Giro

Good effort from Ricco yesterday. Time trialling is obviously his weakest discipline but he stuck to his task very well and finished within 2 minutes of Kloden and better than Di Luca. Looked very strong as well which meant he put in a serious effort near the end.

On reflection little bit disappointed with Ricco’s performance. To lose two minutes or there abouts on a stage that was by no means all flat. With two time trials to go and the last stage being an entirely flat timetrial then Ricco needs to really gain serious time over his rivals in the mountains. Sen Kelly is discussing the possibility of Italians working together to stop Contador or Kloden winning. Sounds like a great idea to me. Contador is now just over evens to win gc. Telling that he gained time on all his rivals over the hilly section of yesterdays stage imo.

I thought Ricco was about 2 minutes down going into the hilly part and finished just under 2 minutes down?

Eithere way hilly time trialling is alot different from climbing in a normal stage. There are guys who can go up mountains all day (like Ullrich) who were fine at time trialling up hills but it was the acceleration and change of pace by guys like Riis and Pantani that the bigger guys can’t live with. And the Giro is more suited to that because it has more hilly stages than Le Tour.

[quote=“therock67”]I thought Ricco was about 2 minutes down going into the hilly part and finished just under 2 minutes down?

Eithere way hilly time trialling is alot different from climbing in a normal stage. There are guys who can go up mountains all day (like Ullrich) who were fine at time trialling up hills but it was the acceleration and change of pace by guys like Riis and Pantani that the bigger guys can’t live with. And the Giro is more suited to that because it has more hilly stages than Le Tour.[/quote]

No he was 1’40 odd down and then lost a few seoonds on last section. Didn’t lose anywhere near the amount he had lost on the flat but I was thinking in some ways he should be gaining time on the others if he is to be a serious contender. Perhaps being a little pessimistic. Very valid point from you though as to differences between hilly time trial and climbing in a normal stage. Still with last stage entirely flat Ricco has to have big advantage going into that stage. Kelly was making the point that this Giro could be similar to Giro of 87 where Roche was being isolated apart from having one domisteque.

Ricco just attacked and split the peloton up. He has done this a couple of times on stages that do not suit him at all. Contador, Kloden, Di Luca followed him. Seems like an awful waste of energy on a stage that is by no means severe.

Crash involving Leipheimer, Pipeoli and the rider in pink. Surprisingly entertaining stage.

Interesting stuff. I wonder does Ricco think he might have a slight advantage in the earlier parts of the race because Astana weren’t prepared (whether they were or not is another issue) so he’s trying to have the race over before it comes to the end when Astana will be stronger. As you say he’ll struggle badly on the last time trial so he’ll need a big lead for then if he’s to win outright.

If nothing else Ricco is entertaining. He’s very attacking.

[quote=“therock67”]Interesting stuff. I wonder does Ricco think he might have a slight advantage in the earlier parts of the race because Astana weren’t prepared (whether they were or not is another issue) so he’s trying to have the race over before it comes to the end when Astana will be stronger. As you say he’ll struggle badly on the last time trial so he’ll need a big lead for then if he’s to win outright.

If nothing else Ricco is entertaining. He’s very attacking.[/quote]

Yeah Discovery uunder Bruynell used to always do better at end of tours compared to the start of them apparently. Savodelli, Di Luca and Ricco seem to be trying to put Astana under pressure. On the flat run in now and it will be difficult for them to gain time on Kloden and Contador though Leipheimer is suffering after his fall.

How do you think time trial will go tomorrow rock? Just been on another forum and it appears as though Contador was dropped before Eurosport Uk coverage began today and then managed to get back with Ricco group. Would have been nice if Harmon or Kelly told us. Below are latest odds.
Alberto Contador 11/10 Boylesports
Riccardo Ricco 5/2 Sky Bet
Denis Menchov 6 Boylesports
Danilo Di Luca 13/2 Boylesports
Gilberto Simoni 9 Boylesports

Think it’s between Ricco, Contador and Di Luca for the overall victory. Menchov is a strong bastard but he doesn’t like responding to all those changes of pace from Ricco and I think he’s planning on giving it his all in the TDF so I’d discount him. He put in a very good ride today but seemed to lose out in the last burst of acceleration. He’s a better time trialler than Ricco or Di Luca but I think he’ll lose out in the last few mountain stages.

Really hoping Ricco can put in a decent time tomorrow. He looked very strong today and the few seconds he gained on the others might be crucial. Obviously Contador is a better time trialler but the profile is straight uphill so it’s as much a test of climbing as it is of time tialling. Big problem of course is pacing yourself and Ricco was using those little bursts of acceleration today to try and hurt the others. He won’t be able to do that tomorrow but at the same time there’s no reason why he can’t climb with the same aggression on his own. I don’t think he ever really gave it all today, think he was happy enough to take a few seconds and he didn’t look like he was putting everything into his acceleration so I’m hoping that he’s got a bit in store for tomorrow.

It doesn’t look great tomorrow and it’s hard to expect Contador to get beaten in a TT but the fact he was dropped earlier and had difficulty hanging on a few times gives me a bit of hope.

Apparently the surface for tomorrow’s race is appalling. Speculation that that will suit Simoni as he has the best bike handling. Contador would like a smooth surface I’m sure. Fascinating stage ahead. Ricco must have a lead of at least three minutes before heading into the final stage to win the gc imo. If Menchov is in within a minute of Contador going into last stage I wouldn’t rule him out as flat tt would probably suit him better than Contador. Pretty open going into last week anyway.

Pellizotti won today with Sella second, Simoni third and Contador fourth. Think Ricco was fifth but can’t get a confirmed result anywhere with the time gaps.

Can’t believe Sella has won two stages in a row and then tears up a mountainside to get a second place on a time trial afterwards. Crazy stuff.

