Injuries

Chaps, could you diagnose a foot problem for me please?

Drawing and description below:

Basically my left foot is very painful in the shaded area after physical activity such as running or brisk walking. :running_man: :walking_man:

I’d practically be limping with it at the end of a 30 minute stroll. The pain is noticeable just below the left ankle bone, a little to the front and into the middle of the foot (metatarsal, stress fracture?) but more often a more piercing pain down along the outside of the foot on the lateral side. But the strange part is there’s also some sore enough pain on the sole in the middle of the foot about two thirds back and that can be felt edging over to the other side of the foot (plantar fasciitis?).

I don’t want to go to the physio before Christmas. Does this read like a proper injury that needs treatment or should I just get on with it?

Responses only from posters who’ve successfully diagnosed injuries online before. No time wasters please.

Plantar fasciitis.

Get a golf ball and constantly roll it with the sole of your foot applying varying amounts of pressure (similar to foam roolling) for 10 minutes or so each evening when sitting down and it should relieve the pain.

2 Likes

Does the pain only appear/get worse after prolonged activity? Sounds like it could be a stress fracture alright… But hard to tell. Rest it for two weeks, pal…if it is still there in the new year maybe seek non TFK professional advice.

1 Like

I’d be very worried that your foot has a shaded area mate. Could be gangrene.

Thanks @Big_Dan_Campbell and @ChocolateMice.

So it could be plantar fasciitis and a stress fracture. :eek:

FAO of Choco: a very, very small / nagging pain is present most of the time but it comes on strong after prolonged activity. I haven’t ran on it since last Friday week - I did a dawn run, came back and got showered, ready etc and the pain had come on by the time I was leaving the apartment again. A painful walk ensued and it made for an uncomfortable day as the hours passed and I was going about my daily business.

Generally with a stress fracture it becomes unbearable after prolonged activity but if resting the pain goes away - So maybe lean towards @Big_Dan_Campbell here. Rest and golf ball treatment will do you good regardless.

1 Like

Have you tried gait analysis?

May I use my cricket ball instead of a golf ball?

I don’t have a golf ball.

1 Like

Certainly.

I get a soreness in my ankle area similar to what you described above and assumed it was an Achilles injury or just a legacy of the many sprained ankle I have had down through the years but the physio maintained it was plantar fasciitis and recommended the golf ball. I have been doing it for the past three weeks or so and while I still get a soreness it is nowhere near as pronounced as it was before I started doing it.

I assume a cricket ball might work but it may not be as effective

1 Like

I surely did. It’s a TFK rite of passage.

My injury was subsequent to my over-pronation diagnosis.

1 Like

Chewys diagnosis is correct pal, cricket ball works wonders, folowed by rest, stretching, anal thumb insertion.

1 Like

@Bandage - I’ve suffered from said injury. Do what Big Mick suggests and also rest.

Do you foam roll your calves? If your calves are tight it pushes the pressure further down to your achilles and ankle and can make the pain worse. While testing foam roll the shit out of your legs to loosen them up. Or if you’re lazy, pay for a proper sports massage on your legs.

1 Like

Although I’m most likely not welcome to comment on this matter as I’ve yet to diagnose anyone with anything online before ( apart from carryharrys dose of acute cuntitisis) I suffered similar symptoms to what you describe following an incident with an agricultural machine.
I self diagnosed and I suspected there was a hairline fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone ( RHS) and prescribed plenty of rest and minimal waking on the affected area for upwards of 14 days.
I found this eventually solved the matter to my satisfaction.

1 Like

I’m really touched by this outpouring of advice and concern.

FAO of @Mac - I’ve suffered a couple of calf strains (one on each calf) over the last 12 months and I’ve tight calf muscles generally. I foam roll a bit but not religiously and it’s probably all related alright. It’s also probably due to getting older. :cry:

I’ll do some more foam rolling along with my cricket ball activity.

You need to sort those calves out mate. Get a couple of massages done as they’re probably beyond rolling now unless you want to put yourself through awful pain. And then roll on a daily basis until they’re as loose as a nurse in Coppers

Would you generally wake on your foot a lot?

Thanks again @Big_Dan_Campbell, @ChocolateMice and @Mac. The cricket ball has been working a treat. I recommenced some field running last weekend after 15 (fifteen) days’ rest. Continued to ease my way back with short field runs / intervals on Monday and Wednesday before completing a cautious 26 (twenty-six) minute 5km jog before dawn this morning. I’m now in position to step up my 5km pavement runs to ensure an injury recurrence before the new year.

4 Likes

@caoimhaoin What are policies with regards to physio at GAA club level that you come across? We spent nearly 10K on physio last year. 2 players in particular took the absolute piss and an outlay like that is clearly unsustainable. We realise now you cant have it on tap and if you say you are entitled to x amount of sessions then its like sick day entitlement in work that people will use up unnecessarily in cases. Any feedback or opinions??

:scream: would ye be a big club?
There needs to be some sort of cap put in place, or perhaps have a designated club physio that the club can trust. Players either go to him or else they pay to go elsewhere.