It's grim up North

18 Brits were blown to bits
Down by the Narrow Water

1 Like

He mugged you off mate. Royally…You had the bodies and we’re sober.
I’d have choked the bastard.

1 Like

Just back from a great weekend in Belfast for the fathers 60th. Went to the Culturlann on the falls road and got a local historian :wink: to give us a couple of hours tour of the place taking in Ballymurphy, Clonard, Milltown, Divis area, Bombay Street and everything in between. It was really heartwarming to see the efforts been made to establish Gaelscoileanna. The Irish language was very prominent, between over hearing it on the streets and displayed on signage etc.

There were more official black taxi tours in operation through the eyes of a republican or loyalist. Made me think to myself what perspective would tourists have more affinity/empathy with and therefore elect to chose.

There is a deep frustration amongst our Northern comrades at the ambivalence and supremest attitudes of people, politicians and media alike which I tried to pour cold water on by blaming self serving politicians and agenda laden scribes.

It had been 2 or 3 years since I had been up but the hatred and contempt is still as entrenched as ever and I think the brexit vote has only inflamed matters with border polls and Irish unity not such fanciful notions anymore. There was a buzz of anticipation in the air ahead of assembly elections this Thursday and a real hope that the DUP were going to get a kicking. The fact that Foster has given immunity to all british soldiers, RUC personnel not to be investigated for parts played in the troubles has really angered the nationalist community. Ventured into Mordaur only fleetingly.

7 Likes

Back to Belfast myself this weekend. There’s always a lovely edge to the city.

1 Like

Leaders’ Debate on BBC NI.

Michelle O’Neill is a fragrant Fenian princess.

Arlene Foster is getting it tight from all sides.

Who was the massive yoke on the right?

Naomi Long, Alliance.

Lord Jesus, she must be 25 stone.

A political heavyweight.

2 Likes

Foster wiped the floor with O’Neill there.

O’Neill is a political lightweight.

We will have a good day today — not sure if it will be a great day. Number of voters are up in a lot of nationalist areas.

3 Likes

When can we expect to hear the first initial results? Any indications on how things are going to go from the exit polls?

Exit polls :joy:

1 Like

Fenian princess Orlaith Flynn tops the poll in West Belfast.

2 Likes

Cathal Boylan (SF) elected in Newry and Armagh

Sinn Féin’s Michelle O’Neill topped the poll in Mid Ulster and looks set to bring in her two running mates.

1 Like

Sinn Féin’s Elisha McCallion was the first candidate elected in Foyle, topping the poll with 9,205 over a quota of 7,437.

Chris Hazzard (SF) elected in South Down

Sinéad Ennis (SF) elected in South Down.