I'm going into town now

I had a successful afternoon in town, chaps. I treated myself to an early finish as we’re not busy this week.

First off I went into the impressive UL facility, and after paying to use the running track only (€5) I engaged in a bit of light small talk with the married receptionist who queried if it was cold outside. She put me on the spot somewhat as I wasn’t anticipating a to and fro chit chat outside of our financial exchange. Nevertheless, unflustered, I put forth the idea that it was “manageable” outside and went a step further in saying that the temperature was around “two degrees” in my opinion. This was met by a very surprised yet delighted nod of approval that things were nowhere near as bad as she feared they might be. I instantly regretted my confident yet totally without basis assessment of the temperature outside, which with zero scientific basis could have varied by as much as 6-7 degrees either side of what I said. I went on my way and enjoyed a 40min swim in the pool.

After this it was now around 2pm and I was very hungry so decided to go to Chawkes centra shop on the Dublin road, it was nearby and it used to have a lovely deli counter about 10-15yrs ago. When I approached the deli counter it could have been a scene from the Celtic Tiger years as three burly looking tradesmen were ahead of me ordering rolls. I don’t know what was in the first two chaps rolls but I watched in aghast as the fella nearest me ordered a “hot chicken roll” with coleslaw and all topped off with cheese. I couldn’t get my head around fellas still ordering these things. Anyhow I was grossly underwhelmed by the fare on offer in the deli counter, which I’m unsure is either because the place has gone back a lot or that my palette has got more sophisticated in the 10yrs since I last approached that deli counter. I ordered a tuna sweet corn and peppers roll and was on my way.

I ate the roll in the car whilst driving to the Paddy Powers shop where I’d an interest in the 2.45 at Chelmsford. I had backed a horse in it in the morning but unfortunately he went unplaced. There was one eejit sitting in the shop playing on a FOBT like machine and I was staggered to observe his girlfriend sat beside this dope waiting patiently for him to lose all of his money. I was unable to identify him as a member of the travelling community because I wasn’t there long enough for him to turn around but there seemed to be a 25% or so chance that he was because I think she might have been.

Next I went to the library in Raheen as I had two books to return. While idly perusing the book shelves I overheard two elderly gentleman discussing the weather. This seemed to be a hot topic today. They were laughing at the stupidity of people rushing to the shops to stock up on bread, milk and booze in dread that they’d be snowed in for days. I found myself nodding along in agreement. I left the library after loaning a book by that Greek fella Yanis Vourfakis.

It was only around 3.30pm at this point so I decided to walk into the Crescent shopping centre with no particular purpose. Straight away I noticed Superdry had opened a shop there so had a look inside. I walked out with a pants for €70 and a top for €30. I think I will get great “wear” as they say out of the pants in particular. One thing I didn’t like was all three female members of staff had their heads stuck in their phones the entire time I was there, which I found astonishingly unprofessional and said to me that there’s no one in charge there.

On making my way to the exits my day was complete as I walked passed Limerick hurling legend and alright sort Joe Quaid sitting on his own in ‘BB’s cafe’. Joe was devouring what looked to be a blueberry flavoured muffin and had an accompanying hot drink. He paused briefly to look up and make eye contact with me and we had a fleeting moment where he probably thought I was someone he knew while meanwhile I had that moment for a split second that this is someone I know but who is it? Then it came to me immediately. Joe was wearing a black duffel coat, blue jeans, brown shoes and I’m disappointed to say he had a scarf flung over his shoulders but I’ll let him off that one as he’s still a legend to me.

28 Likes

I’m in Dublin 2 but felt like I was right there with you

2 Likes

Christ on a bike.
The threat of a bit of cold weather has tipped people over the edge…

You never made it to town so pal?
Would you not have parked over by the library in the Crescent?

You have a lovely way about you

1 Like

A pants? Fuck it but that’s fairly roasterish terminology right there.

1 Like

If he was at Grand Master level he would’ve said “a pant for €70”

1 Like

Or as an uncle of mine calls them, “pantses”.

Mens’s pantses

Is having to pay to use a running track a thing?

That would drive me around the bend.

Indoor running track

3 Likes

Fair enough. A fiver is steep enough all the same

That might have covered the use of the pool afterwards as well. Actually I think he’s pulled the age old UL scam where people pay a lesser fee to use the track, then sneak into the pool afterwards

1 Like

Bingo. €8 for the pool so that’s why I say I’m going using the running track. Save myself €3. And the car park is free if you’re back out inside 90mins. I’ve it all worked out.

3 Likes

I did it myself many times back in the day

Just strolling into town and happened upon the crazy fundamentalist marchers.

Singing “2 4 6 8 we appreciate the 8th!”

1 Like

Any sign of the Iona lads?

What are you wearing ?