Hearts v Celtic - Wednesday night

McCourt was involved this season more than any other and while he got injured at a couple of important times he still had a fairly significant role. I doubt heā€™ll ever become a nailed-down first team starter but Iā€™d expect him to be retained and to be used reasonably frequently.

Thoughts on team selection tonight, bhoys? We need the win to take it to the last day. Kilmarnock arenā€™t very good and Iā€™d expect the huns to beat them 47 times out of 49 but what if Sunday is one of the other 2 occasions? Something strange may happen like Bougherra colliding with McGregor and leaving some cunt to tap the ball into an empty net or someone with a Fenian type surname making himself a hero by scoring a 30-yard rocket for Killie - Clancy or Kelly perhaps?

Stokes and Samaras are available having been suspended on Sunday but he might be tempted to retain Murphy - he battled well enough on Sunday and improved as the game progressed. I think Iā€™d leave Forrest out but I donā€™t want to see Maloney on the team sheet in a wide midfield role. Not a whole lot of options and not sure if heā€™d fancy chucking McCourt in at Tynecastle. I donā€™t know if Izzy is hamstrung or if taking him off on Sunday was a precaution. Centre of midfield will need to be on their games and I wonder would he be tempted to play Mulgrew in midfield (like at Ibrox at New Yearā€™s) with maybe Commons switching wings. Weā€™d be more compact rather than that shitty 4-2-4 with out and out wingers thatā€™s cost us in too many games. This is the type of game that Lennon seems to favour Sammy for too.

Forster,
Wilson, Rogne, Maj, Izzy,
Commons, Brown, Ki, Mulgrew,
Hooper, Murphy/Stokes.

Absolutely odd that Zaliukas thing from the weekend but, if I was betting, I reckon theyā€™d only love to formally end Celticā€™s title chances and theyā€™ll be right up for it.

Had written a post here a few minutes ago but seem to have lost it. Anyway my thoughts in summary format this time:

• Agree with the back 5
  • I like Forrest. Heā€™s direct. Heā€™d give Templeton something to think about defensively. Heā€™s never far from scoring. I think he gives good balance with Commons so Iā€™d start him.
  • I donā€™t like changing teams around based on opposition and I donā€™t think Hearts should be influencing our selection too much. If weā€™re not good enough we may as well find out instead of hding players when tough fixtures come around
  • Iā€™m a big fan of Stokes & Hooper together. Play them.

I donā€™t know Rocko. Heā€™s got lovely skill and all and can give you the odd moment of genius against the likes of St. Mirren or Falkirk etc but overall his contribution just isnā€™t enough. He would need to be playing regular first team football to have even a sniff of getting to the required level of fitness but he wonā€™t get that at Celtic barring injuries to others, with Commons having that position nailed down now. I canā€™t remember the last time I thought ā€œyeah, McCourt did wellā€ when heā€™s come on. He just doesnā€™t have the athleticism required Iā€™m afraid.

It seems that weā€™ve given Sammy a contract extension solely to play in away games at Ibrox and Tynecastle. :lol:

Other surprises too. Loovens comes back in out of the blue and heā€™s pushed Mulgrew into midfield, which I mooted earlier.

Celtic XI:
Forster;
Wilson, Majstorovic, Loovens, Izaguirre;
Commons, Brown, Ki, Mulgrew;
Samaras & Hooper.

Celtic bench: Zaluska, Rogne, Cha, Forrest, Stokes, Maloney & Murphy.

I do like Lennon but donā€™t understand that. Itā€™s only fucking Hearts. At least they have a reasonable pitch. We should be going there to pass those fuckers out of the game, not to look for a battle.

Itā€™s not that Sammy doesnā€™t deserve a game but we need goals and drop one of our two goalscorers. We know Loovens isnā€™t good enough. It was Tynecastle that cost him his starting place last time, why drop Rogne so?

Not as worried by Mulgrew as he did well when picked in midfield but the Huns hammered these fuckers with their usual team and weā€™re inventing solutions to play them.

Thatā€™s a shocking team IMO.

We donā€™t even have McCourt on the bench if things arenā€™t going well, instead we have that utter shitebag Maloney there. The front two is bemusing to say the least, Hooper has done nothing lately and Samaras is Samaras. Would have liked to have seen Stokes and Murphy there tonight instead. Would have also given Juarez a crack in the middle of the pitch and played Brown on the right where he is far more effective. As for Loovens at centre backā€¦baffling.

A couple of really questionable selections all right. I too donā€™t think we need to have specific ā€˜awayā€™ tactics and I believe we should set up to focus mainly on our strengths rather than placing overdue consideration on negating them. Stokes and Hooper destroyed Hearts in the 4-0 game at Celtic Park in January and I think they should have been paired together. Not sure where the Loovens call came from, as has been said.

As I suggested earlier on this thread one of the reasons weā€™re not winning the league is because we havenā€™t had a settled side this season. Thatā€™s understandable in Lennonā€™s first season, particularly with the squad he inherited.

But, it doesnā€™t explain dropping Stokes when he is playing as well as ever. It doesnā€™t explain bringing Loovens in from nowhere. And it doesnā€™t explain Maloney being immune to dropping out of contention when his form goes shite.

That team should still be good enough to win at Tynecastle but it reinforces the idea that weā€™re a bit frightened of Hearts. Theyā€™re in awful form, theyā€™d doubtless enjoy getting a result tonight, but that should be all the motivation we need to destroy them. We can and should be trying to do that with inventive football and controlling the ball.

Surely Juarez is going to be sold in the summer? Ā£4m worth, two first choice central midfielders out and heā€™s not even on the bench.

Donā€™t think anyone understands whatā€™s going on with Juarez. Started well, had one or two off-field issues, was poor against the huns and has disappeared from sight since. Canā€™t afford to have him not playing so I expect heā€™ll be moved on alright. I think heā€™s a decent player though, so itā€™s a pity he hasnā€™t had a chance but we donā€™t really know the full reasons why I expect.

As for McCourt Sid - well he did come on last week (albeit as a last throw of the dice) so heā€™s still trusted to try and change a game. I think thatā€™s his general brief to be honest. Heā€™ll be used more to change the pace of a game and I donā€™t think thatā€™s necessarily a problem because he has delivered from that role. He did start a few games in a row around Christmas though, including one excellent performance at Ibrox which proved he is capable of 90 minutes against the best this league has to offer.

A very slack start by Samaras, Hooper looking much sharper though.

Fans fantastic.

Yas!

Well done Commons, cool finish by Hooper.

Lovely play, composure and pass by Commons and a neat finish by Hooper. :clap:

Cracking start. Commons has been really lively. Nice tidy finish from Hooper too.

Ian Black is some thug. Horrible bastard.

Ah this is wonderful from the travelling support. Magnificent setlist so far.

Really bossing the game now but Sammy not having much luck with his first touch and Mulgrew has been fairly quiet.

Brown complaining to Wilson about the cutback there! He may want to take a look at his disgraceful effort to play Commons in. Heā€™s playing well but that sort if sloppiness is unforgiveable.

Really should have made it 2-0 there. Brown has started very well but that was a very unsympathetic pass to Commons. Unlucky from the rebound off the post then.

Brilliant.

The IRA will set them free. :clap: