Irish banking shares

Text that to Newstalk :clap: - it was the private sector that ruined ths country

Reports suggesting €23.5 bn needed, with most of it going to AIB which will be merged with EBS, BOI need €5bn but will try to raise it themselves.

€13bn to AIB I believe. €24bn overall.

Total bailout now stands at €70bn which is €15,500 for every man woman and child in the country.

To put that in context, if the United States was forced to bail out its banking industry to a similar level you’d be talking $6,700bn at current exchange rates.

Some other figures also

• US national debt is $14,213,923,632,346 which is $45,809 for every person in the country.
  • Irish national debt is going to be €192,800,000,000 by 2013 which is €43,125 for every person.

Not sure what to take from them but interesting nonetheless.

What I take from it (kind of off topic for this thread) is that unless the US gets its deficit under control it will face a day of reckoning for the amount of debt it has built up. Different rules for a country as big as the States obviously so it will take longer, but the day will come.

Interesting indeed briantinnion. Would that be $6.7 trillion?

Quick question though - by your maths there are only 310k people in the USA. From Flano’s jibber jabber around here I got the impression that it was quite a big place with loads of people. He must be mistaken.

Excellent auditing Appendage, I missed 3 digits in typing the total amount, have corrected it now.

That would indeed be $6.7trillion I believe.

Elderfield has come and said the Irish banks need a further 4bn cash injection. FFS.

He could’ve just rolled off and fell asleep but no, he had to go and say that.

Rocko this search function is great!

:lol:

Ben knew the score.

:lol: Jugs had an absolute mare here.

:guns: :clap: :clap: :clap:

The first page is great reading.

+1. Maybe we should have a People that were deluded thread.

Bandage saw this a long way out :clap:

Rocko is lucky this place is such a cash cow as his investment skills are dodgy at best.

Bandage could you start a weekly stock picking column?

:lol:

An awful lot made today of the positive development where a family have had €150k written off their AIB mortgage and are allowed to remain in the family home.

I don’t know all the details of this (obviously) but it strikes me that this goes to the heart of some of the social issues we have in this country that helped create the overborrowing etc in the first place. This family have “parked” €40k of their mortgage and have had €150k written off and are now left with a €200k mortgage. And the big new generous development is that they’re allowed to stay in their house - which we’re told is worth €100k. How is this a good deal at all? They should be surrendering that home, going bankrupt and leaving those debts behind.

Instead the spin on the deal is that everyone won’t be as “lucky” but it does give great hope to other borrowers out there.

[quote=“Rocko, post: 915382, member: 1”]An awful lot made today of the positive development where a family have had €150k written off their AIB mortgage and are allowed to remain in the family home.

I don’t know all the details of this (obviously) but it strikes me that this goes to the heart of some of the social issues we have in this country that helped create the overborrowing etc in the first place. This family have “parked” €40k of their mortgage and have had €150k written off and are now left with a €200k mortgage. And the big new generous development is that they’re allowed to stay in their house - which we’re told is worth €100k. How is this a good deal at all? They should be surrendering that home, going bankrupt and leaving those debts behind.

Instead the spin on the deal is that everyone won’t be as “lucky” but it does give great hope to other borrowers out there.[/quote]
You’d wonder why people who still have mortgages bother their holes paying them? I’m baffled by this story tbh.

The first page of this thread is gold. How come the only person who wasn’t completely and utterly wrong, @BenShermin , doesn’t post here anymore? Or does he?