Investment Opportunities (get poor quickly schemes)

[quote=“Garda Sean Horgan”]it’s actually down to 3.5% now. It’s probably going to drop.
However, the money I get the interest on is growing to the amount paid in interest will grow.
Also, I can take money out if I need and the interest is paid monthly.
Thats way better value than having money sitting earning nothing for 5.5 years and getting 20% on that amount rathter than 3.5% with interest paid monthly and the option to take it out if you need.

I didn’t need to do my maths on this as I got the accountant to do it for me and they gave me the options. The esavings plus was the best one.

ECB is only going one way also, back up.
I dont think it’s a time to have cash tied down and not earning anything.
Thats just my opinion. 20% after 5.5 years without being able to take the money in or out is not good value considering what is out there.

Yours etc,
GSH.[/QUOTE]

GSH- I was talking about FArmer’s deal- 20% over 5 years is not 4% per year. We’re talking about compound interest here…
Anyway I’d agree with your general thrust- its a poor deal especially with the inability to access your money.

My work have a 40% for 5 years deal where you give them the money and they give you 140% back at the end of 5 years. Much better deal for not being able to access your money

Now yer talkin !
Can I give you 100k to put in for me?

Yours etc,
GSH.

[quote=“Garda Sean Horgan”]Now yer talkin !
Can I give you 100k to put in for me?

Yours etc,
GSH.[/QUOTE]

No chance
There’s a limit any one man can put into the plan and I’m filling it myself:D

It’s a good year and a half since anything was posted in this thread so i am going to bump it in case there are any new users to the board with anything to contribute or maybe some of the older members have invested in shares in the meantime. I think it was dancarter mentioned he felt that buying shares in renewable energy companies was a good idea. I wonder if he went through with it. Is there anyone who can recommend a good company to invest shares in i wonder…

Dunph, shares with a dividend payout are what you need. and reinvest the dividends.I think Dancarter said this a long time ago. I put a few bob into some global brand names over two years ago, Apple, Coca Cola, Caterpillar, Goldman. Think I am about 30-40% up now. Some people say China funds but China is surely going to run out of gas with the property bubble they have developing there. Latin America is another option, big potential in Brazil for example. Of course with bigger reward potentially, there is bigger risk as a gentleman of the Turf like yourself would know. People are always going to want to eat so think about agriculture related. Oil stocks I know nothing and certainly nothing about exploration stocks but the likes of BP and Shell generate dividends, though BP had to suspend last year because of the oil leak.

I would never invest in those bastards Shell after watching that documentary ‘An Piopa’.

I would imagine you are doing very well out of Apple?

I’d love to see the Shell boys dealing out some pain to the crusties up in Mayo, most of the snivelling rats up there protesting aren’t even Irish citizens. As Gordon would say “Greed is good!”

Does anyone know where you can view a list of the companies that are on the Irish stock exchange market and their current share prices? I was looking at www.ise.ie and in their companies section but can’t find anything. I would like to invest money in agriculature, possibly the bean sector.

Rte.ie Dunph

+1 Fuck yea

I would assume that having a good grasp on the effect of weather has on crops such as wheat, sugar cane, coffee etc would mean that a lad could have a fair chance of making a few pounds in commodity trading. Its somthing I am looking into myself but gathering a few pound to invest in it is not as easy as it used to be.

A friend of mine working as a broker in NY told me to load up on these about 2 weeks ago…

http://www.shareprice.co.uk/RRL/RANGE-RESOURCES-LD

Unfortunatly being married and with a kid on the way, my risk taking is being curtailed and I didnt purchase… ah well.

I made a tidy sum spreadbetting on gold with a mate a few years ago. Wouldn’t be inclined to it again though. Great when it goes well but the risk is massive.

Still no sign of those ECB increases. Strange really almost 2 years later and things have not changed all that much. I still happy to stand over my original assertion prior to this point that the Irish banks paying over the odds on their deposits is completely unsustainable. Think PTSB funding mismatch is a perfect example of this, their mortgage holders are now paying the price for it. I think any fears of material levels of inflation are still some distance off (unfortunately maybe!).

I would have a theory myself that PTSB are trying to piss off the government so much they will be preferred bidder for Anglo & INBS deposit books. Them deposits would sort out a lot of problems for them and allow them to cut a deal with the gov to row back on their rate increases.

The banks who dont need to overpay for deposits have been steadily reducing their rates e.g Rabodirect. I have my savings with them for security and they have absolutely shite rates, doesnt seem to be doing them any harm really.

I did Dunph. Put some money from my savings into a few different rabodirect funds on a monthly basis. two energy funds up about 8 % between them, one gold fund up about 16% and one enrgy fund down 6% happy enough overall. good spread so dont feel like capital is at too much risk. I didnt by direct shares though as too expensive for small investments. those funds with rabo allow you invest v cheap, think its 75c for every 100 you invest or something which is quite reasonable

Dan what is your opinion on AIB at the moment? Is there any chance they could go to the wall, taking peoples deposits with them? BOI also.

I think your money is safe up to the level of the guarantee 100 k . It happened in Denmark a few wks ago that a bank went to the wall and depositors lost 40% of their cash. Dont think EU would let it happen here. If it does wel be back to barter.

If you want investment advice, our next boom is likely to be led by the pharmaceutical industry, there are a couple of companies out there in this industry listed on the ISEQ. A full list of all shares on the ISEQ are available here.
http://www.rte.ie/news/business/markets/iseq.html
One to take note of here is AGI (you can currently buy shares for .05c) They do a lot of work with developing new medicines and you should take a look at their current products and research here. http://www.agitherapeutics.com/

Let me know if you want to know more about purchasing shares etc.

Pharma is old news. Medical devices is where it’s at. Growing by 10%+ p.a. despite a crippling recession.