Hurling League 2018

That section of pitch is heavily shaded so doesnt get half the drying of other side. Still though. That should have been accounted for. The moat important fucking piece of the equation.

I could set my spuds on that pitch.

Dreadful assault by Harnedy there on Coughlan. Cork tend to lose their discipline against Waterford.

3 Likes

I think Barry Coughlan deserves a little bit of it in truth as he is a pathetic fcuker who is a nasty piece of work. You reap what you sow.

1 Like

Thought we were great today. We’re adding little pieces to the jigsaw all the time.

Another solid outing in the corner for Conor Firman (Podge Collins wasn’t a factor).

Paudie Foley bookended the game with the opening and closing points for us despite playing the Fitzgibbon Cup final yesterday. Really impressive display.

Kevin Foley had a powerful second half.

Rory O’Connor came on at half time after Lee’s chinjury and knocked over 3 points from play from centre forward and a 65, and was generally top class.

Then our still young but more experienced lads led from the front.

3 long range pointed frees from Fanning with the wind after half time. Chin pointed the frees and 65s in the first half too. For once - no issues with freetaking.

Liam Ryan and Matthew O’Hanlon locked down the centre in the second half. Caught some great high ball and relieved the pressure.

Shaun Murphy was much more decisive and sure of touch as sweeper today (though had one late duff touch from which they scored a point).

Jack O’Connor won 7 clean puck outs in the first half and was absolutely excellent. Tuohy made a great save from him in the second half too.

McDonald played with real forcefulness and looked a handful. He properly got stuck in and won a lot of ball.

Still more to come from a few players and lads coming back from injury. Hopefully Rory O’Connor will be our game changer and leave more space for Chin, McDonald, Dunne et al.

Going from 7-4 behind to 20-13 ahead reflected our general dominance. Disappointing to concede the late goal from the free (nice curved strike by Duggan) but no harm done.

That’s Division 1A survival secured before the last game in a group where we will have 3 away games so all positive.

All in all, it’s great to be back dining at the top table after years of playing the likes of Galway, Laois and Limerick in the second tier.

10 Likes

Can Clare take positives

We can take it handy against Kilkenny next game.
Give a few players a game off.
Good to hear free taking not an issue today.
Any news on what Chins injury is?
Don’t want to overplay Rory O Connor this time of year.
Great days

The league is irrelevant.

Someone said hand, but I don’t know. Teams are starting to give him a bit of treatment as his profile soars. The young lad marking him today wasn’t even facing the ball for most of the game. Just clambering all over him before the ball had arrived into their patch most of the time.

Two wins from 2 games in the “new” Pairc Ui Chaoimh.

Ye are really turning it into a fortress.

1 Like

The Limerick v Wexford all Ireland final will end this forum.

3 Likes

Myself, a guy who looks like Emre Can and a chap with a huge forehead are under attack from Irish language zealots on twitter for questioning TG4’s policy to show 1 live and 2 deferred games every week. As opposed to engaging with GAA as rights holder and staggering starting time to show 2 live games at, say, 1.15 and 3.

I see on twitter that Faythe Harriers allowed Clare to use their facilities today. Lovely gesture from the Wexford town side.

1 Like

What way did the Clare backs line up against the Wexford forwards? Assume Morey was sweeper

Browne and Cleary picked up Morris and Dunne inside and Morey was sweeper alright. McCarthy was right half back on Chin, McInerney centre back on McDonald and O’Malley left half back on Jack O’Connor.

As mentioned, O’Connor cleanly caught 6 puck outs above O’Malley before they switched him with Malone. Thought one of the midfielders or Deasy should have dropped back to at least stand in front of the pair of them.

McDonald was left half forward for the second half and Browne picked him up for most of it. Rory O’Connor came on centre forward and was excellent.

1 Like

You could see there was no love lost between the Clare managers and Davy by the full time handshake. Gerry O’Connor did a real Derek McGrath “look the other way and barely grasp the hand before pulling it away again”.

There seemed to be some scrape behind me near full time. Garda Paddy Casey, famously heavily involved in the Battle of Wexford Park in 2001 during the Junior A county football final between town rivals Sarsfields and Clonard, was demanding that an old lady from Clare give him her name and address. She was stepping briskly over the stand benches to get away from him as he pursued. He was shouting at her that she couldn’t refuse to speak to him as she was the nearest person to the “incident” and he needed to get a statement from her. Her, presumably, husband was asking Garda Casey if he would just leave it alone as they wanted to head home but the Garda was taking no prisoners - he just wanted her details.

2 Likes

Really dirty and very dangerous .

I said I saw him holding his hand before half time but heard since it was a quad injury. Presumably just a precaution. Davy indicated on rte radio that he’d use next week to try out a few other lads.

1 Like

Is it Waterford v kk in the relegation playoff?

I don’t think so Joe. Kilkenny now have four points.

1 Like