House of Commons Vote

Is this Ireland’s greatest victory over the crown since the battle of the ford of the Biscuit’s?

No. Stuttgart 88 was better

But the important thing is: will it count for betting purposes?

1 Like

That I dont know Sid. If he pulls the vote, I presume you’ll get your money back

Be great if Johnson was Letwin an irrelevant vote and then got trounced in the real one

It’d be like when Galway beat Kilkenny in 2012 with the safety net under them but Brian Cody’s legendary and beloved Kilkenny team rebounded to trounce them when it really mattered

1 Like

BJ to lose out by less than 10 votes, extension to be requested for General Election.

Hung parliament with the DUP, Labour and Lib Dems share power and run another referendum.

That KK team won all irelands on merit too

Boris +8

It’s still a dangerous one. The EU handed Boris back a lot of high value cards with the deal. He can now approach a general election from two different angles. If per chance he gets the deal through, he can go to the country as “,the man who sorted it” zIf he fails he will blame the HOC. I’d say hes got a great shout of winning a GE. The Letwin amendment just means that if he gets the deal through, he is forced to make sure it happens and cant go looking for a way out.
Anyway look on the bright side. The DUP are seething for awhile. That’s good enough for me

2 Likes

Just because Boris may win the war does not mean he will win the peace

**[quote=“Lazarus, post:30, topic:29325, full:true”]
Just because Boris may win the war does not mean he will win the peace
[/quote]

I think it’s a damning indictment of British politics in that its quite obvious the majority of the HOC wouldn’t trust Boris as far as they’d spit him and have to try and micro manage him at every opportunity

It’s the opposite of a damning indictment. Boris cannot be trusted to tie his own shoelace, just ask poor Arlene. The HOC are 100% right to be wary of him

1 Like

Well it is damning if you look at the way the opposition over here let FG plough on more or less uninterrupted for the last 3 years regarding Brexit.

If he gets a deal through he wins an election, all the Brexit party votes come back onside and Labour descends into bitter infighting and loses a lot of votes to the Lib Dems

If he doesn’t he’s in trouble

As I said, time and space are the enemy of this deal and the Letiwn amendment could well provide the space for it to fail

The longer it goes on without a vote, the more the chances of it failing

He’s taken the level playing field out of the withdrawal agreement and put it into the non-binding political declaration

He’s speaking out one side of his mouth to the ERG and another to the Labour leavers

With time and space, the more chance that strategy has of unravelling and the more the potential of no deal and the realisation that it is just kicking the can down the road to an endless cycle of parliamentary chaos and battles over extensions to a transition period becomes apparent

Time and space also give the chance of it turning into an effective parliamentary referendum on the very nature of the future of British society - and the longer it goes on, the more chance this deal has of coming to represent deregulation, destruction of the welfare state, particularly the NHS, and destruction of workers’ rights

If that happens, it could be toast

Hammond looks to be out, and he is an influential voice who could carry people with him

The hard Brexiteers would also look to put the kibosh on it from the other side

Bouncing it through at short notice on a wave of euphoria is by far Johnson’s best chance

I’m not very happy with the NI provisions though I do feel it is very unlikely that they will be triggered

But they do still promote uncertainty just by their existence

The last few years have shown that weird stuff can happen in politics and the point is that legally, they can again as regards a hard border if the cards fall a certain way

1 Like

Either way Sid, the whole thing is just a load of shite

Noted intellectual Michael van Gerwen got it spot on when he called it Brexshit

2 Likes

It happened his hero. Labour would be better off to just let Brexit go and fight the election on domestic policy issues.

That’s true our political class behaved like grown ups and supported the Government apart from the odd grenade thrown in from the likes of Dimmy Tooley

The simple fact that there’s an end in sight will be enough to get it done…

I find myself nodding in agreement with your astute political analysis