Ireland V Czech Republic

Takes place on the 29th of February.

Don’t think there is a thread set up for it. Presume the squad will be named in a couple of weeks.

Please post all related info here

will stephen ireland be back?

Squad will be interesting.

Trap has stated his reluctance to bring in a wave of new faces, so the ones that do make this squad are the ones primarily in his thoughts. eg. McClean I would say.

Yeah, I would say that McClean, Meyler and Greg Cunningham are likely to be the only ones involved who haven’t been in the mix over the past few months

Squad is to be named this Friday in Waterford

Best looks out of this game with knee injury. Quite unlikely he would have made Euro squad but his only hope is probably for one of our other strikers to pick up an injury themselves ahead of Euro 2012

I’d say he will need two to get injured. You would fancy Trap to bring the 5 in Keane, Doyle, Cox, Walters and Long and if one was to get injured I would say that he would probably bring a 4th winger instead like Coleman, Lawrence or McClean ahead of Best

Have we any indication what size the squad will be for the Czech game? If McClean does get in (and his registration isn’t cleared yet as far as I know) then I’d guess it might be as part of the usual larger panel because I don’t see anyone dropping out other than Best with his injury. Not sure when McGeady is back in action either but presumably that’s imminent with Champions League returning next week.

He normally calls up 26 or so for these kinds of games, but as they normally name the squad a few weeks early injuries/withdrawals reduce the actual number

Aston Villa have been unsuccessful in their attempt to extend Robbie Keane’s loan period and he will return to the Los Angeles Galaxy after the clash at Wigan on 25 February, Press Association Sport understands.
Keane has made a big impression at Villa, scoring three goals in two league starts, and Villa were hoping he could remain with them for a further week.
But the Galaxy want Keane to return after playing at the DW Stadium to prepare for the new Major Soccer League season which starts on 10 March.

Keane will feature in Sunday’s Barclays Premier League meeting with Manchester City but Villa’s FA Cup exit means he will have a two-week wait before his final appearance against the Latics.

How much would Keane cost to buy? Considering he’s been just about their best player since he arrived he’s surely worth splashing out on?

McClean has received his clearance to play for the Republic

Mr Trapattoni will be announcing the squad very shortly. I’m hoping and praying that McClean and Kilbane are named in it. McGeady got injured in a Spartak Moscow pre-season game the other day apparently but might still be okay for this fixture.

I suspect even Best may be named in it. A couple of times recently Trap has named clearly injured players in his provisional squad for some reason - maybe just to send a message.

McGeady’s injury was initially thought to be relatively bad but seems that the initial diagnosis was over the top and he should be ok. Hoping McClean gets called up too - funny how the clamour for Coleman has been replaced by this though.

Yes, I would be surprised if Coleman gets to the Euro’s barring others getting injured, he seems to be struggling for form big time and has had a few niggly injuries in recent times

No McClean, I repeat no McClean*

Yippee ki yay motherfuckers.

*Acc to Ken Burley.

EDIT No Pilkington or Houlihan either, but not so sure they were that close.

My thoughts are with Jess and Stevie at this tough time. There’s still a chance Stevie.

24 man squad. Big surprise really is that it wasn’t a bigger squad. Keogh, McShane and Lawrence all drop out and Best is injured but no new call-ups.

Interesting that Trap pruned the squad down to 24 but I can’t say I’m displeased that McShane and Keogh have been omitted. Of those selected, the players fighting for the last couple of places in the squad are probably the likes of Foley, Coleman, McCarthy and Gibson. I would have liked McClean to receive a call up, even just soTrap could see him at close quarters in training to assess him. Trap’s quoted at the squad announcement press conference as saying McClean is ‘100% for the future’ and, while it’s admirable to reward the squad that delivered us qualification, I think the Derryman is a serious wild card option and gives us something different to the other wingers in terms of his size and strength.

I am a bit disappointed that one of Kilbane, clark or Cunningham hasn’t been called up as we now have no cover at left back aside from switching one of the right backs over there.