Jack Ross' Mackems Thread

Rodwell isn’t related to a footballer . He is English and athletic and ergo he commanded a wage and transfer fee that wasn’t commenserate with his ability .

Sunderland appear to be in a ferocious mess financially .

He didnt try an ounce … a gutless fucker.

1 Like

I cant believe you’re sticking up for Sunderland, a fucking sham of a Club. They deserve everything they get.

Sunderland are a noble football club. Great people.

Get rid of the rot like Rodwell and they’ll be back.

He’s a mackem mate. They got their karma for playing a paedo

If you’re looking for someone to blame for Sunderland woes and rodwells contract look no further than

There’s a lot of people at fault, her included.

Coleman sacked.

I have always said that Lee Cattermole was as alright a sort that you will find. Great interview with a top pro

‘I do things others aren’t willing to do’ — Dutch experience the Lee Cattermole Effect

By George Caulkin Sep 16, 2019 23

Lee Cattermole is standing at the top of the 63 steps that lead down from the dressing rooms towards the artificial pitch at De Koel. Dressed in blue suit and white trainers, he is “absolutely buzzing.” It is Saturday night and he has just played his first 90 minutes since Sunderland’s defeat in the League One play-off final and, aside from a touch of cramp, feels good.

He looks around this tiny stadium, to the beer stand blaring out Europop. He laughs.

“Different, isn’t it?” he says.

Cattermole’s home debut for VVV-Venlo, the Eredivisie club, has ended in a 2-1 victory over FC Groningen. His team rode their luck but he was in his element; shirt tucked in, shorts hitched high, cajoling, directing traffic, breaking up play. There is a moment in the second half when he chases down possession, pressing high. The crowd respond. “Lee, Lee, Lee, Cattermole, Cattermole, Cattermo-oo-ole…”

When the final whistle goes, Venlo’s players congregate in front of the home end — there are banners which read: “This Is Our House” and “Yellow Brick Army” — and sing with the crowd, dancing, lifting their arms. Cattermole is at the back, bouncing unconvincingly; your uncle at a family wedding. “I said to one of the lads, ‘Mate, I feel so uncomfortable’,” he says later. “But, hey, I’m chucking myself in.”

Media duties done, Cattermole makes for the sports bar where Barry, his dad, and a couple of mates from back home are waiting. There is a crooner belting out Blue Suede Shoes over a deafening backing track. The room is thronged. Stan Valckx, the sporting director, is in here, players, fans, all mixing together. Cattermole leans over and shouts, “This is fucking nuts!” He is laughing again.

It feels like a long way from the Stadium of Light and, as Steve McClaren, his first manager at Middlesbrough puts it, it also feels like a “brave move” for a player who is 31 — a new life, new country, new league — but Cattermole is a surprising man. On the pitch, he is no-frills (“my favourite niggling bastard,” a friend calls him) but off it, he is smart, self-analysing, hungry to “spread my wings a bit.”

Football is brilliant at cementing stereotypes but Cattermole is nothing like his. “People see things because they Google your name,” he says. “I signed here and they think you’re a certain type. It’s ridiculous, really. One of the young guys here said, ‘You’re so nice and chilled. Then you play … and you’re a beast!’ You get a reputation and it sticks.”

It stretches from the professional — “I came on in my first game, made a tackle and it was a yellow card. I didn’t even think was a foul!” Cattermole says — to his private life. “I’ve married into a family of Newcastle United fans,” he says. “Claire, my wife, is a corporate lawyer. Six or seven years ago, she has to go home and tell her parents she’s going out with me. Imagine the response! ‘You’re fucking joking. Isn’t he meant to be a …?’”

A what, exactly? Who is this man who made his debut for Middlesbrough at 17, whose early mistakes were public, who spent 10 years at Sunderland as they clung on in the Premier League and then dipped down the divisions, who is now in Holland, starting again and considering coaching? Why is he in this picturesque Dutch city, a few hundred metres from the German border?

On Friday lunchtime, he sat down with The Athletic to tell his story.