Ricco probably didn’t lose much time on Contador but it’s a pity he didn’t manage to pick up a few seconds. He’ll need to attack him on every mountain left to get enough advantage before the last TT.

Ricco lost eight seconds to Contador. He is now 41 seconds behind Contador with Simoni a further 40 seconds back. Menchov is seventh at 2’47. Himself and Di Luca lost a minute and a half on Contador today. Hope the contenders work together to isolate Contador whose team, manager and riding style all annoy me.

Thought Kelly made a good point at the end of the higlights there - Di Luca will have to come out and attack Contador now. Don’t think he has a chance of making it back but that won’t stop him trying (he is the champion after all and won’t want to give that up). And any sort of explosive mountain stage at all will help Ricco.

Rest day tomorrow isn’t it then a couple of flattish stages before two last chances on Friday and Saturday for the climbers to attack.

Yeah is indeed a good point. Di Luca, Ricco, Simoni will all attack Contador now. None of them are looking for a podium spot really which is what some riders can ride for at this stage in a grand tour. They all want to win the GC so Contador will be tested.

Lashing with rain in this stage apparently. Would love to be watching it. Current race situation is:

• Alexander Efimkin (Quick Step), Steven Cummings (Barloworld), Nicki Srensen (Team CSC)
  • Giairo Ermeti (LPR Brakes), Vasili Kiryienka (Tinkoff Credit Systems), Gabriele Missaglia (Serramenti PVC) and Kanstantsin Siutsou (Team High Road) at 0.30
  • Danilo Di Luca (LPR Brakes), Paolo Savoldelli (LPR Brakes) and Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas) at 12.48
  • Alberto Contador Velasco (Astana), Antonio Colom Mas (Astana), Andreas Klden (Astana), Emanuele Sella (CSF Group Navigare), Gilberto Simoni (Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli), Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas), Riccardo Ricc (Saunier Duval - Scott), Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Silence - Lotto) and Marzio Bruseghin (Lampre) at 14.00

Menchov and Leipheimer both dropped. Di Luca’s break have been going at some pace apparently.

Lashing with rain in this stage apparently. Would love to be watching it. Current race situation is:

• Alexander Efimkin (Quick Step), Steven Cummings (Barloworld), Nicki Srensen (Team CSC)
  • Giairo Ermeti (LPR Brakes), Vasili Kiryienka (Tinkoff Credit Systems), Gabriele Missaglia (Serramenti PVC) and Kanstantsin Siutsou (Team High Road) at 0.30
  • Danilo Di Luca (LPR Brakes), Paolo Savoldelli (LPR Brakes) and Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas) at 12.48
  • Alberto Contador Velasco (Astana), Antonio Colom Mas (Astana), Andreas Klden (Astana), Emanuele Sella (CSF Group Navigare), Gilberto Simoni (Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni-Androni Giocattoli), Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas), Riccardo Ricc (Saunier Duval - Scott), Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Silence - Lotto) and Marzio Bruseghin (Lampre) at 14.00

Menchov and Leipheimer both dropped. Di Luca’s break have been going at some pace apparently.

Pity Ricco didn’t get away with Di Luca but I knew Di Luca would come out and attack. Don’t be shy with the updates larry.

Ricco and Di Luca both ate into Contador’s lead who could struggle tomorrow. Great read below. Wonder should Ricco have attacked earlier and taken pink himself. Fascinating two stages left. Hope and believe Ricco will do enough tomorrow to take pink. Whether he has enough in the TT to retain it I am doubtful.

16:38 - Hats off to Andrew Tomkins and Sam Macdonald, both of whom went for Kiryienka. As for all those people who went for Karpets, well, blame race radio. Though to be fair, working out who’s who is never easy when you can’t see a thing.

16:36 - Well, that was absolutely thrilling, and what a day we have ahead of us tomorrow, when the Italians take the fight to Contador once again on the Mortirolo.

16:34 - It turns out Contador has done just enough to preserve his pink jersey! Ricco is now just four seconds back on the GC! Di Luca is now 21 seconds back, with Marzio Bruseghin 2’00" back. Gilberto Simoni is out of the picture now.

0km - Simoni crosses the line over 9 minutes back on Kiryienka now. He has had a terrible day.

0km - Contador’s group crosses the line now. Stopwatches at the ready! He comes in at the very back of the group, pain etched on his face. He’s around two minutes back on Di Luca! Has he done enough to retain the pink jersey? I think he just might.

0km - Now Ricco crosses the line 1’04" behind Di Luca. Don’t forget though, Di Luca will have a 12-second time bonus.

0km - It turns out Di Luca has already passed Steve Cummings, so Di Luca finished second! That’s a 12-second time bonus!!!

0km - Di Luca has gone past Efimkin, and passes under the flamme rouge! So he will finish either third or better, depending on where Cummings is, and pick up a time bonus!

0km - 1’22" is the latest gap between Di Luca and Ricco, I am told.

0km - My stopwatch is primed. Ricco is charging up the final few kilometres in pursuit of Di Luca. Both of them are after the pink jersey of Alberto Contador, who is further back down the road.

0km - Vasil Kiryienka stops the clock at 6h37’32" to take by far and away the biggest win of his career! As Duffers would say: Chapeau!

0.5km - Kiryienka moves into the final 500 metres and zips up his jersey ready for the finish.

1km - Kiryienka goes under the flamme rouge and is into the final kilometre!!! This will be a thoroughly deserved stage win.

1.5km - Contador is still desperately trying to keep his rhythm. He can still see Ricco ahead, but the Italian is slowly moving away.

2km - Riccardo Ricco is riding out a big lead!! He’s 41 seconds back on the general classification, and he could well be riding into pink today!

