It's grim up North

North Antrim DUP MP Ian Paisley Jr has described an article about him in today’s Daily Telegraph newspaper as defamatory, saying it is devoid of logic and that he has referred it to his solicitor.

In a twitter post, Mr Paisley also states that he will refer himself to the Westminster Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards.

:thinking:

1 Like

How would you end up getting bribed by Sri Lanka? What a bizarre story.
Why would Sri Lanka bribe a no mark NI politician, obviously the DUP has some minor clout now, but 4 years ago?

Ordinary members can still ask questions in the house and put forward private members bills.

There was an exposé a few years ago by the BBC on some back bench Tory MP. They basically pretended to from the government of Fiji and bribed him with cash and gifts to ask questions in the house and in committees that purported to be in Fiji’s national interest. I’d say something similar is going on here.

Interesting reportage from RTE. Paisley’s denial is the headline, and the first few paragraphs. The actual allegations are slipped in near the end of the piece. I doubt a Sinn Fein MP would have been treated similarly.

2 Likes

You’re right. They’d have got ten grand and a weekend in Bundoran.

5 Likes

They won’t get equality of bribing rights until they take their seats in the commons.

2 Likes

That Theresa May Arlene Foster intervention went well.

Fagan

Do you remember the Bombardier bus factory in Shannon ?

Did one bus ever come out of that place?

A few ok but I’d say but they wouldn’t have brought all of the Kerry support to an all Ireland semi .

The opening ceremony was a disaster I think .

What happened?

Did they have a flaming torch and accidentally set the buses on fire?

Did Diana Ross take a penalty at it?

1 Like

A bottle of champagne or some kind of fizzy plonk was used to launch . A splinter from the bottle cut a local dignitary . I googled it on you tube just now and lo and behold !!

Albert was the Minister for Industry and Commerce then .

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oK46FF4F5T4

2 Likes

That’s a magnificent video. :clap:

The engines of those Bombardier buses had a very distinctive whine.

:joy:

What fucking idiot thought it was a good idea to smash a champagne bottle off the side of a bus?

1 Like

Former mayor of Limerick, Clem Casey, the victim of flying glass and splashing champagne in that clip.

Yes , rings a bell .

The forced smile while he’s standing there with the champagne dripping off him is gas.

Signing in from St George’s market in Belfast. A wonderful place to spend some hours on a Saturday afternoon.

2 Likes

A great breakfast there .