If 1916 had never happened - the Irish Independence Referendum, 2014

Former Prime Minister Lord Bruton of Boyneside and Sir Bob Geldof have made impassioned pleas for Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom ahead of Friday’s referendum on whether Ireland should secede.

“We’ve fought two World Wars together, and we’ve been part of the greatest and most successful political union the world has ever seen. It would be tragic to throw away almost 850 years of shared history”, said Lord Bruton, who served as Prime Minister from 1990 to 1997 and Chancellor of the Exchequer from 1982 to 1990.

“Ireland is a feeling”, said Geldof, in a speech at a rally in Dublin’s Sackville Street.

Geldof has been joined by other famous names from the entertainment world, such as U2’s Bono, BBC Ireland’s Gay Byrne and Terry Wogan, and ITV Ireland’s Ray D’Arcy in calling for a No vote.

Sporting stars such as England and Kilkenny county cricket legend Henry Shefflington, golfer Rory McIlroy, Ireland football star Roy Queen and rugby player Brian O’Driscoll have also been lining up to play their part in the “Better Together” campaign.

Meanwhile former US Open golf champion Graeme McDowell, Ireland cricket captain John Mooney and British Loins rugby captain Sean Cavanagh have been on the receiving end of a tirade of foul-mouthed abuse on Twitter after revealing that they favour independence.

Polls currently show the outcome to be too close to call, but it’s thought that a strong Yes vote in areas such as Limerick, Wexford and West Dublin may be cancelled out by similarly strong No votes in Union strongholds such as Cork, Kilkenny and Fingal.

All major national newspapers have called for a No vote.

President Norris describes potential Yes voters as traitors in the Seanad on the same week he celebrates the passing of his pro Bacha Bazi laws in the House of Commons

If 1916 had never happened, 1917 would have, or 1918 …

You mug.

1 Like

As the polls opened within the last hour, controversy abounds today over comments by BBC Ireland’s Sir Gay Byrne on last night’s final “Ireland Decides” debate on Channel 4. Byrne angrily said that “revenues from the export of potatoes are no basis on which to run an economy”.

The Irish Independent leads today with a large colour splash of what the national flag might look like without the cross of St. Patrick and the centre spread features a collage of photographs of memorable sporting successes that Irish athletes have been involved in as part of Team GB, such as Dame Katie Taylor’s gold medal at London 2012.

The Independent’s editorial says that “an independent Ireland is a pipe dream rooted in fantasy rather than reality. We must vote with our heads.”

“You don’t simply walk out on a marriage when you have an argument”, writes Sir Anthony O’Reilly in the same paper. “This is without doubt a marriage that has stood the test of time and is worth saving.”

1 Like

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/taoiseach-wants-leinster-house-monument-to-john-redmond-1.1934040

[SIZE=6]First Minister Kenny wants Leinster House monument to John Redmond[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]Former Prime Minister Lord Bruton ‘very glad’ a ‘hundred-year omission’ will be ended

[/SIZE]

Wexford & UK cricketing legend Sir Matin Storey has called on the people of Royal County Wexford to maintain the union.
We’ve been members for longer than Scotland for Gods sake, lets not throw this away.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1019032, member: 183”]http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/taoiseach-wants-leinster-house-monument-to-john-redmond-1.1934040

[SIZE=6]First Minister Kenny wants Leinster House monument to John Redmond[/SIZE]
[SIZE=5]Former Prime Minister Lord Bruton ‘very glad’ a ‘hundred-year omission’ will be ended
[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]
Of course Redmond is already honoured on Redmonds day on the 17th of March for his services to the British crown in heriocally mobilising so many young Irish men to the cause in 1914.

:rolleyes:

Limerick hand model, gary kirby, holds aloft his perfect hand with each finger representing a constituent part of the union as part of the better together campaign. He said " like the fingers on my hand we’re all better together, a vote for independence would be akin to my beautiful getting mangled in a horrific accident"

And there it is, the thread ruined. Thanks as always foley.

Ffs foley

Youre welcome. Did you not realise how much i enjoy annoying you cunts?

@ Admins, can we delete Foleys post and pretend it never happened?

Get lost, Art.

I see Tipperary supporters will once again gather for the traditional Irish Cup final singing of “It’s A Long Way To Tipperary” in Dublin’s Talbot St., at midday on Saturday September 27th.

Great to see this time-honoured tradition continue.

I’ve just been down to the polling station at my local grammar school and the turnout is brisk. Whichever way the result goes, I think we can congratulate ourselves on a campaign which has been the very essence of the democracy Britain has so kindly granted us.

I think the sympathy vote after the death of Ian Paisley will probably swing it for the No side.

[QUOTE=“Sidney, post: 1019072, member: 183”]I see Tipperary supporters will once again gather for the traditional Irish Cup final singing of “It’s A Long Way To Tipperary” in Dublin’s Talbot St., at midday on Saturday September 27th.

Great to see this time-honoured tradition continue.

I’ve just been down to the polling station at my local grammar school and the turnout is brisk. Whichever way the result goes, I think we can congratulate ourselves on a campaign which has been the very essence of the democracy Britain has so kindly granted us.

I think the sympathy vote after the death of Ian Paisley will probably swing it for the No side.[/QUOTE]
Probably. The large West Indian and Pakistani communities in Cahir and Clonmel are staunchly no. I’d imagine they’re worried about the impact of independence on exports from the Jaguar motor plants in the Tipperary towns to the mainland.

Don’t mind the Naan sandwich brigade, they’ll vote with their pockets like they’ve always done.

1 Like

That and AIB and Bank of Ireland saying they’d move headquarters to London if Yes wins.

I did like the Better Together campaign’s Irish slogan “Devolution, not revolution” which was far better than the “No Thanks” they used in Scotland.