2.5km - Now Ricco attacks! AND CONTADOR IS IN TROUBLE! He can’t follow!!! Ricco is off, and he is flying away!!!

2.5km - Emanuele Sella attacks! What an attacking rider he is! Unfortunately for him, he is reeled back in immediately.

3km - Contador moves out from the wheel of Klden and picks up the pace! Is he feeling okay after all? Klden is dropped now.

3km - Kiryienka looks like he has this stage win wrapped up. Just as long as he doesn’t do anything silly with his gears again.

4km - Di Luca has a steely determination in his eyes, and has a 2’15" lead on the pink jersey.

4km - I don’t know about you, but I think this is shaping up to be a fantastically exciting stage!

4km - Contador seems to be having trouble following Klden’s pace. Meanwhyile, Ricco is looking very comfortbale sat on the shoulder of the Spaniard.

5km - Well, if Pellizotti can somehow maunch an attack (easier said than done, I know) then he has a very strong team-mate up the road who would be a huge help.

5km - Vincenzo Nibali has made it back to Di Luca.

6km - So, it’s still Kiryienka out front, followed by Cummings and Efimkin around a minute back. Sorensen is another 30 seconds back, with Siutsou yet further back.

7km - 2’10" is the gap!!! Di Luca has put 2’10" into Contador! Has he blown his bullets already, as Stephen Roche would say, or can he maintain this?

7km - Di Luca goes over the top of the Presolana now! Let’s time it back to the Contador group!

7km - Simoni has lost contact with the Contador group. Klden has whittled them down to just 8 riders now.

8km - Needless to say, the Tifosi are absolutely loving this attack from Di Luca.

8km - Kiryienka took the KOM points for going over the Passo della Presolana first, followed by Efimkin and Cummings. This is a fantastic effort from Steve Cummings.

8km - DI LUCA HAS MOVED TO 1’55" CLEAR OF THE PINK JERSEY GROUP! It remains to be seen whether he can maintain this tempo, but he has certainly put significant time into Contador’s group.

10km - Di Luca kicks on AND DROPS NIBALI!!! Danilo Di Luca has decided to throw down the gauntlet and take it to Contador!

11km - Savoldelli has given his all, and he’s dropped back now. It’s all up to Di Luca. He has Nibali in his wheel.

12km - As we suspected, Ermeti can’t follow Di Luca and Savoldelli’s pace, and has already been dropped.

13km - Efimkin can’t follow Kiryienka’s pace, he’s dropping back very gradually.

14km - We approach the six hour mark, and Savoldelli still hauling Di Luca along. Nibali is getting a nice tow here from his two compatriots.

15km - Kiryienka attacks under the 15km barrier!!! Efimkin responds, but Cummings and Siutsou have been left for dead.

17km - Missaglia has also dropped back to the Di Luca group.

18km - The leaders have reached the Passo della Presolana. An average of 8,2% for 4.8 kilometres, though some passages are at a nasty 16%

19km - Klden is setting a fierce pace on the front of this group, and they are gradually hauling Di Luca’s group back in. The gap is down to about 55 seconds now.

20km - Ruslan Ivanov has hauled Simoni back up to Contador’s group, and Denis Menchov has profited by sitting in the veteran’s wheel.

21km - Ermeti has dropped back from the breakaway to help out his LPR team-mates Di Luca and Savoldelli, though I’m not sure he’s going to be able to ride at the pace required by Di Luca.

24km - In the “gruppo maglia rosa”, it’s Klden, followed by Colom, followed by Contador, Ricco, and Pellizotti is on his wheel. Felix Cardenas is in there too, along with a few elite others. BUT SIMONI IS STRUGGLING! HE’S OFF THE BACK!

24km - Savoldelli is really burying himself for Di Luca. He will pull time out of anyone on the descents, but whether he can match the pace Klden will set for Contador on the climbs is another question.

27km - A nine-man group including Contador has definitely broken away from the peloton! It’s Antonio Colom and Andreas Klden who are pulling it along. They are, however, 1’25" down on Di Luca, Savoldelli and Nibali.

27km - Kiryienka has got his chain stuck! He tried to switch down into the bid sprocket at the back while also in the big ring at the front! That’s pretty careless. He did this in the mountain time-trial the other day! You think he’d learn.

28km - 1’12" is the gap!!! LPR will be pretty pleased with that. Incidentally, the leaders are still 13’00" out in front.

29km - Savoldelli leads DI Luca and Nibali under the 35km barrier now. I’ll keep an eye on my stopwatch to see when the peloton with Cnotador comes through.

29km - Vasil Kiryienka is looking pretty comfortable, chewing away on some sort of energy bar, seemingly unperturbed by the rain that’s teeming down.

29km - The pictures from the peloton are still pretty dire. It seems as if Contador and Astana are back at the head of the main pack. They clearly aren’t willing to risk too much on the descent. To be fair, they don’t really need to go nuts. Di Luca is over two minutes back, and Contador is a superior time-triallist.

30km - Efimkin has been caught, and our breakaway is back together again.

31km - Andrew Tomkins, take two: "KIRIYENKA! I did think Karpets but he’s pulled the rug from beneath that prediction! But i think its between Kiriyenka or Sorensen. The favourites will leave it until tomorrow to have a shake up on the Mortirolo, but Ricco can’t help himself, he will have a go at some point in final… "

32km - Sam McDonald from Gloucester: “My heart says Cummings but my head says Kiryenka.” I think that’s a pretty solid shout, to be honest.

32km - Efimkin has attacked from the breakaway! He’s going for the stage win, but he’s struggling to gain any significant time.

33km - Di Luca is struggling to keep with Savoldelli. He’s bnot called “the falcon” for nothing. He is flying round these hairpin bends at breakneck speed.

