jumped on the back of such a view. Here is our hero, the man to take on the system, except that he didnā€™t even bother trying because he never had the stomach for it. He was an economist expert on RTE - this does not mean that he deserved to be Taoiseach.

An egomaniac the more I think of it.

Every TD has the ultimate public forum to speak up in. Most would be ingored by the general public if they used it, but Lee wouldnā€™t have been becuase of his profile. If he actually had something fresh or original to say, which I strongly suspect he didnā€™t, it would have been heard and the leadership would have been very wary of leaving such a heavy loose cannon floating around. I canā€™t believe youā€™re swallowing the horseshit heā€™s coming out with to be honest.

Who suggested that this was unique to Ireland?

Nobody said that.

I am suggesting it - donā€™t know if it is unique but definitely popular in Ireland.

The ultimate public forum? The ultimate public forum is the mainstream media, Leeā€™s complaint is that someone in the media has a greater capacity to exert pressure for change than someone in that system, because within the system you shut your mouth and tow the line or you wonā€™t get anywhere. This seems to be playing out as an argument between people who believe that a great orator can rise and rock the system, and people who say thatā€™s a fairytale. The evidence would seem to support the latter.

If Leeā€™s resignation was to actually be seen seen for what he claims it is and actually started a genuine debate on the political system it might
have been a bigger contribution thatn any he could have made in the Dail. On the basis of that show it will do nothing of the sort because the RTE/Irish Times media is just as big a part of the system.

If Lee returns to RTE is he going to champion the cause of root and branch politial reform or will he just report/analyse as always? :rolleyes:

What do you make of the likes of Yates farmer with his ā€œoh this is just feeding cynicismā€ argument? I think that the cynicism is justified because by now, we should know that the system is corrupt as fuck. Incidently I would say that from living in England i found them to be way, way more negative than us. Youā€™d only have to watch the likes of HIGNFY to understand that, although it takes on a more whimsical tone in that forum.

I donā€™t think heā€™s a great orator. In fact, I think heā€™s a rather dull economic journalist that got ideas above his station. I donā€™t believe heā€™s a great loss to public life. My point is that if he actually had something to say, and he bothered to speak out, he would have been listened to and his views carried in the ā€˜mainstream mediaā€™ (what a fucking tiresome phrase) because of his high profile. The FG leadership could not have left him floating out there, he would have hurt them. They would have to have brought him and his ideas into the tent. If you read beyond the first sentence of my post you would have got that.

Anyway, more to the point, he has let down his constituents. Being a TD isnā€™t like a normal job that you can give up if you donā€™t like your first few months. He has a duty to speak up and serve out his term.