Irish Travellers - A Proud Ethnic Group

You’d “say” but the fact is Ireland is in the 20 least corrupt nations in the world according to Transparency International.

Which proves my point - We have a culture of corruption that is just accepted and not punished… Prime example - the banking crisis - Iceland jailed the bastards - and I believe the Brits did something similar yesterday? Paddy bitches and moans but just accepts it.

Corruption levels are bound to be low when there are no laws against it.

Ireland has jailed some bankers as well you know.

I love how you lads on here just “know” it’s worse in Ireland. “Only in Ireland”, “Banana Republic”…yawn.

1 Like

Another factually incorrect post.

Page 110 onwards.

Can we improve? Always. But let us not lie.

Ha ha. 2 or 3.

Afaik there has only been one successful conviction for insider trading in Ireland.

Lack of resources given to the ODCE resulted in the farcical Seanie Fitz prosecution. Ireland isn’t corrupt because there are no laws against it.

I never said it’s worse — My point was simple - on every level of Irish society there is both moral and criminal corruption - and the travelling community is not unique on that front, but perhaps proportionally high… I recognize compared to underdeveloped countries we have things good but that doesnt mean a culture of corruption doesn’t exist, mate - We very much excuse white collar crime in this country … but that’s drifting from my point - travellers are very much on a par with hundreds of thousands of people who live in low income areas but we just turn a blind eye to them also.

I’m by no means a lefty loony by the by.

Your statement said;

That was wrong, factually incorrect. You’re now windmilling.

Sadly we don’t have statistics on crime rates amongst travelers.

However, we do know that;

• 84% are unemployed
  • for 55%, their highest educational attainment level is Primary School

We know internationally and domestically that criminals tend to come from the more uneducated, poor and unemployed section of society.

So you’re right that they’re no different to any other low income area, but the proportions are clearly going to be far higher with those kinds of statistics associated with them.

I don’t believe travellers should be treated any differently on any front. I don’t believe in declaring travellers as an ethnic group. It’s putting a target on your back though when on the one hand you have people screaming for them to be recognised as a unique ethnicity and you have these social problems in amognst them. If you want to be treated as a unique grouping then people with identify you with characteristics.

1 Like

Your point was Ireland is not a corrupt country. One insider trading conviction in the history of the state would lead gullible people to believe that yes, Ireland is not corrupt. However the reality is much different, there is no appetite to tackle white collar crime in this country.

You only need to look at yesterday’s PAC meeting to see the lack of accountability and transparency in Ireland. We rely on tribunals and hearings to get to the truth and sometimes these are even used as a cover. The worse that can happen those under investigation is that their “good” name is sullied. There is nothing to deter corruption as the chances of being caught and found guilty are slim. In less corrupt countries the laws and appetite are in place to tackle it.

What’s going on with the Garda finance officer?

Haven’t heard?

I saw a headline only.

I pointed out that Ireland is one of the least corrupt countries in the world. That is based on international comparisons.

I pointed out that you claiming that Ireland has no anti corruption laws is incredibly wrong.

I pointed out that Ireland has jailed bankers when another claimed they didn’t.

You mention above “less corrupt countries”. That would be one of the 18 out of 150 odd ranked. You mention these countries have anti corruption laws, but were unaware that Ireland has them.

The simple fact is you’re talking out of your hole and need have a bit of perspective. Stop listening to the incessant moaning about Ireland in media. It isn’t that bad a place. Joe Duffy being given what is essentially a local cranks call in show on our main national radio station breeds much of this.

Did I say Ireland doesn’t have corruption? NO
Did I say we can’t improve? NO

3 Likes

Who’s windmilling now? You constantly moan about welfare cheats and now you’re on about travellers. All fine and dandy but your hypocrisy when dealing with white collar crime is laughable.

One conviction for insider trading

2 or 3 bankers jailed after the crash in Ireland. Agencies like Transparency International would no doubt admire such low level crime. Piththey wouldn’t dig a little deeper.

Interesting to compare Ireland with Iceland and how they dealt with their crash.

The tans even jailed HSBC employees yesterday afaik— In Ireland they are given the freedom of Dublin.

You’re immune from prosecution in Ireland as long as you wear a suit while committing the crime.

1 Like

Or play rugby.

2 Likes

Or so long as you’re from a good upbringing or a bad upbrigning. It’s pretty hard to go to jail here really.

1 Like

Hey up. You’re going to get some grief from a hape of screaming mullalys now
:joy::joy::joy::joy: