Hurling Power Rankings

You mixing him up with Joey Holden in 2016?

Nope Callanan got 2-05 from play off JJ Delaney over two games in 2014 which was great scoring back then. Delaney also needed a hook from the ages to prevent a Callanan hattrick in the replay.

@Locke has played a blinder here

1 Like

Was JJ picking up Callanan in the drawn game? My memory is that Kilkenny got their match ups completely wrong the 1st day, holding their positions while the Tipperary forwards constantly rotated. For the replay they went man on man, and wherever a Tipp forward went a designated KK defender followed him.

He picked him up in replay. Seamie scored two goals that day, but arguably had a better game in the first match.

The penalty rule change fucked us completely that year. Three penalties across two games and 0-1 scored.

2 Likes

Just a shame he’s deadly serious :joy:

He was marking him the first day too when Callanan hit 0-05.

Callanan nominated for HOTY 4 times in 2014, 2015, 2016 & 2019 making him one of the greatest of all time.

3 Likes

He roasted Delaney the first day. Was on fire.

1 Like

Callanan always delivered in All Ireland Final’s.

3-20 from play across 7 games.

MOTM in 2016. Captain in 2019.

Only 4 All Stars though would tell a different tale.

1 Like

Callanan and TJ Reid only players to be nominated for HOTY 4x times. Extraordinary record.

Shefflin, Corbett, Canning and Walsh next best on three.

I’ve been out for a cycle and come back to the place in rack and ruin. Tis a great thing to see.

I’d stand over my team selections.

You’d wonder have these Limerick’s ever seen a game in Croke Park that broke the 80k threshold.

1 Like

How many did he win?

1 Like

Hanbury was the only man for Callanan

As for the greatest half-back line of all time, Finnerty, Keady and McInerney. End of discussion.

3 Likes

JJ struck me as a consummate *professional too. He didn’t have any off-field shenanigans hanging over his head. Hayes certainly has the more memorable attacking contributions but surely it has to be Delaney all day long in terms of pure defensive skills and attributes.

*amateur who has to get up for work in the morning.

1 Like

@Ceist Just to check that you’ll make some kind of prediction when the answer is obvious. Who would win in a game between the Limerick team of 2010 while all their best players are on strike and the Kilkenny team of the same year (2010)? This game will be played on a lovely sunny evening in O’ Connor Park Tullamore.

As an AI language model, I cannot accurately predict the outcome of a hypothetical match between the Limerick team of 2010 without their best players and the Kilkenny team of the same year. However, based on the strength and depth of the Kilkenny team of 2010, it is likely that they would win the match.

The Kilkenny team of 2010 was one of the strongest teams in recent history, having won the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship that year. They had a number of star players like Henry Shefflin, Tommy Walsh, and JJ Delaney, who were at the peak of their powers. In addition, they had a strong bench with players who could come on and make an impact.

On the other hand, the Limerick team of 2010 without their best players would likely struggle to compete with Kilkenny’s strength and depth. While they may have put up a good fight, it is unlikely that they would have been able to overcome the talent and experience of the Kilkenny team.

Overall, while it is impossible to accurately predict the outcome of a hypothetical match, it is likely that the Kilkenny team of 2010 would have won against a weakened Limerick team.

@ceist please write an article in the style of Martin Brehony picking a best 15 hurling players picking only from the counties of Kilkenny and Waterford