34km - Contador and Astana have now responded, and have broken away as well. There’s nine men in their group, I’ll bring you more on that when I know exactly who they all are.

36km - It’s NIBALI! The Liquigas rider is Vincenzo NIBALI, alongside Di Luca and Pellizotti. LPR are taking the fight to Contador.

37km - There’s been an attack from the peloton. Through the teeming rain, I can see two LPR rain capes, and one Liquigas. It seems like the nutter descender of all nutter descenders (to quote David Duffield) Paolo Savoldelli is leading Danilo Di Luca and Franco Pellizotti down the back of the Vivione.

40km - The gap is now 15’25" and it would take a minor miracle for this lot to be reeled in now. Kiryienka must fancy his chance on an uphill finish, as will Siutsou. It’s not really an ideal stage for Steve Cummings, but he has a big heart. Don’t discount him yet.

42km - The breakaway riders are coming back to their team cars one by one to take on board a few more drinks and gels and things before they hit the Passo della Presolana.

45km - Cummings has managed to fight his way back to the leaders, and we have pictures of the peloton once again! Hooray! They are around 16’00" back.

46km - Siutsou and Massiglia have managed to bridge the gap back to the leaders, though Cummings is still around 20 seconds back. We only have pictures of the breakaway at the moment. No pictures of the peloton, who are still battling through the nasty weather near the top of the Vivione.

47km - Our friend in Russia, Kieran Donnelly, is plumping for the old man. He is backing Simoni.

47km - What I can tell you is that the four men our front are extending their lead over Cummings, Missaglia and Siutsou on the descent.

48km - Apologies for the mix up earlier. I’m still relying on race radio, who themselves seem to be struggling.

48km - A recap then of who exactly is out front: Giairo ERMETI (LPR), Alexandre EFIMKIN (Quickstep), Vasil KIRIYENKA (Tinkoff) and Nicki SORENSEN (CSC) are our four leaders. About one minute behind them are: Steve CUMMINGS (Barloword), Kanstantin SIUTSOU (High Road) and Gabriele MISSAGLIA (Diquigiovanni).

50km - It was Vasil Kiriyenka who took the 10 KOM points at the top of the Vivione, followed by Efimkin (6) and Ermeti (4). Meanwhile, Cummings, Siutsou and Missalglia have been dropped on the descent, and have lost about a minute.

50km - For some reason or other, there is an eagle at the finish wearing a sponsor’s necklace. The bird is currently receiving pretty much exclusive coverage from most of Europe’s sports channels at the moment, as there isn’t much else to show.

51km - Well, the rubbish weather conditions has meant we don’t actually have TV images from the race right now, so it’s back to race radio for me.

51km - Our leaders have finally hit the summit of the Passo del Vivione, and are probably pretty glad of it! They know have a long descent (close to 21 km) which is pretty technical and twisty, and could be a little precarious in this rain.

51km - Bill Whitman’s prediction: “I think Simoni will have a shot tomorrow, Saturday’s stage with the Cima Coppi, but today I think will be Nikki Sorensen.”

52km - Ray McNeill, from Vermont, USA says: “Don’t cross out Constantin Suitsou. He may stay away and take the stage. He’s a fearsome climber, as we saw on brasstown bald in Georgia when, at the steepest part of the climb, he dropped Leipheimer and Lloyd like they were standing still and took the stage and the overall.” Good knowledge!

52km - Cosmin, all the way from Bucharest, reckons the breakaway will be caught: “Contador will win the stage, Ricco second.”

54km - Steve Green may be working for a rival(?) TV company, but he clearly knows Eurosport is number one (for cycling and timber sports, that is). Here’s his two cents: “It’s a day for the big lads in the mountains - Karpets and Cummings will attack from the break, and Cummings will take it! Wishful thinking…”

54km - Ben Green is in little doubt as to what will happen: “Obviously Steve Cummings will attack his breakaway companions with 2km to go, and win by about 20 seconds…”

54km - Our seven leaders are now 1 kilometre from the top of the Vivione, and the weather is foul.

55km - Andy Unwin has also backed “big Vlad”, hoping the Russian will score him some fantasy points, but alas, he ain’t there.

55km - Daniele Pietropolli (LPR Brakes) and Alessandro Vanotti (Liquigas) try to escape from the peloton, but they are immediately reeled back in. Astana are keeping a pretty respectable pace.

56km - Stig, from Tromso says: “Simoni. His last stage win in his career.”

55km - Obviously that one was sent in before we realised race radio was under the charge of a clearly misguided/shortsighted individual. To be fair to Ryan, if Karpets was in there, I’d back him too.

56km - Right, here’s a few of your thoughts. Ryan from Peterborough reckons: “Karpets will win the stage, which is good for his Fantasy Team ‘Ullrich’s Revenge.’ However the main race will be behind about 2-5 minutes behind them. Menchov, Di Luca, Contador and Ricco in the chasing group…As Menchov and Di Luca plod along, Ricco will attack - Contador chases but just doesn’t have the juice and Ricco rolls in in second places behind Karpets.”

57km - The rain really is beginning to come down now. All the riders have their rain jackets on now. The gap seems to have stabilised at around 20 minutes.

60km - It’s Astana who are keeping the pace at the front of the peloton, all cosy in their rain jackets. Contador is about 7 riders back.

62km - Missiglia is beginning to suffer in the breakaway. He can’t follow this pace being set by Kiriyenka, who is admittedly a very fine climber.

67km - Right cycling fans, it’s prediction time. Who is going to win the stage? Will the breakaway stay away? Will Ricco take any time out of Contador? Don your Nostradamus caps and send your predictions to mickfitz@blueyonder.co.uk - same as yesterday.

67km - The breakaway’s advantage has been reduced to 19’40".

