James McClean Appreciation Thread

I never made any reference to Britain. There’s no such place as Britain.

You made a big deal he was earning a living in England. Is the UK that fractured?

I’d love to hear him list out these examples

But they’re called Team GB

The United Kingdom is fractured when it comes to football. Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland all field separate international teams. All four operate separate domestic leagues with four teams from Wales, Cardiff City, Swansea City, Newport County and Wrexham competing in the English Football League.

I find it odd you think it’s noteworthy that a British person is working in England

2 Likes

People who call them that would be incorrect. You get that confused identity a lot when it comes to sport. Seemingly a lot of people in Carrickduff, Co. Carlow support the Wexford hurling team and even think they’re from Wexford.

They call themselves team GB geoff, its on their kit

@myboyblue beat me to the punch in clarifying this one for your this morning.

Incidentally, today is the 18th anniversary of Australia voting as loyal subjects of Her Majesty to remain part of the Commonwealth - 6 November 1999. Happy celebrating.

The Aussies love the English,
You may think it quite strange,
Cos we sent them off Downunder,
With only balls and chains.
And when they see the English,
They always shout and scream,
But when they had the chance to vote they voted for The Queen

God save your gracious Queen,
Long live your noble Queen,
God save your Queen,
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over you,
God save your Queen

2 Likes

I’m not British you retard. And it’s no longer the British isles.

Jeffrey is often tiresome and regularly wrong. But you’d have to feel sorry for the chap here. Hoisted by his own petard.

1 Like

Good interview with Paddy Mulligan on the TImes today…

‘James McClean has shown real moral courage’
Paddy Mulligan gives his strident views on Bloody Sunday, Eamon Dunphy, Martin O’Neill, Christian Eriksen and Wes Hoolahan

Paddy Mulligan was sitting in his London home on the night of Bloody Sunday. His telephone rang, a familiar voice on the other end of the line. “Paddy, it’s Eamon Dunphy.”

They had known each other since childhood, Mulligan the hard-nosed Home Farm defender, Dunphy the skilful playmaker from Stella Maris. “He was an excellent schoolboy player,” Mulligan said. “But a very poor international. I laugh when I hear him talk now about moral courage because all I can remember of Eamon’s days in an Ireland shirt were the number of times he would pull out of tackles. It was embarrassing. Even now, he just plays to the gallery, saying what he thinks the public want to hear. I never warmed to the fella much.”

There was so much anti-Irish feeling fired towards us then that you had to keep your head down
Nor was he warming to the idea that Dunphy was putting forward this time, the question of whether Irish players should wear black armbands the following Saturday in respect of the unlawful killing of 14 civilians on Derry’s streets. “Let’s be clear about this,” Mulligan said. “What happened on Bloody Sunday was awful. Horrendous. But there was so much anti-Irish feeling fired towards us then that you had to keep your head down. It wasn’t a comfortable place to live.”

All this came back to him last week. As he sat across the coffee table in a city-centre hotel, it was hard to believe that the grey-haired raconteur with the dodgy hip was once the man who Dave Sexton took to one side and said, ‘Today, Paddy, I want you to take care of George Best’. Quick and intuitive, he brought the simplicities of the playground to a tough game, one in which he came off the bench when Chelsea met Real Madrid in the 1971 Cup Winners’ Cup final.

“There were some real lunatics in that Chelsea team,” Mulligan, right, said. “Talk about a drink culture. That week of the Cup Winners’ Cup final, we drew with Real on the Wednesday, replayed the game on the Friday, and four or five lads went on the tear on the Thursday. There is no logic in football. No way should we have won that replay. Somehow we did. The day before the game we gave out hell to the drinkers but once there was alcohol involved, they didn’t pay any attention. Alan Hudson should have been a great player. But he drank too much. Put it this way he, was no Johnny Giles. Gilesie was the best midfielder of his generation but he didn’t get the credit for being that at the time, simply because he was Irish. There was serious bias against us back then.”

Tensions between the countries may have eased considerably since but the events of the past two Saturdays served as a reminder to Mulligan of how the Irish issue remains unexplained to an English audience. Remembering how he felt on that January evening 45 years ago, there is something about James McClean’s principled stance in refusing to wear a poppy because of Bloody Sunday that he finds deeply admirable.

McClean refuses to wear a poppy because of Bloody Sunday

“Dunphy talks about moral courage, but the meaning of those words exists in that young man,” Mulligan said. “I mean, he’s the only player in England not to wear the poppy emblem. A large part of me thinks he should because he is living in their country, making a living from their clubs, so therefore you go by their customs. But James is from Derry. His beliefs are strong even though he’s getting hell for it. I like that in him. I like the fact that, as a player, he gives his all and, as a person, he stands up for what he believes in.”

