Great Live versions

What a song to release after all these years.

Blur - The Narcissist

3 Likes

Just listening to a few REM tunes, were they totally underrated or just not loved.

1 Like

Definitely not underrated anyway. I’d have said they had a tribal following.

1 Like

Are they a little forgotten?

1 Like

They were exceptional, still so many top tunes.

I wouldn’t say so. Huge upsurge in interest again over their appearances in The Bear.
I think because they’re no longer a going concern, and I think it’s so unlikely they will play again, maybe they’re out of the public eye a bit but they were (are) a massive band, who had 20 years of playing big outdoor shows. One of the biggest bands in the world from 1991 to 2011

Maybe forgotten by those who never saw them. A brilliant band. I think I saw them in Marley Park in the early 00’s and I remember being politely told that those around me had paid big money to hear Michael Stipe sing and not me

1 Like

My first big gig (1999) was R.E.M. My second big was about ten days later. It was R.E.M.

1 Like

Incredible longevity defines REM for me.

Flawless pretty much from 1982 to 1992 (nine albums!)

Then a slight dip albeit with some of their best songs until 2001 (4 albums) and a bit of a fall off a cliff with Around the Sun in 2004.

Finally a small recovery with their last two albums finishing in 2011.

1 Like

Typical @Mac - making the gig all about himself.

6 Likes

@Fagan_ODowd you were hardly there?

No I saw them in the Savoy Bingo Hall in Waterford the following night. Probably the gig I remember most fondly. James were the support.

1 Like

Wow.

Most fondly out of all gigs you’ve seen?

What was so good about it?

Well
A. It was the Smiths playing in my home town.
B. The ridiculousness of them playing a bingo hall
C. They were the most exciting and different band on the planet at the time.
D. They played all the hits (as they were at the time)

E. It was a truly wild energetic performance. It was the era when Morrissey sang with daffodils in his arsepocket and danced awkwardly.
F. I’ve dined out on it for nearly 40 years since.

7 Likes

:clap:

Fantastic stuff.

1 Like

https://www.rte.ie/culture/2023/0818/1399362-how-the-smiths-irish-tour-turned-incendiary-documentary-on-one/

1 Like

My 7 year old (8 tomorrow) is absolutely obsessed with post Malone. An artist who had largely passed me by … I listened to hours and hours of postie in the car on holiday recently …a great man

This is a masterpiece

Definitely posted this somewhere here before but absolutely tremendous use of it in the excellent The Bear

Yeah, think that’s what is good about the soundtrack to it, the songs really fit the scenes. They are obviously a big REM and Eddie Vedder fans.

1 Like