71km - I suppose that also reveals that I’m not actually sat on the back of a moped with a laptop tapping away furiously as events unfolded in front of my very eyes, racing up and down between the breakaway and the peloton. Though that was probably fairly obvious.

72km - Rest assured people that I won’t be depending on these trained chimps at race radio for much longer. In five minutes we get TV pictures, and all will be well again in the world.

74km - Err…it appears race radio have got their knickers in a twist. I was informed (our TV feed hasn’t come through yet) that Quickstep’s Mauro Facci was in the breakaway - which isn’t the case. It turns out, the mystery man in the breakaway is none other than our very own Steve “Jumbo” Cummings!!! It also appears that it’s not Vladimir Karpets in there, but Lampre’s Giairo Ermeti. Quite how you could get those two confused is beyond me.

76km - In terms of the battle for the pink jersey, Alberto Contador (Astana) is still the hot favourite. Riccardo Ricco (Saunier Duval) is 41" back in 2nd place, Gilberto Simoni (Diquigiovanni) is 1’21" back in third, while Marzio Bruseghin (Lampre) is 4th at 2’00" and Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas) fifth at 2’05".

77km - Needless to say, none of the escapees are a threat on the general classement. Here’s where they lie: Vladimir Karpets (32nd at 32’33"), Nicki Sorensen (34th at 33’25"), Kanstantsin Siutsou (35th at 37’45"), Vasil Kiryienka (45th at 45’30"), Gabriele Missaglia (77th at 1h34’18"), Alexandre Efimkin (90th at 1h44’28") and Mauro Facci (121st at 2h18’04").

78km - The gap from the breakaway back to the pack has dropped back down to 20’40". The seven men out front will soon be taking on the Passo del Vivione.

86km - The average speed after three hours of racing is still a very respectable 46.1km/h.

92km - The peloton containing the pink jersey and all the GC contenders is content to let this breakaway go. 21’40" is the latest split.

100km - Bad news for the riders. The rain has started again as they begin to hit the foothills of the Passo del Vivione.

108km - INTERMEDIATE SPRINT AT DARFO: 1. Efimkin, 2. Kiryienka.

112km - It’s an overcast day here in Northern Italy, but the rain that we had in the morning has gone, and the roads are drying up.

115km - Our seven leaders have now reached the food zone. They now lead the pack by 17’50". For a guy like Vladimir Karpets, this could be a real shot at a stage win. He’s not the most natural climber in the world, but is a big, strong guy, able to ride high tempo for long periods of time.

115km - After that comes the climb to Passo della Presolana, which is 4.8 kilometres long with an average gradient of 8.2, but reaching 16% in certain places. Last on the agenda is the Monte Pora, a 6.4 kilometre climb at an average of 6.8%, with the steepest bit at 11%.

118km - The day’s biggest climb, the Passo del Vivione is 19.8 kilometres long, with an average gradient of 6.9%. The last part of the climb is at an average of 9.5%, with one passage reaching a rather unpleasant 13%.

122km - Two of our riders are no longer with us, unfortunately. Slipstream’s Julian Dean didn’t start the stage, while Mikael Cherel (Franaise des Jeux) quit en route.

125km - A seven-man group broke away after one hour, comprised of Vladimir Karpets (Caisse d’Epargne), Mauro Facci (Quick Step), Vasil Kiryienka (Tinkoff), Kanstantin Siutsou (High Road), Alexandre Efimkin (Quick Step), Gabriele Missaglia (Diquigiovanni) and Nicki Sorensen (CSC). They have built up a rather handy 17’00" lead over the peloton. It was Karpets, Facci and Kiriyenka who initiated the attack after one hour of racing, before being joined by the others.

127km - Well, without much further ado, we join the race with the riders having completed the first two hours of racing like men possessed. Despite having a rather ominous-looking mountain looming ont he horizon, the peloton have completed the first two hours of racing at a rather savage 48.2 km/h!

12:40 - There’s one massive climb today - the Passo del Vivione - a first-category affair bringing the riders up to 1828 metres above sea level. After that, it’s all a bit up and down until the final dfew kilometres, which takes the riders up a shortish but steep climb up to Monte Pora.

12:35 - Well, cycling fans. It’s a big day today. The last mountain-top finish of the tour and the penultimate mountain stage. It’s a long one too. 228 kilometres long between Legnano and Monte Pora.

Ricco and Di Luca both ate into Contador’s lead who could struggle tomorrow. Great read below. Wonder should Ricco have attacked earlier and taken pink himself. Fascinating two stages left. Hope and believe Ricco will do enough tomorrow to take pink. Whether he has enough in the TT to retain it I am doubtful.

16:38 - Hats off to Andrew Tomkins and Sam Macdonald, both of whom went for Kiryienka. As for all those people who went for Karpets, well, blame race radio. Though to be fair, working out who’s who is never easy when you can’t see a thing.

16:36 - Well, that was absolutely thrilling, and what a day we have ahead of us tomorrow, when the Italians take the fight to Contador once again on the Mortirolo.

16:34 - It turns out Contador has done just enough to preserve his pink jersey! Ricco is now just four seconds back on the GC! Di Luca is now 21 seconds back, with Marzio Bruseghin 2’00" back. Gilberto Simoni is out of the picture now.

0km - Simoni crosses the line over 9 minutes back on Kiryienka now. He has had a terrible day.

0km - Contador’s group crosses the line now. Stopwatches at the ready! He comes in at the very back of the group, pain etched on his face. He’s around two minutes back on Di Luca! Has he done enough to retain the pink jersey? I think he just might.

0km - Now Ricco crosses the line 1’04" behind Di Luca. Don’t forget though, Di Luca will have a 12-second time bonus.

