Great Footballing Teams and Club Sides

That Arsenal team would destroy the current Liverpool side.

The 1987-88 Liverpool team unjustly banned from Europe would have wiped the floor with any continental opposition.

John Barnes was the reason I fell in love with soccer ball.

Anyone watch the 89 doc on Sky?

It’s a decent watch … the ending still kills me 30 years later. We lost our under 11 league that night and got home for the second half on a balmy summer’s night. Stood there with socks and shinguards still on I couldnt comprehend how Arsenal did it … I’ve said it before, but a neigbour up the road locked his wife kids out in rage.

1 Like

In my time watching football it’s no contest

3 Likes

They were banned because they were murderers.

1 Like

What age are you?

Has anyone been watching any of those Euro 96 games they are showing on ITV? Amazing how far the game has come

Fallen you mean.

Football was dreadful in the 90s .

The game was played at a walking pace, they’d be eaten alive today

1 Like

Goalkeeping was also very poor.

Yeah, the game was played then.

It wasn’t just sprinters. You actually needed to be able to play.

That is a silly argument . If they were playing today they would benefit from modern sports science and the fitness argument doesn’t hold . The real issue is what players do with the ball

1 Like

Its easier to do things on the ball when there isn’t somebody sprinting at you. People should actually watch back some of these games rather than just being nostalgic, the game is a far better spectacle now

International soccer has nearly always been poor .

The Europeans were afraid of Liverpool’s dominance. The 87-88 team would have wiped the floor with anything Italy had. Sure years later AC Milan’s greatest side shat their togs against a Liverpool team that relied on Biscan and Mellor to get to the final. The red jersey scares them. In fairness it scared them in Heysel too and they needed a dodgy penalty to win.

Juventus celebrating that win while fans lay dead sums up Italy.

You do realise the game was a lot more physical and dirty back then .

Liverpool fans murdered 40 innocents.

1 Like

Liverpool choked with finish line in sight. The pressure was too much for them. Simple as that. Gary Ablett was the only one of them who stepped up on the night.