Interesting concept albums

Farmer stands up for a gobshite like that fuckhead from whipping boy, and then slams a known mental illness sufferer and writer of genius music, Brian Wilson.

Astonishing.

[quote=“myboyblue”]Farmer stands up for a gobshite like that fuckhead from whipping boy, and then slams a known mental illness sufferer and writer of genius music, Brian Wilson.

Astonishing.[/QUOTE]

Farmer thinks that dickhead from Whipping Boy is cool? :smiley:

Brian Wilson, deaf in one ear from beatings by his father, hears voices and suffers from depression due to drug abuse associated with the pressures of being in one the most popular groups in 60s USA, yet still manages to create a plethora of amazing records while becoming a good father and husband.

Some gobshite. :smiley:

No can do I’m afraid.

Exactly. We all know about Wilson’s illness. I don’t doubt that he went through it but so did many more and he never stops telling us either.

He also has a massively high opinion of himself when in the overall scheme of things he is ordinary. Things like ‘Pet Sounds really was a work of genius’. I just don’t like the bloke and would not rate him nearly as highly as others as a musician.

As for Whipping Boy, I never recall me standing up for McKee (in fact I said he was a gobshite) but I defended him in light of MBB’s ridiculous assertion that he was the reason that they never made it big.

[quote=“SHANNONSIDER**”]Superb stuff there Bandage.

Tommy would be a rather early concept album alright though I don’t have it myself. There seems to be a notion abroad that the only Who song you can play on the radio these days is Baba O’Riley, God knows why as there must be at least a dozen all time classic Who songs out there at the very least.[/QUOTE]

Phantom tend to play the Who semi regularly.
Who are you, Substitute and Can’t explain seem to be favouites of theirs.

What did Fearghal Magee do lads? Always had an attitude about him but I thought he was a cracking front man.

Oh I’m not sure we’ll go back into it now SS, there was a debate on the crackign tunes thread if you want to dig it up. Always found him to be a dickhead, but then I have previous with him.

Bullit points:

• MBB said that Magee was one of the main reasons that Whipping Boy never made it very big due to the fact he wouldn’t play nice with the likes of NME in terms of interviews etc and that resulted in them not getting the exposure they deserved in the UK

• Farmer said that it was bollox and that he knows loads about music so he was right.

It went back an forth in that vein for about 4 pages before it was eventually decided that MBB had was right.

Missed all that but thanks for the summation there Runty. Did someone build port holes for farmer so he could gaze across the mountains?

You are what you own in this land SS.

I know he ruined one of their comeback gigs a couple of years ago by being a total drunken bollox.

Fergal McKee owes me eur26.50

Fergal McKee you prick!

What a fucking disgrace. I go to the whipping boy concert, all excited about seeing them. I used to listen to them all the time, but alas I was too young to go to the gigs anytime they played in Cork before.

So I pay my 26.50 and off I go. Get in the door. Opening band do pretty well. But then whipping boy come on. Well the rest of whipping boy come on stage, Fergal McKee staggers on stage. Mumbles some shite about loving Cork, and off he goes.

What a twat. Missed approximately 85% of all the notes all night. He couldn’t sing low enough for the music in most songs, so he decides to shout-sing the lyrics about half an octave too high.

The band sounded good. Tight music. Every intro promised loads until that steamed drunk bastard from hell started singing. I could have gone up and sang better myself. Then maybe the crowd wouldn’t have thinned by 1/3 within the first half hour. I’ve never seen anything like it. People just leaving a gig they paid good money to see.

I myself left about 20 mins before the end. Something I’ve never done. The cunt was drinking buckfast on stage, had done 2 stage dives by the 5th song. Worst of all was the bunch of muppets screaming at the front of the stage, enouraging that shite he was doing.

Fergal McKee, you owe me 26.50 you cunt bastard shit face prick.

Never saw a cunt love a stage dive s much as this prick. Said before I saw him eating dancefloor once when he done it, oh how I laughed.

Saw him in the Warwick Hotel around 1995 and he didn’t so much stage dive as jump into the crowd feet first. He was singing well though. He introduced a song as 'Summer of ‘69’ before launching into Twinkle that night. That Warwick was great in a shit sort of way, you could buy cans at the bar.

[quote=“The Runt”]Bullit points:

• MBB said that Magee was one of the main reasons that Whipping Boy never made it very big due to the fact he wouldn’t play nice with the likes of NME in terms of interviews etc and that resulted in them not getting the exposure they deserved in the UK

• Farmer said that it was bollox and that he knows loads about music so he was right.

It went back an forth in that vein for about 4 pages before it was eventually decided that MBB had was right.[/QUOTE]

Terrible summation.

I recall a long post by me addressing the crooks of the issue and MBB failing to come back with anything only one liners like ‘you’re so naive’ and the likes.

EDIT - he also brought Glen Hansard’s view of McKee into it.

You have previous with him?

Did a Hot Press reporter not have issues with him and told you about it?

I knew of another Hot Press reporter that gone on very well with him and the whole band.

Illinois from Sufjan Stevens is a more recent and fairly decent concept album… David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust and Pink Floyds The Wall are 2 of the greatest albums of all time.

Farmer is seething…:clap:

My brother was at that and said that they were brilliant but the gig was too short.

Crack the Skye by Mastodon is my favourite concept album melding themes from Tsarist Russia, astral travel and wormholes.