0km - It turns out Di Luca has already passed Steve Cummings, so Di Luca finished second! That’s a 12-second time bonus!!!

0km - Di Luca has gone past Efimkin, and passes under the flamme rouge! So he will finish either third or better, depending on where Cummings is, and pick up a time bonus!

0km - 1’22" is the latest gap between Di Luca and Ricco, I am told.

0km - My stopwatch is primed. Ricco is charging up the final few kilometres in pursuit of Di Luca. Both of them are after the pink jersey of Alberto Contador, who is further back down the road.

0km - Vasil Kiryienka stops the clock at 6h37’32" to take by far and away the biggest win of his career! As Duffers would say: Chapeau!

0.5km - Kiryienka moves into the final 500 metres and zips up his jersey ready for the finish.

1km - Kiryienka goes under the flamme rouge and is into the final kilometre!!! This will be a thoroughly deserved stage win.

1.5km - Contador is still desperately trying to keep his rhythm. He can still see Ricco ahead, but the Italian is slowly moving away.

2km - Riccardo Ricco is riding out a big lead!! He’s 41 seconds back on the general classification, and he could well be riding into pink today!

2.5km - Now Ricco attacks! AND CONTADOR IS IN TROUBLE! He can’t follow!!! Ricco is off, and he is flying away!!!

2.5km - Emanuele Sella attacks! What an attacking rider he is! Unfortunately for him, he is reeled back in immediately.

3km - Contador moves out from the wheel of Klden and picks up the pace! Is he feeling okay after all? Klden is dropped now.

3km - Kiryienka looks like he has this stage win wrapped up. Just as long as he doesn’t do anything silly with his gears again.

4km - Di Luca has a steely determination in his eyes, and has a 2’15" lead on the pink jersey.

4km - I don’t know about you, but I think this is shaping up to be a fantastically exciting stage!

4km - Contador seems to be having trouble following Klden’s pace. Meanwhyile, Ricco is looking very comfortbale sat on the shoulder of the Spaniard.

5km - Well, if Pellizotti can somehow maunch an attack (easier said than done, I know) then he has a very strong team-mate up the road who would be a huge help.

5km - Vincenzo Nibali has made it back to Di Luca.

6km - So, it’s still Kiryienka out front, followed by Cummings and Efimkin around a minute back. Sorensen is another 30 seconds back, with Siutsou yet further back.

7km - 2’10" is the gap!!! Di Luca has put 2’10" into Contador! Has he blown his bullets already, as Stephen Roche would say, or can he maintain this?

7km - Di Luca goes over the top of the Presolana now! Let’s time it back to the Contador group!

7km - Simoni has lost contact with the Contador group. Klden has whittled them down to just 8 riders now.

8km - Needless to say, the Tifosi are absolutely loving this attack from Di Luca.

8km - Kiryienka took the KOM points for going over the Passo della Presolana first, followed by Efimkin and Cummings. This is a fantastic effort from Steve Cummings.

8km - DI LUCA HAS MOVED TO 1’55" CLEAR OF THE PINK JERSEY GROUP! It remains to be seen whether he can maintain this tempo, but he has certainly put significant time into Contador’s group.

10km - Di Luca kicks on AND DROPS NIBALI!!! Danilo Di Luca has decided to throw down the gauntlet and take it to Contador!

11km - Savoldelli has given his all, and he’s dropped back now. It’s all up to Di Luca. He has Nibali in his wheel.

12km - As we suspected, Ermeti can’t follow Di Luca and Savoldelli’s pace, and has already been dropped.

13km - Efimkin can’t follow Kiryienka’s pace, he’s dropping back very gradually.

14km - We approach the six hour mark, and Savoldelli still hauling Di Luca along. Nibali is getting a nice tow here from his two compatriots.

15km - Kiryienka attacks under the 15km barrier!!! Efimkin responds, but Cummings and Siutsou have been left for dead.

17km - Missaglia has also dropped back to the Di Luca group.

18km - The leaders have reached the Passo della Presolana. An average of 8,2% for 4.8 kilometres, though some passages are at a nasty 16%

19km - Klden is setting a fierce pace on the front of this group, and they are gradually hauling Di Luca’s group back in. The gap is down to about 55 seconds now.

20km - Ruslan Ivanov has hauled Simoni back up to Contador’s group, and Denis Menchov has profited by sitting in the veteran’s wheel.

21km - Ermeti has dropped back from the breakaway to help out his LPR team-mates Di Luca and Savoldelli, though I’m not sure he’s going to be able to ride at the pace required by Di Luca.

24km - In the “gruppo maglia rosa”, it’s Klden, followed by Colom, followed by Contador, Ricco, and Pellizotti is on his wheel. Felix Cardenas is in there too, along with a few elite others. BUT SIMONI IS STRUGGLING! HE’S OFF THE BACK!

24km - Savoldelli is really burying himself for Di Luca. He will pull time out of anyone on the descents, but whether he can match the pace Klden will set for Contador on the climbs is another question.

27km - A nine-man group including Contador has definitely broken away from the peloton! It’s Antonio Colom and Andreas Klden who are pulling it along. They are, however, 1’25" down on Di Luca, Savoldelli and Nibali.

27km - Kiryienka has got his chain stuck! He tried to switch down into the bid sprocket at the back while also in the big ring at the front! That’s pretty careless. He did this in the mountain time-trial the other day! You think he’d learn.

28km - 1’12" is the gap!!! LPR will be pretty pleased with that. Incidentally, the leaders are still 13’00" out in front.

29km - Savoldelli leads DI Luca and Nibali under the 35km barrier now. I’ll keep an eye on my stopwatch to see when the peloton with Cnotador comes through.

29km - Vasil Kiryienka is looking pretty comfortable, chewing away on some sort of energy bar, seemingly unperturbed by the rain that’s teeming down.

