It's grim up North

If you take the first half, I’ll take the second

Fair enough. May God grant us strength.

1 Like

By the way if we’re going with the famous five thing, I’m Timmy the dog

2 Likes

Thas grand. I’d like to be George, just for the crack.

Oh! You do know you’re bordering on the transgender issue with that one? Could get messy

Tell that to your aunt fanny

1 Like

Wans’t there a few mysteries that Aunt Fanny solved?

Due to the systematic slavery and lynchings which were perpetrated against black people in the US in the 19th and 20th centuries, and the other forms of discrimination which still occur today, such as gerrrymandering and voter suppression, perhaps 2019 would be a good time for blacks to gather together their own army and start a justified war to try to overthrow the US state by any means necessary?

Certainly if you’re to follow @anon7035031’s logic, it would be.

I don’t know,but she laid on a lovely picnic. She’d have been a great woman to send lads off to a county final.

Couldn’t tell you lad. I’m only a dog just waiting for the scraps.

Fair enough, make sure the banana skins are neatly folded and disposed of first though
I see another sermon has arrived. Maybe you should keep it to supplement the morphine

I’ll have tomorrow to work on it. Julianne, Dick and Anne are coming for breakfast. We have the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew on standby just in case.
Good night kid

1 Like

Goodnight Mike. Before you go I’d like to put on record my objection to the sexist and ungrateful manner in which the “outdoors” was given the credit for the carefully prepared and lovingly seasoned meal provided by aunt fanny.
Food tastes so much better outdoors me hole.

1 Like

I’ve changed my mind about you.
I used to think you were reasonably intelligent, but that’s possibly the most dimwitted statement I’ve seen not just on here, but on any forum.

It follows exactly your logic.

One doesn’t have to dig too hard to find what your real motivation is.

I think when it comes to things like famine, the word of the historian on it’s own is not valid enough. Famines require inter-disciplinary studies - and while the historian makes up one voice within that, I think you have to take a much broader approach to famine studies.

David Nally’s book Human Encumbrances is one such study - He uses biopolitics , famine theory, political philosophy, colonialism and post-structuralism to show how the English state engaged in centuries on political violence against the Irish… He doesnt suggest it was genocide … that term is incorrectly used in the context of the 19th century … but cleansing is probably more apt.

His main claim is the Famine was made possible by centuries of political violence used to regulate the Irish population other than brute force … of course, there was plenty of that also.

His take is that the tans were guilty of Faminogenic behaviour ---- While it was not genocide in the way we understand genocide, Britain was guilty of crimes of genocide.

Ciaran O’Murchadha also came to the same conclusion in his recent Anthology of the Irish Famine … We cant be guilty of putting modern terms on historic events - but at the same time, modern day Britain would have multiple charges to answer to an international criminal court on counts of genocide …

Nearly all historians tho do agree that the Famine could have been avoided … why wasnt it? At the height of the greatest (richest?) empire the world has seen, one of the greatest famines of modern times happens in their own back yard … to seek an answer as to why that was, you need to go beyond the ‘facts’ and deductions of historians.

10 Likes

It happened because the Brits hated us and were happy to sit back and watch us starve or leave. The Brits, especially the English, hated everyone who wasn’t English never British.

If anything good has come out of this thread, and it hasn’t, it’s that it’s brought @anon61878697 back to the forum.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

@Sidney and his sidekick @glasagusban hiding out in the Venezuela thread, afraid of their lives to reenter this thread :joy:

@Sidney, please list the Irish Republicans who called for an “extermination of Protestants”

@glasagusban, please outline the argument as to why the then British government was not directly responsible for the deaths of 1 - 1.5 million Irish people in the mid 19th century.