“I’d like to think I’m old-school values, a bit of a gent,” he says. “I like to speak to people. I’ve got this thing where, every day, I’ll try to communicate with someone on a good level. It might just be buying something from a shop, asking someone if they’re having a nice day. Basic things. If I’m travelling on a train, I always ask for help. People just use their phones and it takes for ever. People don’t ask any more, do they? Talking is good.”

He did it this summer. After their honeymoon, he and Claire returned via Saint-Emilion in France.

“I like wine and I go on all these wine tours and nobody knows anything — that’s what I think, anyway,” he says. “But Saint-Emilion was beautiful. Loved it. It reminded me of being in St Andrews for the golf because you’re surrounded by people who all have the same passion. You could just stop and talk to anyone.”

Cattermole had been due back at Sunderland for pre-season training on July 8 but a call came when he was away and a compromise was reached on the two years remaining on his contract. He was gone. “It’s been crazy,” he says. “Getting married, Wembley twice (they also reached the Checkatrade Trophy final), leaving, so much to take in.

“I could have gone to three or four clubs in the Championship and probably be in the bottom half but it was like moving out of a house you really love and trying to find another one you feel the same about. My missus asked me one day, ‘Do you actually want to carry on playing …?’

“I was doing ridiculous stuff to keep fit; running up and down the garden, the dogs chasing me, Claire serving me volleys. I was interested in playing in a different country and then heard about VVV. I looked into it, found out about the pitch … but I’ve hardly missed a training session in two years since my hip operation. So I came over and loved what they wanted from me. It ticked every box apart from one and the money wasn’t even a discussion.”

Valckx was impressed. More than that, he was “surprised”, he says.

“I knew about Lee and we were short of players in his position, but is this realistic? In the Premier League, he’s used to big, big wages and we have one of the smallest budgets in the Eredivisie. Our annual budget for the whole team, including salaries, for houses, cars, bonuses, is €3 million (about £2.4 million), so he hasn’t come for the money. Straight away, we were all convinced he could fit in very well.

“Venlo is a small city where football is important but it’s not the most important thing. People enjoy the good life; dining, a drink now and again. That’s the mentality. We have 19, 20 players. That means, in the end, they need each other. We want no-nonsense types. It’s not FC Hollywood and we will not win every game but enjoy it. That’s what we believe in. Lee was interested in a new adventure, somewhere he could have joy. We are a cult club and he is a cult icon.”

Valckx, 55, is a legend here, a former centre half who played for VVV in the mid-1980s before leaving for PSV Eindhoven, then Sporting Lisbon. This is his fifth year as sporting director. “We have no scouts,” he says. “I do all that. Sometimes, I am the barkeep, too.” McClaren, who had two spells as FC Twente’s head coach, is someone he knows well. “Lee is Stan’s type of player,” McClaren says. “A real chopper.”

Founded in 1903, VVV have plans to develop their 8,000-capacity ground, which nestles in a dip, surrounded by trees, to turf their pitch, but these things cost and cash is tight. “Our television income is €1.7 million for one season,” Valckx says. “We are a small miracle. You don’t see many trophies here! The main target is to survive in the Eredivisie.”

Valckx conducts an impromptu tour of the ground. He stops at the 63 steps (he skied down them once, during a particularly harsh winter). “You hear the sweetest words in the world here,” he says. “When opposition teams come they must climb and descend these stairs eight times; arrive, warm-up, first half, second half, 504 stairs. When they lose, all you hear is ‘these fucking steps’.”

The following evening, Groningen are beaten. They traipse up those fucking steps.

“Stan and the chief executive were in the dressing room,” Cattermole says. “Everyone is mucking in. I went to Wigan (Athletic) for a year and it feels the same. It’s full of volunteers. Sometimes clubs, training grounds, can be too big. Little keeps everyone close-knit. You can’t drift off into corners.”

