Ireland politics (Part 1)

@flattythehurdler mentioned above about a nominal fee for pensioners and unemployed etc to use GPs and A & Es.
I think this would surely be a starting point, some pensioners use doctors visits as a social outlet, as do single mothers as they bring little Johnny to the doctor with a sniffle.
A small fee of €10 would no doubt keep the unnecessary ones at bay.

1 Like

I don’t know actually, but I don’t think there is. We were visiting at the time and had to go to clonmel.
Clonmel diagnosed it as a broken wrist. Cast slipped off last night so had to into limerick this morning with her. They re-examined the x-ray from clonmel. Said there is no break and she’s fine.

There wasn’t a single other person waiting in A&E this morning . We were in and out in an hour.

Good news really but FFS!!!

The best political, administrative and medical minds in Ireland haven’t been able to solve the crisis in the Irish health service for nearly 30 years but the resident experts on tfk have knocked out a solution in a morning.

:clap:

6 Likes

All well and good coming up with the solutions, the problem is when those solutions are put to the vested interests in Health in this country and that’s when your solution no matter how good it is will be shot down.

It’s vested interests such as unions and other such ilk that are the roadblock to progress. Unfortunately there is no way to avoid the cunts as they will take the service down if they don’t get their pound of flesh no matter if it fucks up the services even further.

1 Like

Ballsy guys

That’s the funniest thing you have ever written on here

4 Likes

You know better medical and political minds?

You’d think the best medical minds in the country work for dept of health?

Then what fucking good are they in this conversation?

It was fagan brought it up ask him

Decisions are made by those who show up.

If you stopped frothing at the mouth there for a second you would realise we are in full agreement.

Fagan said the best minds in the country had failed to resolve it. I think we both agree they never got in a position to.

Because they never showed up. Why didn’t they?

Because their ambitions were elsewhere?

What clinician with designs on being a top consultant would sacrifice 10 or 15 years of study to run for public office?

I don’t get your point though. Are you saying the best elected officials and the best civil servants who were willing to remain in the public sector had a go at fixing it and fair play to them for trying they were the best available? Then I’d probably agree with that.

I thought we were, at present, discussing the best medical minds?

If their ambitions are elsewhere (which is their right), when their expertise for 5-10 years could perhaps, help/solve/fix a failing health service then they have have no sense of public service and a very sad state of affairs.

But, yes, they can have little complaint when others attempt to take on the problem in their absence.

Health spending increased a huge amount in early 2000s without any noticeable increase in service. Hospitals are run for benefit of staff and management and not patients.

Where did I say any different? I made no comment as to their civic mindedness or not. You’re after manafacturing all of this in your head. I merely said the best medical minds in the country hadn’t dealt with the problem. No more no less.

P.S. have a look at what John Crown tried to do as a senator. I’d say the man was utterly bet down at the end of it.

And I said, if they don’t care to turn up, then what good are they.

At least John Crown tried, he showed up.

That’s fine. But nothing at all to do with my point. Agree completely about crown. Huge respect for what he tried to do. But I doubt many will jump in to follow him