Like McClean, Mulligan spent a large chunk of his career at West Bromwich Albion, moving there a few months after the Birmingham pub bombings, when 21 people were killed by the IRA. The subsequent years were harrowing. “You’d drive to training and there’d be at least one, maybe two, Special Branch cars trailing you,” he said. “Same coming home. One day, after an international, when we beat France 1-0 in 1977, I was detained at the airport for an hour. All we did was chat about football. They knew who I was. They were asking about the game, saying what a great win it was for us. But they were checking you out. It was a tough time. And yet, it was a great time. That was a golden time for English football. You’d so many great players — George Best was the Lionel Messi of our era. And the others, Dave Mackay, Denis Law, Kevin Keegan. You have to remember that it wasn’t just Liverpool who were winning European trophies back then. Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal, Tottenham and Nottingham Forest all did too.”

The Forest team he liked, particularly their curly haired right-sided midfielder who appeared alongside Mulligan in the Shamrock Rovers XI that played Brazil in an exhibition match in 1973. “I’ve always got on fine with Martin O’Neill,” he said, “even if he can be a bit of a cold individual at times.

Mulligan is not worried about Denmark but says Ireland must take their chances

“You have to say that he and Roy Keane are doing a reasonable job, getting nearly as much out of the team as is possible. Then again, when they were asked questions during the Euros, against Sweden and Belgium, they didn’t have the answers. Yes, they beat Italy but which Italian team was it? You had Gianluigi Buffon, a man I admire by the way, coming out like a clown after the game to celebrate with the Irish lads. Italy were already through and didn’t give two hoots about the result. Yet we eulogised the performance.

“Getting on to this campaign, the victories away from home were impressive, but when you look at that Welsh team we beat, as soon Gareth Bale and Joe Allen were taken out of their team, they were limited. We’re limited too by the way. All you can ask is the players give 100 per cent for the cause and they do that. Will that be enough against Denmark? Maybe it will be, because even though there is all this hype around Christian Eriksen, when I saw him play for Tottenham against Manchester United just over a week ago, he was anonymous. If people are going to say he is a world-class player, then he has to produce it in a testing environment. Eriksen didn’t at Old Trafford. So forget about him. Ireland have a chance. The key thing is that when chances come, we have to take them.

“Unfortunately, though, our main centre forward, Shane Long, is very hit and miss. So we have to be realistic about the whole thing.

Mulligan feels that Giles, right, was the best midfielder of his generation

“Martin is economical in how he sets up his team and takes flak about not playing Wes Hoolahan but the more I think about that, the more I agree with him. The lad is a nice little player but when you look at someone like Cesc Fàbregas and then look at Hoolahan, you have to realise they are centuries apart. Any time Fàbregas gets the ball, his first instinct is to pass it forward whereas Hoolahan’s first look is sideways and his second glance is backwards. If your job is to be a playmaker, you have to be able to pick a pass. I’m in the minority on this one, I know that, but O’Neill’s decision has been vindicated.

“In general Martin has done quite well but we seem to be getting very much like the English. We raise our expectations so high but any analysis of the team has to take into account the fact we are a small country competing with rugby and GAA. Germany have 70 million more people living in their country and last I checked, the GAA wasn’t that popular over there. So we need a bit of perspective. We’re doing OK.”

Life is treating Mulligan OK too. Over tea with him and his partner he is clearly grateful for the longevity of his career that took him from Shamrock Rovers to Chelsea, Crystal Palace, West Brom and 50 caps. And then, after 17 years in the game, it all came to an end. His darting runs became slower. His energy wasn’t quite the same and at 35 management beckoned.

Giles had resigned as Ireland manager, Alan Kelly’s tenure had been brief so a contest emerged between him and Eoin Hand to see who would become the boss. “I lost by two votes,” Mulligan said, smiling. “One vote was lost on an away trip. We were bored. One of the FAI officials had his back to us. I picked up the bun I was eating and fired it at him, hitting him in the back. Ray Treacy smiled, as did I. A few years later, the official voted for Eoin rather than me. The last laugh was his.”

Mulligan earned more than England’s World Cup captain
After making his senior debut for Bohemians, Mulligan moved to Shamrock Rovers in 1963 where he won six trophies, including four FAI Cups. He signed for Chelsea in 1969 and negotiated a weekly wage of £80-a-week. “I spoke to Bobby Moore a few years later, told him what I was on and he said, ‘count yourself lucky Paddy, that was £20 more a week than I was earning’.”

By the time he left English football in 1979, Mulligan’s earnings had risen to the princely sum of £120-a-week. “We weren’t rich,” he said.

2 Likes

I heard he was lethal from close range.

Not sure if this was posted anywhere yet.

1 Like

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/JamesMcC_14/status/943204811125809152

good on James

Calling out that snitch Kimmage

1 Like

That’s a lovely quote from Enid Bagnol