Is Wayne Rooney Finished Again?

How many of Rooneys goals for England were from penalties, free kicks and shit opposition? He scored once at a World Cup and his only other goals at a tournament were when he was a teenager - Jimmy Greaves was imo the best England striker going on stats

1 Like

Micheal Owen is a cock sucking ferret.

There’s no question Rooney disappointed at major tournaments for England. You have to consider the teams he played on though, as after the 2004 Euros England have been consistently rubbish. The England teams that Shearer played on in 96 - 00 were far superior, in relative terms, to the crap Rooney was surrounded with most of his international career.

I haven’t mentioned Michael Owen mate. He is a complete cunt though yes

In the last 27 years England had 2 great chances to win big tournaments . On each occasion Paul Gascoigne was outstanding . He was England’s best talent since Bobby Charlton.

1 Like

I know, pal.

Would agree with that. Treated shamefully by that utter prick Glenn Hoddle in 98.

I think Rooney had shit load of talent but he was very much a form player. And he was rarely on top form. Two spells come to mind when he was devastating:

1. The 2004 Euros and early spell at United.
  2. Period from January to April 2010 before he got injured playing against Bayern in the CL and was rushed back by Ferguson for the second leg.

Other than that he has spell where he has been awful and spells where he has been ok and has been relatively consistent in his goalscoring.

I always got the feeling that him at his devastating form was truly top class but ultimately that didn’t happen near enough, especially when you consider Ronaldo as his incredible consistency.

Both Shearer and Rooney have played roughly for similar time in the Premier League (14 years) and Shearer is 60 goals ahead of him despite playing for Newcastle for 10 years.

Shearer pisses on Rooney.

3 Likes

Just Fontaine

Incorrect.

Shearer played 559 games domestically compared to Rooney’s 462 to date. It’s not inconceivable that Rooney plays for another 3 or 4 seasons until age 35, as Shearer did.

The PL that Shearer played in was far inferior to the one Rooney played in, simply look at the prevalence of international p[layers in the Rooney era. Shearer’s era was largely domestic players, Rooney was playing for and against top sides that had mainly international players, Chelsea and Arsenal frequently had no domestic player.

Shearer is greatly overrated imo, if he was truly a great he would have signed with a big club.

What a load of scutter - He didn’t play for a big club so he’s over rated – the players are better in the prem in the Rooney era … Christ above…

Players are vastly over hyped in England over the last 10 years or so … If anything the game is gone far too soft and defence doesn’t exist any more - The premier league Shearer was in was a far tougher league physically and better defensively. Rooney did it surrounded by the best money could buy, Shearer did it at Newcastle.

What are you on about, you clown.
If Shearer was a great, he would have signed with a big club, as all greats do. Lineker, Rooney and even Owen played for big clubs.
In terms of quality, the PL from 92 to 03/04 was crap. Man Utd and Arsenal won 11 of the 12 titles ffs, and most clubs were just cannon fodder. Shearer scored lots of goals playing against shit teams.
How many Champions League games did Shearer play in and score in, where he would be playing against the highest quality opposition of the time?

He turned down Man Utd mate

Which makes my point, he turned down the biggest club (by far) of the era he played in. He also turned down offers from big European clubs I believe. All the greats want to play with big clubs, Shearer was a journeyman for a mid table EPL club (most of his career) who scored lots of goals against mainly rubbish opposition.

Yes, I do agree with that, also a number of tournaments he went into with picking up injuries towards the end of the season etc
I would imagine though that if he puts down a good season at Everton and remains injury free, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s coaxed out of retirement for the World Cup

Shearer turned down utd to stay with his boyhood club, fuck all wrong with that and if anything it makes his scoring more impressive compared to Rooney who has had big money players around him at utd… The premier league peaked around 00-05/06 and it has been in decline since as the money has just become ridiculous. … Anyway, Rooney was a better all round player but I’d plumb for Shearer if we are talking about goal scores, he constantly did it and performed at international tournaments, the highest stage…
Take off your Man Utd pjs and calm down.

Rooney started straight into the ‘Premier League’ at 16. Shearer was 22 when the ‘Premier League’ begun,

That has to be factored in.

The united fanboys are still seething that Shearer told the pisshead to fuck off, twice :grin:

5 Likes

In terms of fat and overrated England players he was undoubtedly one of the best.