Irish History

Interesting article with an unusually negative slant on how a group of irish emigrants fared in america

3 Likes

Good read. Some less than favourable comments enclosed. I liked the one “a cunning which a life of pauperism gives”…… Sore one for the Connies.

1 Like

Relatives of my father emigrated from Borris in Carlow and settled in a township In Minnesota called Kilkenny. The ancestors are still there. You’d wonder how bad things were in Ireland in the 1880s that a winter in Minnesota was a better bet.

2 Likes

Hard reading

Sure I suppose they hadn’t a breeze what they were signing on for. Only the promise of land

1 Like

They were poor peasants without education skills money or even the English language so-really hadn’t a hope without help, and it came too late

Get’s Twitter account is brilliant for the history of WWII in Ireland.

3 Likes

I never knew that. I live 10 minutes from Foynes. The museum there is supposed to be decent.

The Klares were lording it over the Shannonsiders

2 Likes

The @balbec crowd didn’t have much belief in equality

Up at the in-laws this weekend. The wife’s Aunt brought these from her house in Liverpool. They were her fathers. One of them is 100 years old. Some great reading in them.

10 Likes

This one too.

1 Like

Ex-BBC journalist urged to pay reparations for ancestor’s role in Irish famine

Laura Trevelyan says she would consider compensation if the Irish government found her family liable for disaster in the 1840s

ByHayley Dixon, SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT1 May 2023 • 7:14pm

Laura Trevelyan says she thinks her family shouldn't pay reparations for actions of ancestor during the Irish famine

A former BBC presenter has said that her family would consider paying compensation for the Irish famine as her ancestor “failed” people.

Laura Trevelyan, whose great, great, great-grandfather Sir Charles Trevelyan oversaw the UK government’s response to the tragedy, said that her family would consider reparations if the Irish government found her family were “liable”.

Ms Trevelyan’s family have already agreed to donate £100,000 to the Caribbean island of Grenada to atone for the slave holdings of their ancestors, who had six sugar plantations on the island in the 1800s.

After issuing the apology and promising the money for community projects in February, the US-based British broadcaster quit her job at the BBC in order to become a “roving advocate” for reparative justice.

But she has faced questions over why the family were willing to pay for reparations in the Caribbean but not closer to her ancestral home.

After the apology, Katherine Mezzacappa, an Irish novelist, asked if the Trevelyans had: “Any word on Charles Trevelyan’s catastrophic handling of famine relief in Ireland?”

1 Like

What will Celtic paddy have to pay the descendants of the Tuatha de Danann, it will be in the trillions with all the compound interest.

What a load of nonsense.

6 Likes

They must be loaded.

Why wouldn’t they be and the ancestors after plundering the colonies. The great great grandfather got a years salary as a bonus for his handling of the famine.

3 Likes

He was chartered.

Pay money to whom? It’s not worth a fuck, the poor craters are all long gone. You keep your money and we’ll keep our hatred.

The poor bastard is only known because of that awful song.