That has never been Cattermole’s way. His first start for Boro was a Tyne-Tees derby match at St James’ Park in January 2006. “We had bad injuries,” McClaren says. “Steve Harrison, one of our coaches, said ‘Stick Cattermole in’. I said, ‘You’re joking, he’s only 17’ but he had fight and character, so we did it. He was unbelievable, head and shoulders above everyone else.” It was a 2-2 draw.

“I’m tingling thinking about it,” Cattermole says. “I was nervous beforehand; biggest stadium I’d seen. After the game, I remember Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink saying, ‘Hey Lee, I thought it was only me you kicked in training but you kick everybody.’ That was a compliment. In training now, I see young players standing on the fringes but you’ve got to be bold. It’s always been inside me. It’s caused me problems at times.”

At the end of that season, Cattermole was named captain in McClaren’s final league match. He appeared in the UEFA Cup final. He was still a kid. “Growing up, I’d got it into my head that I was going to play for Boro for free,” he says. “I don’t know why… but they were my team and I just wanted to play. I was obsessed. I was always practising, on my own, any time I had. When I was 10, I’d set up drills outside my house.

“We had a great group of young lads at Boro, all breaking into the team. I didn’t even think about where I was. I was loving it. We were young, we were going out in Middlesbrough. It was a totally different time. The awareness of life wasn’t there as much as it is now; there was a big drinking culture, card schools on buses, betting. That was the norm, but I was 17.”

He was also prominent. There have been a couple of high-profile incidents over the years — one during those early days, another while he was at Sunderland — but what’s the worst thing any of us have done with drink in the belly? Did anyone find out? Was it plastered over the papers? Is it still on Wikipedia?

“That was the hardest thing for me,” Cattermole says. “I went out on Yarm High Street; small place, drank too much, probably with too many people. I look back now and none of my best friends were there… It’s never been malicious, anything I’ve done. It’s never been fighting. I’ve never been a bad drunk. I’ve always enjoyed having a drink but it’s completely different to what it was back then. That’s growing up.

“Football stunts you in a lot of ways. You have a career from 16. Most people’s careers don’t start until they’re 24. They have their student life to get stuff out of their system, to figure things out. I was young and I had money. The rewards are massive, so let’s not kid ourselves, but there have been incidents when I’ve been walking through Newcastle and people say stuff…

“Or in a toilet, some guy will take his top off and try to… for what reason other than me doing what I love doing? It’s like, ‘Come on, mate.’ I’ve had two or three incidents in my whole career. It’s not so bad. There are a lot of situations which I think I’ve handled really well. Nobody sees that.

“And I’ve had a better sense of who I am for five or six years. It comes hand-in-hand with meeting Claire. I wasn’t enjoying going out and if you’re not enjoying it, you end up having more to drink. When you’re in different, nice environments you don’t get into bother because people aren’t interested.”

Joining Wigan in 2008 began the process of maturing. It had been “a crazy time,” at Middlesbrough, where Gareth Southgate had stepped straight from the pitch to the dugout, the team was struggling, and Cattermole was being asked to play out of position. “I arrived at Wigan the same age, one day later, but went from being a young player to an established first-teamer overnight,” he says. “I felt like an adult.”

There were two red cards that season but his star was rising. Rafa Benitez, then the Liverpool manager (and now a columnist with The Athletic ), was an admirer. “The Wigan chairman pulled me and said, ‘Stay with us one more year because there are big clubs talking to us about you’,” Cattermole says. “It’s all ifs and buts, isn’t it?”

When Steve Bruce left Wigan for Sunderland the following summer, Cattermole left with him. “I think I would have been a more rounded person earlier if I’d stayed away from the North East for another three or four years but Sunderland is a massive club and I’d had such a good season with Brucie,” he says.

He stepped onto the rollercoaster. “We had a good team,” he says, “And there was a mint buzz about the place. Steve wanted to build a team that was really aggressive, on the front foot.” Sunderland finished 13th and then 10th but big players left, the drift started and Bruce was sacked. He would be the first of Cattermole’s 10 permanent managers at the Stadium of Light.

