Ireland v Netherlands - Sunday, 7.45pm

Didi Hamann said last night that Trap and Martin O’Neill both gave more players debuts than Stephen Kenny.

That can’t be right?

Vladimir Petkovic is available and speaks English.

Moyes has managed at at least par at a high level for 20 years.

I still think Larsson is the greatest player Celtic ever had, and in the conversation for an all time great in general. Outstanding. Other lads think moravcek was the most talented player Celtic ever had (the lifelong weegie Celtic lads I used go to games with though he was better than Dalgleish, and they thought Dalgleish was the GOAT), but Larsson for me was simply brilliant. Three times the player viduka was, and viduka flourished elsewhere.
Even Wenger attributed Barcelona’s champions League win to Larsson coming on.

Trap capped a lot of players in fairness. He wasn’t afraid to take a punt on lads and got some decent performances from fairly unheralded lads

Kerr or Kenny gents. Who was better/worse?

Brian Kerr has the highest win ratio of any Irish manager

2 Likes

Informative rating. I really really like him as a pundit.

And daley blind :roll_eyes: it’s ridiculously cringe

The media give Spock such a free ride it’s incredible. Even still though, he just seems lost and almost a figure of pity.

I don’t agree with @Cheasty on much but he’s right about a manager, particularly at high level, needing a personality. Who in the good fuck would follow Spock into war?

in fairness to Kenny, he can’t be accused of not capping lads, he’s capped a shit load

Compare the list of signings Celtic made in the years 1995-1999 to the signings O’Neill made.

In the 1995-1999 period they signed:
Van Hooijdonk
Thom
Cadete
Di Canio
McNamara
Stubbs
Larsson
Rieper
Burley
Lambert
Moravcik
Viduka
Mjallby (I erroneously said earlier O’Neill signed him, it was actually Dr. Jo)
Petrov

All of those were excellent signings.

O’Neill signed:
Sutton
Thompson
Lennon
Valgaeren
Agathe
Balde
Hartson
Rab Douglas
Stephen Pearson
Momo Sylla
Steve Guppy
Juninho
Bellamy on loan

Some successful signings there early in his tenure at Celtic but after that the recruitment went to shit.

Kerr was shite relative to the players available to him. It’s one of the biggest myths in Irish football that he was hard done by being sacked after failing to qualify for 2006. Our competitive performances under him were in general awful. The 0-0 draw in Paris which was his best moment was actually a massive missed opportunity. France were a rabble in that group and were a total rabble that night. We had to beat them and we didn’t.

That’s not “the list of signings”. That’s a list of some of the signings.

Anyway it’s ridiculous to reduce a discussion on O’Neill to his signings and ignore his trophies and the competitiveness in Europe etc.

Yeah he was a great motivator but there was plenty more to him than that (though it doesn’t suit your simplification).

Heard a piece of Martin O’ Neill’s rant on Talksport there. He laid into the OTB crew and the Irish football media at large. You love to see it. Miguel Delaney was reacting to that snippet on Drivetime then and told Cormac O’ Hara that MON had managed us at the tail end of the Italia 90’ era. Bearing in mind he took charge a full 24 years after 1990🙄 The football journalists are still trying to absolve themselves of all blame and engage in whataboutary.

5 Likes

The Liverpool heads whinging about Irish fans booing Dutch players during an international game, “ye can’t be at that lads they play for the pool”. Oddballs.

1 Like

Liverpool are the most hated club in Ireland after rangers

Gakpo was booed for diving?

VVD for being a massive cunt

Incorrect.

Both were booed because they played for Liverpool.

Kerr won the only real trophy the Irish soccer team has ever won at any level