Home brewing beer

That sounds like a lovely experimentation.

1 Like

You won’t know whether it worked until it’s done.

Bit of a clusterfuck at the bottling plant yesterday. I managed to break the seal on my rack siphon and in addition to creating a massive disturbance in the wort, which lead to unhelpful oxygenation of the mix, I had to siphon by mouth which again raises the possibility of contamination of the beer. Anyway I’m in the lap of the Gods now. I also upped the priming sugar amount taking account of @Julio_Geordio s comment about the flatness of the beer, which I suspect is the same mix. It has carbonated anyway. The PET bottles tell me that.

Separately yesterday I made the first batch of elderflower champagne of the year. 8 litres of it. Hopefully without incident though yeast is as always, a cruel mistress

4 Likes

I’ve a pilsner mix in the press raring to go. I must get cracking on it

Having the first bottle of this a week after bottling. Probably a little early to rush to judgment. But so far so good. A complex little bottle well carbonated. Very drinkable.

5 Likes

Drink it in man

New brew ready for sampling. Learning lessons with each brew hopefully. This one probably has another week to go to be 100%, but its nice and i can tell already its not as strong as the last few thank fuck

Cc @Fagan_ODowd

8 Likes

Make yourself a batch of Belgian Saison and thank me with 6 bottles.

Wouldnt be a fan of belgian stuff. I’m more of a hops man.

I’ve 23 litres of this stuff now for about €25 of cost. Fuck you minimum pricing laws

6 Likes

Winning.

1 Like

Julio sticking it to Paschal Donohoe and his zany ideas…*

• May not have been Paschal’s idea at all. Does he ever have any of his own I hear you muse…….

What is it mate, like a summer ale? Looks delicious

A little subtle for my tastes, I like more of a hoppy bang, but very nice and light. The kind of IPA someone who doesn’t like IPA would be happy getting

1 Like

Sound. Can you recommend a starter kit?

Seems like a great waste of my Sundays.

I have something like this but even more basic, all you need is this, a kit like the one I posted above and bottles. Fagan O’Dowd just uses ordinary plastic bottles, I bought swing top bottles and I reuse them. Some people buy something like Grolsh which comes in the swing tops and you get bonus of more beer.
Probably cost you €125 or so for the first brew, then it’s about €20-€40 a brew kit after that. Depending on which one you want.

All the processes are slightly different but they come with instructions.

Basically fuck it all in a bucket at the start.
Maybe add hops at some stage if it’s beer etc.
Bottle it after a while.
Then leave it to settle for a few weeks.
Drink

The only thing that takes any length of time is the bottling which can be a pain in the hole. But still a half an hour max especially if someone gives you a hand.

It’s a piece of piss really.

I would recommend getting a few 2 litre bottles to speed the bottling process up and then only crack them open when you have a few over or having a pour on yourself.

It’s a bit of a hobby anyway. And you get beer which is always good.

You can go into all sorts of levels after that, spending all sorts of money, but the bucket does me fine

3 Likes

Do you need to put it in a hot press ?

This job would be the bidniz

Somewhere warm alright. I put it in the hotpress. It can’t fall below 20, which is a challenge in the winter

1 Like

Two thirty litre buckets in the hot press

I better upgrade the tumble dryer

1 Like

Having one of the last bottles of this. Lovely stuff.

5 Likes