It became dizzying. “Sunderland and Newcastle are so volatile because they’re so big,” he says. “If you look at Rangers and Celtic, that’s Sunderland and Newcastle. Imagine Celtic not winning. You don’t realise how big those clubs are unless you’re in them.”

Cattermole and Bruce at Sunderland (Photo: Andrew Matthews/Getty Images)

There was so much churn on Wearside – new dawns, new systems and a cycle of dismay, clinging on in the Premier League and then failing again. “I always tried to find a way to be positive but it just wasn’t right, the club,” Cattermole says. “You can’t put your finger on it. We fought for three years to stay up and probably didn’t deserve to.

“The only season we didn’t change managers was the year we went out of the Premier League. With some of them, you can’t say it shouldn’t have happened. Like (Paolo) Di Canio. The turnover was massive. There were always new beliefs. I’ve tried to follow every manager; you go again, you get some hope back, this is what we’re going to do and then, ‘For fuck’s sake, it’s happened again’.

“The owner would make a plan — one year, three years, five years — and then as soon as you lose four games, the plan’s gone. That’s where the club was at. We could never build. The Bruce era was good, Gus Poyet was changing things – I don’t like the word ‘identity’ but we were playing in a different way, holding the ball – but it’s that volatility, that size. You lose, confidence goes, fans don’t like what they’re seeing, it filters onto the pitch…

“You were constantly building relationships. Brucie knew I was good to have in the dressing room but maybe the next manager comes in and thinks, ‘This guy is causing havoc.’ If I’m seeing things I don’t like, do I say something? Is it because the manager wants a more relaxed environment? Do I fly into people in training if the manager thinks I’m upsetting everyone? You lose your stability as a player.

“I was a big player there for a long time and so I hold a lot of responsibility for what’s happened but when I went through the gates for training every morning, I always tried. You had to stick your chest out because younger players, staff, would be looking at you. I’d like to think I was always demanding in training, that I kept people going.”

Cattermole can only be associated with Sunderland’s successive relegations but as Stephen Goldsmith of the Wise Men Say podcast puts it, “When the house around him continued to burn down, he was the one standing firm and fighting back.”

Cattermole appreciates that. “It’s a brilliant, beautiful club,” he says. “It’s got loads of amazing people, but we needed leaders. Leaders at every level. People talk about having leaders in the dressing room but that counts for nothing. Nothing. Unless your club is looking after itself. How can we be leading in the dressing room if it’s kicking off everywhere else?”

What really hurt is that as Sunderland tumbled, Cattermole’s body proved treacherous.

“I played with a lot of injuries,” he says. “The season before my hip operation, I had three epidurals, which is huge — I was put to sleep and had a numbing injection, so I could go out and play. It was pretty horrific but we stayed in the Premier League and I wanted to do it.

“The injury was complicated and the pain would come and go. I was going to bed on a Friday night not knowing if I was going to be OK or not. There’d be a good day and then a bad day, and I’d be wrecked. Psychologically, it was tough. Sometimes, I’d go to sleep and then struggle to turn over. So it was the old pillow between your legs. There were a lot of painkillers. It got to the point where I was letting the team down.”

A decision was made to look at his hips; he was dispatched to Dr Richard Steadman’s clinic in Colorado. “I was flying over to America thinking, ‘I could be done here’ because that’s how bad I felt. That’s when I first started really thinking about coaching. But we got it sorted. I had a torn cam (in his pelvis) and my bone was pretty much banging against it. I’d been playing and living in pain for two seasons; longer really, because the symptoms were there from when I first joined.”

He could do little to prevent Sunderland’s first demotion under David Moyes. “I had two bad seasons in my eyes,” he says. “The year I was injured and then the season in the Championship; we couldn’t keep a clean sheet and we couldn’t score a goal. We didn’t know what we were doing.” He cannot bring himself to watch Sunderland ‘Til I Die, the Netflix documentary which chronicled it. “I lived through it,” he says.

