Liverpool - The Miracle of Istanbul

Some players have scored more goals.

Others have won more Champions Leagues.

But nobody has dominated this competition more than Kaka.

:smiley:

:smiley:

Kaka is the top scoring midfielder in Champions League history.

He wasn’t the best but some people do forget how good Kaka was

It is a fair point to a certain extent, he was peerless when at his peak but similar to Ronaldinho he lacked the real longevity at the top compared to others, was never the same once he left AC for Real.

It is an interesting debate, hard to think of too many who would have claims to be better, Ronaldo & Messi currently. Zidane bottled too many big games, Raul was immense at times for Madrid but also had a few poor years during his lean years back around 2003 to 2006. Anders Iniesta has been consistently excellent in recent times

[quote=“chewy louie, post: 867336, member: 1137”]It is a fair point to a certain extent, he was peerless when at his peak but similar to Ronaldinho he lacked the real longevity at the top compared to others, was never the same once he left AC for Real.

It is an interesting debate, hard to think of too many who would have claims to be better, Ronaldo & Messi currently. Zidane bottled too many big games, Raul was immense at times for Madrid but also had a few poor years during his lean years back around 2003 to 2006. Anders Iniesta has been consistently excellent in recent times[/quote]
It would take you to label Zidane a bottler alright!! :confused:

He did bottle the most important moment of his career

He was seen in his time at Juventus as a bottler in big European games by their fans. He was outstanding for France and nobody is doubting his ability and greatness but he didn’t have anywhere near as big an impact on big games at club level and there are many others who had a far bigger impact in the Champions League. This has been discussed on here before

He’s the best European footballer in the last 50 years who has won everything as a player,the opinions of us wont matter a shit.

As I said I am not disputing his greatness. He was a brilliant player but his reputation wasn’t built on his performances in the Champions League which is what @Rudi question is about, it was built more so on his outstanding performances for the French national team where he was peerless.

Dead right, he only scored two in a World cup final.

Kaka is my favourite player of all time. What a graceful player.

When he scored the winning goals and was motm in the world cup final

Or when he scored the winning goal in a CL final?

[quote=“artfoley, post: 867348, member: 179”]When he scored the winning goals and was motm in the world cup final

Or when he scored the winning goal in a CL final?[/quote]
No when he got himself sent off over some simple insults when he was captain in a world cup final

Kaka was immense for a 3/4 year period alright. But then, what player has been at the very top for longer? The current two, Mes-aldo, are at the top of their powers currently, and at levels I don’t think Kaka reached.

Seedorf, Drogba, Inzaghi all get a shout but are a level below the three above.

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 867353, member: 1796”]Kaka was immense for a 3/4 year period alright. But then, what player has been at the very top for longer? The current two, Mes-aldo, are at the top of their powers currently, and at levels I don’t think Kaka reached.

Seedorf, Drogba, Inzaghi all get a shout but are a level below the three above.[/quote]
In big champions league games has Ronaldo been better than Kaka? Definitely not IMO

[quote=“Mark Renton, post: 867353, member: 1796”]Kaka was immense for a 3/4 year period alright. But then, what player has been at the very top for longer? The current two, Mes-aldo, are at the top of their powers currently, and at levels I don’t think Kaka reached.

Seedorf, Drogba, Inzaghi all get a shout but are a level below the three above.[/quote]
:confused:

The revisionism over Zidane is frightening.

France 98, got himself banned in the group stages. Returned to the quarter final against Italy where he did nothing in the game and can be very grateful Di Biagio missed the decisive peno. Croatia up next, he completely shat his pants again and Lilian Thuram was the hero scoring two goals, one of them a magnificent solo effort. Scores two headers from corner in the final against a Brazil team with an unfit Ronaldo and he becomes a superstar. During that time with Juventus he was known to be a very talented but flaky performer. He didn’t really have a great influence on that Juventus side which had already dominated Italian football for the majority of the 90s before he arrived.

Euro 2000 he was excellent but was upstaged by Totti. Got his move to Madrid, was part of a team of superstars who really underachieved during that spell.

2002 WC, I think he was injured, don’t know if he played. France went out in the group stage.

2004 European Championships, had a good group stage before disappearing against Greece.

2006 World Cup, good games against Spain and Brazil but failed to make much of an impact in the other bar score a couple of penalties.

Zidane is rightly rated behind the likes of Totti, Nedved and Rui Costa in Italy - players who played in a similar role during the same era as he did.

In a way Zidane reminds me a little of Zlatan only he’s not as good. He was someone who never really dominated the game but could decide it with a moment of quality. He was also very lucky to have played with the best teams around at that time. His reputation in football stands because of a skewed recap of France 98 and the fact that he left Italy at the right time, there were three players playing in a similar position to him who were outperforming him.

[quote=“Rudi, post: 867356, member: 1052”]The revisionism over Zidane is frightening.

France 98, got himself banned in the group stages. Returned to the quarter final against Italy where he did nothing in the game and can be very grateful Di Biagio missed the decisive peno. Croatia up next, he completely shat his pants again and Lilian Thuram was the hero scoring two goals, one of them a magnificent solo effort. Scores two headers from corner in the final against a Brazil team with an unfit Ronaldo and he becomes a superstar. During that time with Juventus he was known to be a very talented but flaky performer. He didn’t really have a great influence on that Juventus side which had already dominated Italian football for the majority of the 90s before he arrived.

Euro 2000 he was excellent but was upstaged by Totti. Got his move to Madrid, was part of a team of superstars who really underachieved during that spell.

2002 WC, I think he was injured, don’t know if he played. France went out in the group stage.

2004 European Championships, had a good group stage before disappearing against Greece.

2006 World Cup, good games against Spain and Brazil but failed to make much of an impact in the other bar score a couple of penalties.

Zidane is rightly rated behind the likes of Totti, Nedved and Rui Costa in Italy - players who played in a similar role during the same era as he did.

In a way Zidane reminds me a little of Zlatan only he’s not as good. He was someone who never really dominated the game but could decide it with a moment of quality. He was also very lucky to have played with the best teams around at that time. His reputation in football stands because of a skewed recap of France 98 and the fact that he left Italy at the right time, there were three players playing in a similar position to him who were outperforming him.[/quote]
Was he not player of the year the year he left Italy? Rui Costa ffs-a lovely player but not in the same league.