Ireland politics (Part 1)

Huh?

I asked a question.

My understanding is that this is secured and will be legislated for by the end of the year. So why the March?

The answer, which I’m suprised you haven’t been able to work out for yourself, is that legislation hasn’t been passed yet, and that anti-abortion nutters will try everything to water it down it as much as possible. Therefore it is imperative that the issue is kept in the public spotlight to stop the lunatic fringe gaining any leeway whatsoever.

Ms Monaghan said there were, however, “still aspects of the legislation we are concerned about and whether these will act as barriers to some women accessing abortion services – such as conscientious objection, like the provision requiring women to wait 72 hours between asking for an abortion and getting the medication, the lack of clear guidelines, the lack of inclusive language . . . There are definitely still a lot of questions.”

3 Likes

That’s it really? They’re marching for inclusive language in legislation?

Your “argument” boils down to the following: that because you don’t support the aims of the march, there is therefore no purpose to the march.

Stunningly brilliant arguing, on the same level as the “arguments” advanced against a Yes vote in the referendum.

Government ministers were attending a street protest .

1 Like

What do you mean?

I asked what the march was about, because the referendum was won and the legislation is currently being enacted.

I looked on Twitter and I saw a few people mentioning that it was a celebration of “their” achievement. That’s a very very odd mindset but makes a lot of sense for a certain type of person. Maybe Corporate Ireland will get behind this like they have Pride for next year.

1 Like

Their presence was the oddest part. It seems they were there to celebrate their amazing achievement again but with people who have an issue with the biological reality that only women can become pregnant and have an issue with what the people were told they were voting for?

Great wacky sunglasses on Catherine Noone and brill Tweets from Simon Harris on the matter though.

And you got a direct answer. It’s not my problem if you aren’t bright enough to understand that answer.

You weren’t bright enough to understand the arguments during the referendum campaign either.

But that doesn’t seem to be the whole story and all seems rather trivial. The Government are legislating on what they said they would.

There seems to be 3 reasons for this march cited by various persons;

1. It’s an International Day and there’s places where it’s still restricted like Northern Ireland. Fair enough.
  2. There’s some people who don’t understand how legislation is written and want it changed to make them feel better. They’re also impatient and don’t understand that things take a little bit to get through Parliament.
  3. Continued celebration. That certainly seems to be the case with the likes of Harris and Noone. Harris though tweeted out it was in “solidarity” with @freesafelegal which suggests he might agree with point 2), which is odd considering that he would be one of the primary movers in Government.

Certainly seems for the likes of Noone and Harris that it was another occasion for them to dine out of their success, which I find very weird quite frankly.

Could not just come out and say you found it weird and distasteful 7 posts ago when it was clearly where you were headed?
The constant questions make u look needy tbh.

1 Like

It’s very distasteful indeed but what do you expect from Harris and Noone.

Varadkar on the radio, nothing wrong with this behaviour at all according to him, a fucking joke of a country

In fairness if the other fellow had paid for lunch he’d probably have had to disclose it on the lobbying register.

It wasn’t like Coleman was going to push him on it.

Denis Naughten is gone.

1 Like

Ye’ll never get agri broadband now.

Boggerband

3 Likes

No loss

Pity Ross and few others dont go with him.

How many more do we need to go before the government is dissolved?