In spite of the disappointment of Wembley in May, when they lost to Charlton, Cattermole believes he left Sunderland after “a real positive year. We’d had the takeover, the crowd was coming back, Jack Ross and his staff brought a new lease of life. I was fit. The club’s in a good position. And winning is good, wherever you do it. I know a lot Newcastle fans who enjoyed their season in the Championship more than the Premier League.”

All the upheaval has not put him off, whether playing for as long as he can or coaching.

“I like to encourage people,” he says. “I love the game. That’s where I was this summer. Unless I could carry on playing and do something I really wanted, I’d have happily said, ‘I’ve had a real good blast, I’ll do my badges and start wherever, the lowest level.’ Community stuff might be enough for me or it might be trying to push for the highest level possible.”

He is in the right place to absorb information. After Boro and England, McClaren won the title with Twente and, he says: “I knew nothing about football until I went to Holland. My coaching went up 10 levels. Lee will learn there. It’s a terrific move for him. It’s very tactical and technical and there’s a player culture in terms of responsibility.”

As with the post-match dancing, Cattermole has thrown himself in. “I don’t sit with the English-speaking lads when the manager is talking in Dutch because I want to follow what he’s saying from his emotions, the way he’s expressing himself. Hopefully, I’ll pick the language up. I’m more invested in myself now. I couldn’t be somewhere if I wasn’t learning. There have been so many different things. It’s life-changing.”

After three weeks in a hotel, he now has an apartment. “There’s nothing in it! So I’m going to stores and picking stuff up. Claire will be over in the middle of October. There are lots of cities to explore close by; Antwerp, Bruges, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Dusseldorf, Dortmund, Monchengladbach, Cologne. That’s what we’ll do on my days off.”

He is looking forward to her being there.

“We see things from totally different angles,” he says. “She’s clever. She’s made me realise I can’t always be so direct. Footballers are impatient. You know what you want and you go after it. But you’ve got to think about everyone else. We talk. We sit down at night and she’ll tell me all about her day, her work.”

His own graft is often about the “industrial stuff which allows the players with more ability to express themselves,” but isn’t tackling a precious talent in itself? “In the same way I need players with pace around me, they need my organisation,” he says. “I do things others aren’t willing to do or can’t. ‘Niggling bastard’ or ‘chopper’, I’ll accept. I enjoy that side of the game.

“I remember going to Newcastle with Sunderland in 2012, the season after we’d lost 5-1 there and didn’t lay a glove on them. I got a yellow card within a minute. All week, I knew I was doing that; not getting booked, but making the first tackle because I wanted us to make an impact. I remember Martin O’Neill telling Phil Bardsley to calm me down but I was completely in control.” At the end of a 1-1 draw, Cattermole was sent off for swearing.

“Football changes but it feels like everybody wants to play one way now,” he says. “I still think you’ve got to let the opposition know they’re in a game — don’t give them time and space to play in the first five or 10 minutes.”

At half-time against Groningen, Cattermole makes himself heard. VVV have just conceded an equaliser. “I could feel there was a bit of self-doubt,” he says. “I just said, ‘Let’s not have any regrets.’ We’ve got talented players but they’re young. That’s how I am. I couldn’t not be like that.” The second half is much better. In a different context, but thoroughly recognisable, the No 31 claps, shouts, runs, harries.

The week before, his new team-mates had played a little prank, joining him on the pitch with their shirts tucked in and their shorts pulled up. The club’s Twitter account called it the “Lee Cattermole Effect.”

“Brilliant,” he says. “But they all started saying, ‘Do you know what — this feels good!’ By the end of the season, they’ll all be doing that.” Once more, Cattermole laughs. “I tell you what’s funny, as I walked off, the chief executive pulled my shirt out — one of our main sponsors is on the bottom and I’ve been tucking it in. Shit. I said to him, ‘Come on, mate. I get that. But this is who I am.’”

3 Likes

I see Julie Louis Dreyfus has bought Sunderland

I’d say she paid a fair whack. Yer man Stewart Donald is a tough negotiator

1 Like