Getting a dog

Every possibility :smirk:

1 Like

:grinning:

How would you handle sacrificing the couch space??

Be long way down the list of issues. I wouldn’t get 5 hours a week on the couch I’d say so he can have it if it kept the rest of em quiet :blush:

Don’t let the dog on the couch. Buy it a nice bed of its own.

Might be easier get a nice little bed for Gil

1 Like

I got a dog for the parents, must be 20 odd years ago out in Fedamore. They said they had enough dogs but I knew the mother would love a sheepdog but the lad I got turned out to be a cattle dog more so than a collie.

Short hair, strong as an ox. Eager to learn but the father was gone too old and the mother just doted on him. The brother too impatient. I offered to bring him back to a lad in the well to train him for a couple of weeks, but the mother wouldn’t part with him.

He died young enough after from bowel cancer. Like I said above the collar trained him but if he got excited he’d burst through, jump gate and all. In all the years he was only one of two dogs that was smart enough for the main road. Used break the mothers heart all the dogs that died on that road.

2 Likes

Sheepdogs are unreal smart but absolutely mental. They should only be on a farm. They have boundless energy, you could be walking them all day and it wouldn’t matter. They need to be working.

We got one and he had the farmer behind us demented. He used to round up all the cows and send them back out the gap the farmer had driven them in. No training he just wanted to do it or needed to do it.

We ended up giving him to a farmer and he was made up with him. We were sorry to lose him because he was a great yoke. But twas cruel to deny him work when it was all he wanted. He had huge space to operate in, but you couldn’t keep him in. He’d vault the wall like a show jumper

3 Likes

Ah, that’s him exactly. Great story.

1 Like

All this soft talk of labradors… people have absolutely no business getting a labrador if the dog isn’t going to be suitably exercised at least twice a day for the duration of its life. The country is full of obese labradors that lounge around the kitchen and the sitting room ateing far too much shite. They develop health issues related to their lifestyle and while they are undoubtedly ‘part of he family’ they have a desperate quality of life.

As well meaning as getting a dog for young kids is, it has to be right for the dog too. Dogs want to work and work for praise. Four paws in the air, upside down on the couch, only stirring when someone opens a press is no life.

Think on it.

5 Likes

This lad has no shortage of walks, I think he’s in great shape,
What line of work should we put him into?

9 Likes

Lovely trees in the background

1 Like

Here’s a pet for you mate

5 Likes

Literally have this lad holding pens on my desk

He’s gorgeous - would he swim much?

We’d take him to swim a fair bit but need to limit how long we leave him at it, he’s had a couple of doses of swimmers tail which is painful for him.

They love the water. Great dogs. Pity about the tail.

There’s a black lab who destroys my food bin every night (meaning it never has to be emptied). He has also stolen a heap of the cats food bowls and damaged a load of plants going through the floor beds.

Took him up Keeper hill just now, he’s resting in the back of the car

9 Likes

He should be put to work out mowing the lawn.

1 Like