GGA star says professional sportsman are in awe of the deidcation of GGA players

Speaking to the Irish Examiner, Maher related his belief that GAA could take lessons from cricket. A professional sport, players still enjoy a laugh at training, something the Borris-Ileigh clubman feels is nearly taboo at GAA training.

His temporary teammates were also amazed at the commitment of GAA players. The aspect which most astonished them was abstention from the consumption of alcohol.

I said, ‘there’s no way we’d do this in the GAA. If you even had a beer two or three months before a game you’d nearly be lambasted for it’.

They were like, ‘what?!’ They were saying, ‘would you really not take a drink after games?’ I said, ‘only after Championship games maybe or something like that’. I was telling them that’s the norm back home and they couldn’t believe the dedication that’s given and how much we train. I was going through my typical week and they were saying, ‘you train that much!

Cricketers are hardly sportsmen…

3 Likes

+1

They still had some laugh at Paddy and his drink ban though I’d say.

:cricket:

Definitely sure your could play cricket half cut…

Its like Junior C, you’d probably improve as a player if you were pissed.

The thing with drinking bans is that teams generally have a match or training on Sundays so it’s fair enough that you shouldn’t drink the night before a match or training. A few pints on a Friday night or lads in college going out during the week shouldn’t be banned though

Very admirable sentiments from Cahir Healy here but I think it’s too late.

A very nice man is Cahir. But he’s pissing into the wind there.

1 Like

Yes, he is. And that’s a pity. Clubs, with the exception, maybe, of superclubs like Cuala, will soon be withering on the vine.

Funnily enough his own club are the very definition of a superclub. Albeit in football only as they let hurling fall to shite in the place. I heard a story recently about them having close to 100 kids lined out for nursery hurling one morning, and only 3 coaches there to handle them.

There’s no sympathy in this game for anybody.

thats the biggest irony of it all considering his clubs standing in Laois.

The Portlaoise hurling lads wouldn’t be the worst. The footballers are generally a shower of cunts. Ergo, Cahir is half alright, and verging more on the 65% alright given his preference to hurling. Portlaoise GAA will be keeping their heads down anyway of late I’d imagine.

whats this now?