Ireland politics (Part 1)

Leo mugs them off again. I bet Fianna Fail will try make hay on this and fail miserably again.

2 Likes

Tremendously honest, for once, of Gemma O’Doherty to call herself an enemy of the people.

Having read some of her output over the last couple of years, I’d have to agree with her self-assertion.

1 Like

While some of her stuff is off the wall, a n the vast majority of her stuff she’s done the people some service unlike the churnalists in the Dinny dependant or the echo Chambers that is the times.

You saw what the Irish media was about over the last few weeks in the charleton inquiry

2 Likes

She’s been daycent of late tho… calling out everyone and anyone.

Hopefully this will see the Media now start to take politicians to task over there decisions instead of giving them an easy time of if as they have done. I doubt it considering the way the media is in this country.

She’s a crank. The Irish media is like the media everywhere. Some of it is excellent, some of it is middling, some of it is a disgrace.

O’Doherty has increasingly fallen into the latter category.

There are clear issues in terms of ownership of certain outlets. The irony is that those who rail most against “the media” (a deliberately broad brush term meant to generalise and vilify the entire concept of journalism) tend to be the ones who are happiest when media is malignly influenced by corporate interests.

We at least know why Donald Trump or Leo Varadkar would be happy when media gets influenced by corporate and politically partisan right-wing interests. It’s because they stand to benefit directly.

What’s O’Doherty’s excuse? From outside the tent, she’s now doing the unpaid bidding of the exact agenda she once claimed to be against.

1 Like

Leo is taking on all comers in the Dail. Currently batting away MLM.

A great way to distract from the Tuam mother and babies home protest outside t he DĂ il right now.

1 Like

Such as?

The Irish Times is an excellent newspaper.

So is the Sunday Business Post. The Sunday Times and The Times Ireland are generally excellent despite them being under the Murdoch umbrella. The Irish Examiner is decent enough.

All major newspapers have some excellent journalists but there is far too much clickbait crap mixed in, particularly in the INM/ Denis O’Brien stable.

RTE do some excellent stuff and were to the forefront in exposing the smear campaign against Maurice McCabe.

But stuff like Claire Byrne Live is low rent clickbait, controversialist for its own sake fodder.

The Last Word on Today FM is good programme. Matt Cooper is an excellent journalist in general but his new programme on TV3 has fallen well below what it was when Vincent Browne was there.

There are clear problems with elements of Irish journalism - the Paul Williams/Paul Reynolds/Garda clique being an obvious example, the way property interests compromised most of the media during the bubble years is another.

But we at least don’t have nearly the same level of outright naked misinformation and shamless propaganda for a far right, corporate, nihilistic agenda that much of the US and UK media has - Fox, Breitbart, Daily Mail, The Sun etc.

Of course outlets such as these are never what those who rail against the generalised “media” have in mind. They’re exactly what they want “journalism” to be, ie. not journalism at all, but right-wing propaganda.

2 Likes

No they weren’t, and given last week’s evidence one could logically come to the conclusion that some in RTE played a role in the smears campaign.

I agree with you on the SBP and the ST. the IT has gone to pot and is an echo chamber. When was the last time they did a legitimate piece of their own investigative journalism ? I.e. Not piggybacking on the guardian

3 Likes

Katie Hannon did excellent work on the McCabe case and it wouldn’t have made a quarter of the impact it did without her.

That you consider the Irish Times an echo chamber says a lot about your paranoia and conservatism.

Contrarian right-wing views are aired in the Irish media in far outsize proportion to their actual prevalence in real life in Ireland, including in the Irish Times.

The Irish times is an echo chamber. The fact that the echo chamber correlates to your world view, as usual, blinds you to the obvious.

Now care to answer the question from the last post?

2 Likes

The Irish Times is indeed quite poor.

That includes their political correspondent who would be considered a FG backer, btw.

The cervical cancer issue being a typical example of the Irish media having no clue what they’re talking about.

Your problem art, is that you’re completely trapped in your own little echo chamber on this forum, with a load of like minded rural conservative backwoodsmen to give you “likes”.

Most of this forum is out of touch with reality.

And as usual you spout bile to try and get you out of the hole you’ve dug for yourself. For such a self appointed “champion of rights”, you’re a real hater.

You started the bile art. I haven’t even contributed a scintilla of it.

You should read back pal.

The only ones he made a mug of were fellow blueshirts Kenny and Coveney and that’s nowt to shout home about.

I think you should, pal.

Your problem appears to be with the fact that your conservative worldview is a fringe, minority, ever-declining one in this country.

I have no problem with you holding the views you hold.

I just think they’re consistent with and indivisible from being a miserablist, backward-looking gobshite.