Help! Im 36 & don't know what to do!

Is it? Think there is good money in transatlantic and long haul flights but you have to have a decent amount of experience/hours behind you before you get to that level. It is nothing hectic for short haul stuff, a first officer with the likes of Ryanair or easyjet would be on around £40-£45k a year.

Considering the prestige and money that used to be attached to it that is a fair fall from grace

60 I heard. Not bad for doing fuck all.
As an aside, if van drivers are making 40k, Ireland is fucked.

If I had €20k to invest for new career you would be much better off buying a couple of drones and start a company inspecting wind turbines or taking aerial videos than training to be a pilot.

Failing that get into 3d printing or automation

2 Likes

I know a lad who has done something along these lines. It’s going pretty well apparently.

What would €20k get you in 3D printing? Is that not serious wedge?

I know a fella who’d do a lovely logo for 20k.

Once you’ve a decent logo everything else usually falls into place.

5 Likes

I honestly dont know how a decent one would set you back. You may not necessarily need to buy one, doubt there are too many people with knowledge about them about, investing €20k in certification and other professional qualifications related to 3d printing or automation would lead to quicker rewards and career prospects than being a first officer trying to get miles under your belt on a zero hour contract with Ryanair.

Nothing like it after a feed of porter.

1 Like

I know ireland is trying to make itself a hub for this through some innovation programme but I think it’s a massive investment …

Irish innovation programme = no tax lads. :slight_smile:

It will fall under R&D pal. .they can’t give the money away…we’re so far down the pile on R&D…

Lads,

Collectively, as a unit, we have come up with the following

Food stall
Truck Driver
Teacher
Pilot
3D Designer
Drones Operative

Its not great now is it? Is life really that shit?

Backinatracksuit - I’ll tell you a good one about the Blonde Bomber. I used to work 8 to 12 Saturday and Sunday mornings @ 3 punts an hour, they used to pay by cheque and the cheques were done early in the week, tuesday or wednesday, but if whiskers asked you to do any extra aul odd job at the weekend he would pay in cash no questions asked. Id have the height of respect for the man.

Rain - Im getting out. I’l have her out by August bank holiday weekend.

Fitzy - I am interested in History, Politics, Sport, Acting, Chess & Women. I need a new woman. New women are just the best game in the world. Any fellah that married young Id shake his hand, fair play, you found love within 20km of home, how lucky! why do you behave the way you do on stags, trips abroad etc etc

Brimmer Bradley - No Patio ???

Ebeeneezer Scrooge & mickee are pricks.

Balbec is cool. cool out.

2 Likes

@mrceltic81 is @anon61956325

3 Likes

Wants to fuck Princess out already? No, I’d say it’s @Bandage. He’s looking for a new driver.

A friend of mine is a pilot for Aer Lingus, good career. You wouldn’t train yourself to be a jet aircraft pilot though, not for 20k anyway, and if you did you’d have no guarantee of a job.

Given the cerebral nature of your interests, I suggest something in education

And that’s only my internet persona!!!

3 Likes

It is indeed.

The lad is having an early mid life crisis, I simply suggested training to be a pilot out foreign because it’d be fucking cool, not for him to be flying for Ryanair on a zero hours contract. He may never use it, or he could get unbelievably lucky and end up being a private pilot for some billionaire. There is a fella living around clouncagh/Ballingarry direction who does a bit of piloting for jp. He also does freelance work and for example was drafted in by the coast guard on occasions, and also the time there were all the forest fires in mayo and Galway last year. Its not as if training as a pilot means training as a fucking trans Atlantic aer Lingus pilot or a Ryanair pilot. It’d be class, off travelling the world and on your way spend a stint getting your pilot license.

Or join the Army Air Corps? Anything with flying will do

You mentioned that you’re currently renting.
If you’re planning on taking out a mortgage I’d suggest applying when you’re in gainful employment. Banks really dislike newly self employed applicants.