I won't be able to drink to spread covid

Car rentals are gone quite expensive. Also I think the ferry - if you have time - is much better for the environment than a plane (somewhat negated by the subsequent driving but Fagan drives a hybrid)

2 Likes

Have a little bit of business to do in Bruges but that’s neither here nor there. I love the ferry (I’m ex naval service) and I like driving around Europe in my own car. And there’s the not inconsiderable matter of bringing back booze.
Today I went from Amiens to Compiègne where the WW1 Armistice was signed. You should read about it on Wikipedia. Hitler insisted that the French surrender be signed in the same railway carriage.
Then I went to Thiepval in the middle of what was the Battle of the Somme along the back roads. Military graveyards every couple of hundred yards and a massive memorial and good museum.
You’re never seeing any of that unless you have a car.

22 Likes

Was it the actual same carraige or was it another one and Hitler just wanted the symbolism to reverse the humiliation of armistice day ?

No it was the actual same carriage. The French had housed it in a museum there and Hitler had the SS blow a hole in the wall of the museum and wheeled it out in to the yard for the French to sign in exactly the same place as the Germans had signed 22 years previously. Then he had it taken back to Germany where it was destroyed at the end of the war. There is an exact replica in the museum now.

11 Likes

:+1: that’s the one I read about.

4 Likes

I’m envious of course. That’s all that’s wrong with me.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Try one of these. I asked for a red beer one day and got one of these. Bit of a novelty.

1 Like

I’m embarrassed to say I was taking it out of the stand to drink it. Now I realise you hold up the stand.

Dooh…,

1 Like

Kwak. Lovely tack.

1 Like

12 Likes

For the coachmen back in the day as their gloves were frozen solid.

Informative rating….

6 Likes

You’re gone full continental after your holiday…

When in Rome…

Look at the table. Peak hipster.

5 Likes

It looks like the beer mat is sticking off a ledge

1 Like

Harp is hipster at this stage