29km - The pictures from the peloton are still pretty dire. It seems as if Contador and Astana are back at the head of the main pack. They clearly aren’t willing to risk too much on the descent. To be fair, they don’t really need to go nuts. Di Luca is over two minutes back, and Contador is a superior time-triallist.

30km - Efimkin has been caught, and our breakaway is back together again.

31km - Andrew Tomkins, take two: "KIRIYENKA! I did think Karpets but he’s pulled the rug from beneath that prediction! But i think its between Kiriyenka or Sorensen. The favourites will leave it until tomorrow to have a shake up on the Mortirolo, but Ricco can’t help himself, he will have a go at some point in final… "

32km - Sam McDonald from Gloucester: “My heart says Cummings but my head says Kiryenka.” I think that’s a pretty solid shout, to be honest.

32km - Efimkin has attacked from the breakaway! He’s going for the stage win, but he’s struggling to gain any significant time.

33km - Di Luca is struggling to keep with Savoldelli. He’s bnot called “the falcon” for nothing. He is flying round these hairpin bends at breakneck speed.

34km - Contador and Astana have now responded, and have broken away as well. There’s nine men in their group, I’ll bring you more on that when I know exactly who they all are.

36km - It’s NIBALI! The Liquigas rider is Vincenzo NIBALI, alongside Di Luca and Pellizotti. LPR are taking the fight to Contador.

37km - There’s been an attack from the peloton. Through the teeming rain, I can see two LPR rain capes, and one Liquigas. It seems like the nutter descender of all nutter descenders (to quote David Duffield) Paolo Savoldelli is leading Danilo Di Luca and Franco Pellizotti down the back of the Vivione.

40km - The gap is now 15’25" and it would take a minor miracle for this lot to be reeled in now. Kiryienka must fancy his chance on an uphill finish, as will Siutsou. It’s not really an ideal stage for Steve Cummings, but he has a big heart. Don’t discount him yet.

42km - The breakaway riders are coming back to their team cars one by one to take on board a few more drinks and gels and things before they hit the Passo della Presolana.

45km - Cummings has managed to fight his way back to the leaders, and we have pictures of the peloton once again! Hooray! They are around 16’00" back.

46km - Siutsou and Massiglia have managed to bridge the gap back to the leaders, though Cummings is still around 20 seconds back. We only have pictures of the breakaway at the moment. No pictures of the peloton, who are still battling through the nasty weather near the top of the Vivione.

47km - Our friend in Russia, Kieran Donnelly, is plumping for the old man. He is backing Simoni.

47km - What I can tell you is that the four men our front are extending their lead over Cummings, Missaglia and Siutsou on the descent.

48km - Apologies for the mix up earlier. I’m still relying on race radio, who themselves seem to be struggling.

48km - A recap then of who exactly is out front: Giairo ERMETI (LPR), Alexandre EFIMKIN (Quickstep), Vasil KIRIYENKA (Tinkoff) and Nicki SORENSEN (CSC) are our four leaders. About one minute behind them are: Steve CUMMINGS (Barloword), Kanstantin SIUTSOU (High Road) and Gabriele MISSAGLIA (Diquigiovanni).

50km - It was Vasil Kiriyenka who took the 10 KOM points at the top of the Vivione, followed by Efimkin (6) and Ermeti (4). Meanwhile, Cummings, Siutsou and Missalglia have been dropped on the descent, and have lost about a minute.

50km - For some reason or other, there is an eagle at the finish wearing a sponsor’s necklace. The bird is currently receiving pretty much exclusive coverage from most of Europe’s sports channels at the moment, as there isn’t much else to show.

51km - Well, the rubbish weather conditions has meant we don’t actually have TV images from the race right now, so it’s back to race radio for me.

51km - Our leaders have finally hit the summit of the Passo del Vivione, and are probably pretty glad of it! They know have a long descent (close to 21 km) which is pretty technical and twisty, and could be a little precarious in this rain.

51km - Bill Whitman’s prediction: “I think Simoni will have a shot tomorrow, Saturday’s stage with the Cima Coppi, but today I think will be Nikki Sorensen.”

52km - Ray McNeill, from Vermont, USA says: “Don’t cross out Constantin Suitsou. He may stay away and take the stage. He’s a fearsome climber, as we saw on brasstown bald in Georgia when, at the steepest part of the climb, he dropped Leipheimer and Lloyd like they were standing still and took the stage and the overall.” Good knowledge!

52km - Cosmin, all the way from Bucharest, reckons the breakaway will be caught: “Contador will win the stage, Ricco second.”

54km - Steve Green may be working for a rival(?) TV company, but he clearly knows Eurosport is number one (for cycling and timber sports, that is). Here’s his two cents: “It’s a day for the big lads in the mountains - Karpets and Cummings will attack from the break, and Cummings will take it! Wishful thinking…”

54km - Ben Green is in little doubt as to what will happen: “Obviously Steve Cummings will attack his breakaway companions with 2km to go, and win by about 20 seconds…”

54km - Our seven leaders are now 1 kilometre from the top of the Vivione, and the weather is foul.

55km - Andy Unwin has also backed “big Vlad”, hoping the Russian will score him some fantasy points, but alas, he ain’t there.

55km - Daniele Pietropolli (LPR Brakes) and Alessandro Vanotti (Liquigas) try to escape from the peloton, but they are immediately reeled back in. Astana are keeping a pretty respectable pace.

56km - Stig, from Tromso says: “Simoni. His last stage win in his career.”

55km - Obviously that one was sent in before we realised race radio was under the charge of a clearly misguided/shortsighted individual. To be fair to Ryan, if Karpets was in there, I’d back him too.

