Irish soccerball nil - That boy Bazunu will save us (Part 1) 🐐

Eh, no

Midfielders: Aiden McGeady (Sunderland), Jeff Hendrick, Robbie Brady (Burnley), Glenn Whelan, Conor Hourihane (Aston Villa), David Meyler (Hull City), Harry Arter (Bournemouth), Eunan O’Kane (Leeds United), Wes Hoolahan (Norwich City), Callum O’Dowda (Bristol City), James McClean (West Bromwich Albion)

Makes that Meyler booking all the more tragic.

1 Like

Everton ruining James McCarthy’s hamstrings is really biting us now too.

Along with their pathetic S&C regime which ensured Seamus Coleman’s leg couldn’t withstand that over enthusiastic lunge from Neil Taylor.

1 Like

I was never as down on him as others but he’s definitely on the wane from the dizzy heights of near-mediocrity. Fuck all options though as others have said.

A shame about the injury to McCarty. He would have been the ideal replacement for Meyler in that holding role.

Are we looking at Eriksen v Whelan?

In useless trivia,its 8 years this weekend since Whelan hit that wondergoal vs Italy in Croke Park in the 2-2 draw. Only him, Johnno and Aiden remain from the starting 11, and Westwood from the subs. Fucking hell but Westwood has spent some amount of his life on the Irish bench.

The Irish team and subs that day were

Republic of Ireland
1 Shay Given (G)
4 John O’Shea
5 Richard Dunne
2 Sean St Ledger
6 Glenn Whelan
8 Keith Andrews
11 Liam Lawrence
3 Kevin Kilbane
7 Aiden McGeady
10 Robbie Keane Š
9 Kevin Doyle
Substitutes
18 Leon Best
14 Martin Rowlands
17 Stephen Hunt
12 Paul McShane
13 Eddie Nolan
15 Noel Hunt
16 Keiren Westwood (G)

1 Like

Brady into the middle O’Dowda to the wing

Who plays the losing role then? Can’t trust Hendrick or Arter there IMO.

Through your fingers from behind the sofa

2 Likes

What channel is the Northern Ireland game on cc @ChocolateMice @caulifloweredneanderthal

Sky Sports something or other

1 Like

St Ledger is now playing with Solihull Moors.

But he’s Caucasian?

1 Like

I meant for Ireland mate.

Trap did some job with that squad.
Midfield five of
McGeady- Arter- Brady-Hendrick- McClean?

I don’t think any of that proposed central three are suited to playing a holding more disciplined role. Johnny Giles would argue a midfielder is a midfielder and there’s no such thing as a holding midfielder but Hendrick plays the shuttling up and down role, Brady doesn’t really have positional discipline when playing infield and Arter is a bit of a headless chicken.

1 Like

Arter is the closes to a holding midfielder out of that group but he’s not good enough at it alright. He played pretty well in Wales after a poor start but he was more replicating Hendrick at that point rather than sitting deeper. I don’t think we’ve any choice other than Whelan really.

Can MON be bold with his selection?

Play Arter & Hendrick central and McLean & Brady outside them. Slab up top with Wes playing off him. Wes would at least give us an option of killer pass on the floor.

Don’t think you start Wes at home.

Why would you start Wes away but not at home?

Ireland always have that draw at worst and defend.

Ireland a far better team to watch In away games imo.