GGA player has depression

And iā€™m not defending them or back slapping them, I agree 100% its a choice, but to try and portray it as easy is just sheer bollix.

Paddy Kelly - Primary School Teacher

Noel ( Nollaig ) O Leary - Tree Surgeon

A Galway Camogie player works for the same company as me. She gets no special treatment or cushyness.

@Nembo_Kid seems to be channelling his own job dissatisfaction through these posts - maybe he should sort that out. Would you see an intercounty player in a job spending 6 of their working hours a day posting on internet forum?

3 Likes

Iā€™m not surprised that a camogie player doesnā€™t get special treatment.

2 Likes

I really hope and expect it was tongue in cheek from @Mac

Clamped

I didnā€™t portray it as easy but a lot of them have cushy numbers due to their profile. I noticed you didnā€™t comment on my points regarding the Donegal and Mayo teams and how most of their players are fixed up with employment in areas where there is no real local economy and a high proportion of their demograph have had to leave to seek employment.

You hear about the work hours these guys working in Big 4 firms put in, where they do 70/80 hour working weeks. Do you really think the likes of Dyas or David Moran or Cian Oā€™Sullivan are required to do this? They are in their hole. They get preferential treatment because they have a high profile name. They are probably just rolled out to meet clients and such, in a similar way to which secretaries or PAs or sometimes hired on their looks, these guys are hired on their name. They are name candy.

The bitterness seeping out of these posts is hilarious

Depends on their role - if they are accountants or want to be and are doing Business Development roles and that suits them while they are playing then that is fine. Problem is when their inter county career ends and they havenā€™t done the hours, they donā€™t have the experience and they will be given a period of time to back fill the knowledge but if they donā€™t succeed then they end up in a (usually) lower paid BD role and not in accountant role

When you are playing and not working you are missing out on experience which can be key to your career progression.

Other lads who donā€™t work in ā€œprofessionalā€ roles miss out on shifts and have to explain to their other half why they have no cash
Nobody makes them do it but outside the top tier counties where you do have some profile, you get a car, you get a step up career wise (but will have to back fill) most players sacrifice career for the sport and even in top tier counties the benefits can be short lived and not there for everybody.

1 Like

I donā€™t think they sacrifice careers for the sport, not all these lads are going to be driven, career orientated people. People harping on about the sacrifices and commitments they make is ridiculous, very few them have severely demanding and pressurised jobs and their earnings arenā€™t adversely effected. Sure some of them are thick as pig shit and are carried through university and handed a degree at the end of that, then walk into a cushy job where they have little responsibility, pressure and a shortened working week.

I see Jamie Clarke is off travelling again, another lad who hasnā€™t worked a day in his life.

1 Like

oh jesusā€¦

Who is replying to what here?? cluster fuck,

1 Like

The work tag rugby football team get preferential treatment if theyā€™ve a 6pm match in the summer. Youā€™d see them strolling out at 5.25pm instead of 5.30pm.

3 Likes

jesus you are bitter.

I know some of these accountant lads work early twice a week to go training and longer on their other days. And when Kerry have extra sessions they work early every morning.

More or less everything you say is rubbish based on rumour and a couple of individuals.

Get a life.

And while mine is based on rumour and a couple of individuals, what is yours based on?

Does @Nembo_Kid understand how accountancy works? The CFO of a large corporation being audited or engaging in professional services from one of the Big 4 will not have a clue who David Moran, Cian Oā€™Sullivan or Dyas are, let alone care about them being rolled out in front of him.

Of course it was tongue in cheek - FFS Sake

I think you must be a bit slow if you canā€™t figure it out. A lot of these guys have high profiles and maybe CFOs like meeting and mingling with these people?

Do you not think itā€™s a conflict of interest that PWC has a few GPA members on their books when they are corporate partners.

Hereā€™s David Moran getting stuck into a set of accounts.

Thereā€™s Kevin Dyas hard at work with PWC.

And thereā€™s Cian Oā€™Sullivan stressed out meeting impending deadlines.

2 Likes