56km - Right, here’s a few of your thoughts. Ryan from Peterborough reckons: “Karpets will win the stage, which is good for his Fantasy Team ‘Ullrich’s Revenge.’ However the main race will be behind about 2-5 minutes behind them. Menchov, Di Luca, Contador and Ricco in the chasing group…As Menchov and Di Luca plod along, Ricco will attack - Contador chases but just doesn’t have the juice and Ricco rolls in in second places behind Karpets.”

57km - The rain really is beginning to come down now. All the riders have their rain jackets on now. The gap seems to have stabilised at around 20 minutes.

60km - It’s Astana who are keeping the pace at the front of the peloton, all cosy in their rain jackets. Contador is about 7 riders back.

62km - Missiglia is beginning to suffer in the breakaway. He can’t follow this pace being set by Kiriyenka, who is admittedly a very fine climber.

67km - Right cycling fans, it’s prediction time. Who is going to win the stage? Will the breakaway stay away? Will Ricco take any time out of Contador? Don your Nostradamus caps and send your predictions to mickfitz@blueyonder.co.uk - same as yesterday.

67km - The breakaway’s advantage has been reduced to 19’40".

71km - I suppose that also reveals that I’m not actually sat on the back of a moped with a laptop tapping away furiously as events unfolded in front of my very eyes, racing up and down between the breakaway and the peloton. Though that was probably fairly obvious.

72km - Rest assured people that I won’t be depending on these trained chimps at race radio for much longer. In five minutes we get TV pictures, and all will be well again in the world.

74km - Err…it appears race radio have got their knickers in a twist. I was informed (our TV feed hasn’t come through yet) that Quickstep’s Mauro Facci was in the breakaway - which isn’t the case. It turns out, the mystery man in the breakaway is none other than our very own Steve “Jumbo” Cummings!!! It also appears that it’s not Vladimir Karpets in there, but Lampre’s Giairo Ermeti. Quite how you could get those two confused is beyond me.

76km - In terms of the battle for the pink jersey, Alberto Contador (Astana) is still the hot favourite. Riccardo Ricco (Saunier Duval) is 41" back in 2nd place, Gilberto Simoni (Diquigiovanni) is 1’21" back in third, while Marzio Bruseghin (Lampre) is 4th at 2’00" and Franco Pellizotti (Liquigas) fifth at 2’05".

77km - Needless to say, none of the escapees are a threat on the general classement. Here’s where they lie: Vladimir Karpets (32nd at 32’33"), Nicki Sorensen (34th at 33’25"), Kanstantsin Siutsou (35th at 37’45"), Vasil Kiryienka (45th at 45’30"), Gabriele Missaglia (77th at 1h34’18"), Alexandre Efimkin (90th at 1h44’28") and Mauro Facci (121st at 2h18’04").

78km - The gap from the breakaway back to the pack has dropped back down to 20’40". The seven men out front will soon be taking on the Passo del Vivione.

86km - The average speed after three hours of racing is still a very respectable 46.1km/h.

92km - The peloton containing the pink jersey and all the GC contenders is content to let this breakaway go. 21’40" is the latest split.

100km - Bad news for the riders. The rain has started again as they begin to hit the foothills of the Passo del Vivione.

108km - INTERMEDIATE SPRINT AT DARFO: 1. Efimkin, 2. Kiryienka.

112km - It’s an overcast day here in Northern Italy, but the rain that we had in the morning has gone, and the roads are drying up.

115km - Our seven leaders have now reached the food zone. They now lead the pack by 17’50". For a guy like Vladimir Karpets, this could be a real shot at a stage win. He’s not the most natural climber in the world, but is a big, strong guy, able to ride high tempo for long periods of time.

115km - After that comes the climb to Passo della Presolana, which is 4.8 kilometres long with an average gradient of 8.2, but reaching 16% in certain places. Last on the agenda is the Monte Pora, a 6.4 kilometre climb at an average of 6.8%, with the steepest bit at 11%.

118km - The day’s biggest climb, the Passo del Vivione is 19.8 kilometres long, with an average gradient of 6.9%. The last part of the climb is at an average of 9.5%, with one passage reaching a rather unpleasant 13%.

122km - Two of our riders are no longer with us, unfortunately. Slipstream’s Julian Dean didn’t start the stage, while Mikael Cherel (Franaise des Jeux) quit en route.

125km - A seven-man group broke away after one hour, comprised of Vladimir Karpets (Caisse d’Epargne), Mauro Facci (Quick Step), Vasil Kiryienka (Tinkoff), Kanstantin Siutsou (High Road), Alexandre Efimkin (Quick Step), Gabriele Missaglia (Diquigiovanni) and Nicki Sorensen (CSC). They have built up a rather handy 17’00" lead over the peloton. It was Karpets, Facci and Kiriyenka who initiated the attack after one hour of racing, before being joined by the others.

127km - Well, without much further ado, we join the race with the riders having completed the first two hours of racing like men possessed. Despite having a rather ominous-looking mountain looming ont he horizon, the peloton have completed the first two hours of racing at a rather savage 48.2 km/h!

12:40 - There’s one massive climb today - the Passo del Vivione - a first-category affair bringing the riders up to 1828 metres above sea level. After that, it’s all a bit up and down until the final dfew kilometres, which takes the riders up a shortish but steep climb up to Monte Pora.

12:35 - Well, cycling fans. It’s a big day today. The last mountain-top finish of the tour and the penultimate mountain stage. It’s a long one too. 228 kilometres long between Legnano and Monte Pora.

Great stuff Larry. Delighted with that, as you say it could have been even better but I suppose Ricco was letting Kloeden do the work so he got a good rest and then obviously judged when he thought Contador was tiring himself. Brilliantly setup now for the last two stages.